Back From CSE Meeting

B

Bunny

And it pretty much went like I thought it would. Then sating how easy child is perfect in school and if there are problems at home they are issues of my making. Yes, he has a weakness, but it's not something that needs to be dealt with because it's not effecting his ability to learn.

My sister in law, who used to be a reading teacher, went with me to the meeting and she was not impressed. She felt that the resource room teacher who did part of the testing was rather cocky (this was the woman who told me that easy child would never be anything better than a C student). I felt like they really had no interest in even giving me any direction. My sister was in the meeting by phone, but I have not spoken to her since the end of the meeting, so I don't know what her thoughts about it are. She did bring up if a 504 plan could be put into place for him, but they said it wasn't necessary because, again, his weakness doesn't effect his learning. We questioned the fact that he does much worse on term sof work when things are timed and how that will effect him next year when he has to start taking state wide tests, but they feel it should not be a problem because they give the kids so much time to finish the tests that even the slowest kids get them finished in the allotted time.

So, basically, I am no better off that I was when I left the house this morning. There is now a paper trail, with a record of the testing and the CSE meeting. Next year when the school year starts I will be all over his teacher, making sure that she knows that I have concerns and that I do not want to see him have to play this game every year of falling behind and then having to get services to be brought up to speed, only to have the services taken away again and starting the cycle all over again.

I am so done with this school year.

Ktllc

Sending some hugs and support your way! I feel I'll be facing the exact same issues next year. Despite documented issues, the team who did the school testing feel that "V will fit right in and be just fine".
Have you had the chance to do some private testings? If you don't agree with school decision, you can ask for an independant evaluation at their cost. You might want to persue this avenue if you have not done so already.

L

Liahona

I'm so sorry.:919Mad: That must be so frustrating. I've found getting my own testing done through the insurance (with people with better degrees than the school personal) and then taking the recommendations to the school have helped to get results. You might need an advocate to help. These people don't sound like the brightest. Enjoy your summer.

T

TeDo

I agree with the other two. Definitely get some outside testing that is more thorough and has more insight. That is what I have ended up doing and you'd be surprised at the information that was found that the school never even considered existed. Your other recourse is to ask for an Independent Education Evaluation that is paid for by the school. That is your right and, don't quote me on this, but I don't think they can refuse your request. Check wrightslaw.com.

Sorry their evaluations were such a bust but I can honestly say I'm not surprised, having been there done that myself.

B

Bunny

I'm not surprised, either. It was all decided before I even got into that meeting room. No matter what I said, they were doing nothing for him.

I have to take difficult child to the psychiatrist's office, so when I go I am going to ask him about having easy child academically tested through his office (there are staff there that do just that. That was actually how I found the psychiatrist. Someone that I knew took her daughter there for academic testing when ther daughter's school told the mother that her daughter had a learning disability, but could not tell her what the problem was. They figured it out and the daughter is doing well now). I'm also going to contact that ENT that did easy child's ear tube surgery and request that he be tested for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) though their office. My sister, based on my descriptions of easy child, thinks that there might be an ADD component to him, but we'll have to see.

buddy

Sounds like you have a good office that specializes in the types of issues you have concerns about. That's a nice comfort since they know difficult child and can see that it is not your parenting causing him to have reading issues, duh. I find it so interesting for them to put him back and forth in those reading support types of programs yet hold to their assertion that he has no school issues. I can see them saying the issues haven't risen to the level required to have special education services but we do see he struggles in this area so we are going to monitor every three months or we understand this is frustrating but we have guidelines blah blah (which still would be frustrating but at least far more honest). Gosh I am just so sorry.

If he has Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) issues you might be cautious that the ENT clinic may not show much of a level of concern, or that they could say that his issues would not cause this kind of issue... (they may be focused on what they have treated only). Actually the on and off hearing issues that come with a conductive hearing loss-middle ear problems like difficult child has had (along with the fact that kids who have that sometimes dont feel well on and off) are associated with phonological issues, reading problems, processing problems, etc. So, it could be full Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) issues, or issues related to his middle ear issues, etc. The accommodations and remediation in many ways will need to be the same. His brain has to learn to interpret the sounds, pull out the important sounds/words etc. Doctor/ENT clinics are typically more concerned with the mechanical function of hearing sounds. Of course there are always exceptions, your people may be fully up on the whole picture. If it turns out they do not appreciate your concerns at the same level you are showing, maybe try calling around to Audiology Clinics or asking the district Audiologist who other parents use--who specialize in Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)'s--could be the best source. I found mine from a therapy clinic that has all the traditional therapies but also less traditional therapies and evaluation clinics like a neurotechnology clinic, a developmental vision clinic, alternative neurological therapies/intensive therapies, and they have an audiology clinic that specializes in auditory processing. I can't remember where you are or if you have any specialty hospitals with out patient therapy clinics or like this one is attached to a charter school for kids with neurological challenges (esp. Learning Disability (LD) types of issues, lots of aspie kinds of kids too), just sharing what it is like around here. Everywhere is so different.

Keep your armor polished and handy, sounds like you may need it over the years, sigh. Big hugs to you and difficult child.