Baby Stuff Question

tiredmommy

Sorry to be Occupational Therapist (OT) but I just had to add that I nursed Duckie for two years (& started introducing solids around 5 months) but she still developed absolutely horrid allergies.

trinityroyal

Continuing on the tangent...I haven't been able to nurse any of my babies because they all have reactions to milk, including mine. Had to put all of them on special hypoallergenic formula. Poor Little easy child suffered for weeks before I figured it out. With the twins, I told the doctor on the second day, as soon as I saw their reaction.

Agreed though, that the infinite permutations involved in choosing what to feed your baby make buying formula impractical for donation.

Trinity

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
As for diapers, generally, store brands are about as good as name brands. Same for wipes and desitin, shampoo, and the like. Heck once in a while generic are better. lol

I wouldn't do formula as they can get that via WIC for free. And even generic formula is expensive......by the way is also just as good as name brand, has to be.

I didn't read thru the other responses so I'm probably repeating. lol

Hugs

Marguerite

I don't think it's much better her, if at all. Maybe now it's a bit better. In our malls we have parents rooms where you can breastfeed, but also where even dads can take their children to change nappies etc.

I remember having to use toilets to breastfeed easy child. Even as a bridesmaid at sis-in-law's wedding when easy child was 10 months old, I had to almost completely undress to get out of the bridesmaid's dress (no way I could get into it even a little) and was feeding easy child while sitting half naked on the loo in the ladies' room. I do know I was very lucky to have her in a child care centre right next to where I worked, plus I had a boss who let me use my break times to go feed the baby. That was exceptional back then, still is in a lot of places.

What I was saying in my earlier post, though, was that for those who are using formula, soy isn't really a safe low-allergy option.

Marg

svengandhi

If you do buy formula, consider the powdered type. It lasts longer and you can mix it up as you need it. I would put the powder in the bottle and carry water separately and then blend them. My oldest had a breast milk allergy so I couldn't nurse him. I did nurse the others, but ALWAYS covered up for my own sake, not because I was ashamed of nursing but because I considered it a private activity between myself and my child.

By the way, my mother told me that the most popular formula when I was born (1959) was Karo syrup and evaporated milk so you are lucky you nursed; you may have avoided the awful sweet tooth that I and many others raised on that drink have!

As for other stuff, Costco sells cheap diapers and wipes. The sippy cups are great. I would not buy clothing as those are probably available at a thrift shop or second hand. Sorry but even when I earned 6 figures, I bought my kids' and most of my own, clothing at consignment/thrift.

Another nice thing for toddlers and pre-schoolers would be picture books as that is an area that is often neglected when people are struggling to feed their kids.

I ran a food drive a few weeks ago with my Boy Scout sons. Even in my so-called upper middle class suburb, there is still an amazing need. I also had to work through the Church, even though I am not the only Jewish person in town. They just seem to be set up better for that kind of thing. My temple collects food but then gives it to the church to distribute.