Aversion Therapy

Rotsne

Banned
Recently I saw that they would try a test here in Denmark using an electric tool. It was developed in Massachusetts. They have tested it in Norway and Australia.

Apperently it is the new thing to use. The experts here are very excited and wants to start a test of the devices soon.

I found an article about a school in the State using this concept:

School of Shock, Mother Jones, by Jennifer Gonnermann

Right now it is being debated in an ethics committee in our parliament. While I find that the students must live in fear, I can see that it limits the number of restraints, which are the biggest killer in residential facilities both in your country as well as in mine.

How do you feel about this kind of therapy?

klmno

I'm not sure I see a lot of difference between this and parents shooting their kids with bb guns to punish them.

tiredmommy

I don't understand how it could be considered therapeutic, particularly if the student has no control (or very little) over the negative behaviors due to psychological, mental or neurological issues.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm not sure I see a lot of difference between this and parents shooting their kids with bb guns to punish them.

Huh? I must have missed something...:wildone:

Rotsne...I'm surprised you have to ask. It's nothing short of barbaric.

Suz

F

flutterbee

There was a school for autistic children here in the states and there was an article about it within the last year or two. They used this so called "aversion therapy".

In reality, it's just a way to control the kids like cattle rather than providing treatment and interventions.

klmno

Suz, there was a thread a day or so ago about parents being arrested for punishing their young ones by shooting them with bb guns- my point was that I think using an "electric tool" for aversion is abusive.

susiestar

Roll With It
Aversion Therapy was proven to be ineffective in the long term many years ago. The person/mouse/whatever that is being shocked gets used to the shock and then it no longer works, so then the strength of the shock must be increased. This causes great potential for harm.

This is basic Psychology 101 stuff. I am not surprised it has surfaced again though. People are always looking for the "quick fix" when in reality there is NO "quick fix", just like there is no Credit Fairy.

Anyone who tried to use that on one of my children would quickly find themselves with a cloth bag over their head, tied to a chair while it was applied to them repeatedly. In very sensitive areas.

Don't mess with this Mama Bear's cubs.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
hmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like a taser? Not too humane that's for sure.

Although I would to use one on my Y right now