Babies and Snowstorms

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Hound dog, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    I came home from school and Nichole's surgeon appointment yesterday to discover that easy child was at the hospital in early labor. :tongue: So I'm met with 2 fretting males, husband and Travis, who are nearly hesterical by the time I got here.

    easy child is not due until feb 15th. However OB had already decided to induce her by the 9th as baby Brandon is measuring quite big and easy child is only 4 feet 11 inches. (both girls take after me)

    Contractions started at 9am. easy child waited 6 hrs to finally go to the hospital when they were 5 mins apart. Hospital is where she works, 20 miles away. OB confirms early labor and keeps her there because baby Brandon was showing stress with each contraction, his heart rate was soaring up.

    At about 7pm OB asked easy child if she wanted discharged so she could get something to eat and go home to be more comfortable while labor progressed. (can't eat while in labor these days) So easy child went to a restaurant there near the hospital and had supper. She sort of hung around a while to see if moving around would kick up the contractions as I'd asked her to do. Finally she came home to get some rest.

    At about midnight the contractions backed off. She's still very sore, uncomfortable, and her stomach is really tight. But so far no contractions yet this morning. Now she's feeling a bit frustrated.

    I told her that odds are Baby Brandon is not going to make his Grand Entry until the peak of the snow storm we're having. It makes me nervous she's 20 miles from the hospital. Both husband and sister in law would have no problem getting her there even in the current storm. It's the time factor that has me worried. easy child has no way to judge how long it will take to get from here to there in current driving conditions. It took Nichole 45 mins this morning to make the 5 min drive to boyfriend's house.

    easy child is under orders from both OB and me that if contractions start again and are reg at 5 mins she is to get her fanny back to the hospital. OB said he doesn't really even want her waiting until they're that close together. Being reg contractions is enough for him. He's worried about the time factor too.

    And dear ol' Mom is worried about the stress on the baby during the contractions. (experience never lets your forget the danger) They got his heartbeat to steady out by changing her positions. But at home she has no way of knowing if he is in distress while she's contracting.

    So, I'm hoping that regardless of her frustration at the contractions stopping during the night, that my easy child does not hesitate to get her fanny off to the hospital if they start again. In the meantime, I'm praying Brandon's heartbeat stays stable.

    But I'm betting contractions won't start again until the storm is at it's worst. :faint:

    Ugh
     
  2. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    Is there a hotel near the hospital? Or a friend she could stay with during the storm so she is as close as possible? And, most importantly, do you know anyone with a snowmobile and EMT training? I'm not kidding, at least one child a year is born around here in a snow storm after mom is transported via snowmobile.
     
  3. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    I hope everything stays smooth-sailing!! Have a pot of boiling water ready just in case she doesn't get to the hospital in time!! (JK)

    My son was born in a snowstorm, too. (During- not actually "in") Anyway, he was kept so bundled up that most people didn't see anything but his eyse, nose, and lips fpr 10 days! LOL!!
     
  4. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    LOL klmno!

    TM all easy child's friends live even more rural than we are. Nichole is an EMT. LOL And I don't doubt in a pinch I could birth a baby. I'd be scared to death, but I could do it. I DON"T want to do it though!!! I tried getting her to stay in a hotel up there last night but she's stubborn. sigh

    sister in law just checked in and so far contractions haven't begun again. (keeping my fingers crossed)

    We've got at least 7 inches of snow on the ground and it's still snowing heavy. This looks to be one heckova storm.
     
  5. 1905

    1905 Well-Known Member

    Oh my goodness, I hope all is well tonight. That's alot of snow, and to be possibly in labor, I hope he holds off until his due date is closer. Do you live close to one another? Maybe you could go over there, just to be with her, and just in case?-Alyssa
     
  6. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Oh how nerve-wracking!

    I hope her body, the baby and the weather all cooperate so she can get to the hospital on time and have zero complications!
     
  7. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    easy child lives a half block away for me.

    Now we've got sleet. :( LOTS of sleet. It looks horrid out. The town is closing down so people can get home.

    I hope Brandon holds off for many more days.
     
  8. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    Dang, whatever happened to the days of town doctors who made housecalls in snow storms?

    Know any midwives in town?
     
Loading...