Awesome Telepsych Appointment

M

Mamaof5

I have to say I had a wonderful appointment for the oldest for telepsych today (a bit early in the morning for me, I am so not a morning person). We've established a medication\ behavioral plan of action. I have to admit too, hearing a psychiatric from sick kids tell me I'm doing a great job was uplifting to the point where I was almost euphoric.

I really am not that bad of a parent after all (I have issues with self blame and guilt - thinking it's all my fault)

He's going to be put on adderall rx (10mg to start)

I am amazed we got this far, oh and I shared this website with the psychiatric. He was impressed with "us" so to speak. He thought it was great that we are all here to support and advocate for each other. He liked the idea of this site. I think it might end up in his "parents need to educate themselves" tools. I am relieved, I wasn't sure about medication at first but I'm feeling confident and at ease. Fears are dissolved and I really like this psychiatric doctor. He impresses me.

My first impression of him in March 2010 was inaccurate (I can admit being wrong) and he really is a great advocate not only for the children he treats but for the parents as well. I like his "knowledge is power" frame of mind - it really parallels my own frame of mind.

So, ladies and gents, pat yourselves on the back because today you all got complimented by a Sick Kids (T.O. Ontario) doctor!

InsaneCdn

For those in the US that don't know the reputation of Sick Kids... its like one of the absolute top in Canada.

Way to go!

And yes, it does kinda feel good when someone at that level recognizes that our difficult child has a problem and we are not the primary cause!

buddy

congrats! that is great news. let us know how the medication trial goes. Here is hoping for great success!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Over the years I recommended the board to docs enough they started recommending it to patients as a means of support, especially since in most communities there really isn't alot of support for parents with kids such as ours.

Glad the appointment went well. But I've got to ask, what is a telepsych? It's the "tele" part that is throwing me. lol

InsaneCdn

Its a psychiatrist that you don't have to see in person... can work with you by phone.

Typically, only made available to those in remote areas, where getting "there" would be very problematic.

M

Mamaof5

As InsaneCdn said, someone who is made available to those in remote areas (Norther Ontario) when we can't make it physically to them. In this case, video conference technology is used and televised psychiatric rather than telephone for us. Though I think they may do telephone as well...