Back from Transition Meeting

StressedM0mma

And wow was that a total waste of time. They did nothing to prepare any of us for her return to school. Basically said good luck Thursday. We even told them that she has finals Thurs. and Fri. and they didn't care. Told us about a month long IOP program that runs after school, and I asked if he felt that would be the best next step for difficult child, or should we just continue private couseling. He couldn't/wouldn't even give his opinion. ALl he said was that husband and I needed to discuss it. OK, I am asking you what you think would be best for difficult child. Nope nothing. He basically said that all of difficult child's problems are due to our parenting. That is nice. Like I am not already beating myself up already over every choice I have made regarding difficult child.

I also asked about Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and again I was laughted at. He said that she wouldn't qualify. That she isn't "bad" enough, and there would be no way that we could possibly afford it. That the only kids that get into the programs are wards of the state, and she is not in any legal trouble. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't private Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s make the decision as to whether or not admit a child? I thought that private Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s dealt with defiant children? Am I totally out of line here? We have also considered therapeutic foster care. We didn't/don't know if that is only through te state or if there are any private agencies.

The only positive is that psychiatrist is talking about giving her something to make her sleep at night. I think they said trazadone? Any info on that? Do any of you know if it helps? Or will she be able to fight through it and stay awake? She was given klonipin by her pediatrician. before, and she could stay awake through it, and it made her rage horribly. So, I am just curious. Any and all help is appreciated.

buddy

yes, I have taken it and it did help. I only took it as needed for sleep a long time ago. It is usually given more on a routine basis for depression.

Trazodone (also sold under the brand names Desyrel, Oleptro, Beneficat, Deprax, Desirel,Molipaxin, Thombran, Trazorel, Trialodine, Trittico, and Mesyrel) is an antidepressant of theserotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor (SARI) class. It is a phenylpiperazine compound. Trazodone also has anxiolytic and hypnotic effects.[SUP][1][/SUP] Trazodone has considerably less prominentanticholinergic (dry mouth, constipation, tachycardia) and sexual side effects than most of thetricyclic antidepressants (TCAs).

gosh I think your psychiatrist has been a jerk from day one when you told us that he was dismissing your concerns. Dont ask anymore, just put her in teh IOP, you KNOW she is not better and they have not had enough time to see it. Just DO it.

Did you make a transition plan with SCHOOL??? That is the really big part that is needed. She needs accommodations and adjustments and assessment.

You need to know that like ALL of us, we can improve our parenting just because it is so different than it is for typical kids. Of course we can do better.. every one of us. BUT to say it is your fault is just lazy doctoring. If this jerk does not know that a kid can fake their way thru two weeks of anything then he is just needing help himself.

StressedM0mma

Thanks Buddy. I am talking with the school tomorrow. Her therapist at the program said she just needs to jump in and get back to it. Thank you for the Trazadone info. I think if she would sleep she would calm down some. Time to go give difficult child her Abilify. Love playing medication dispenser. She is asleep. I hope I can give it to her and she will just go back to bed.

B

Bunny

I think for any psychiatrist to say that difficult child's problems are all your fault is totally out of line, and I agree with Buddy that it's lazy doctoring. I think that it's time to find a new psychiatrist because this one is just brushing you off and you're getting no where.

Does difficult child realize that she is being transitioned back to school? What does she say about it? You need to get in touch with the school and speak to the guidance counselor to see what they and you need to do to transition her back in a way that makes her comfortable. If she feels like she is just going to be throw into the deep end of the pool with no life preserver it's going to be a disaster. She needs to know that people at the school are on her side.

buddy

Our home psychologist has told us that he sees it over and over...the medical community is not so big on transition to the school...ours actualy said well we would not discharge him if he was not ready to go back... HUH???

He said it is the school end that needs the bigger plan. They need to decide how to modify, accommodate etc. And at this point you need to go tot hat meeting and give them a copy of the request letter you have already sent registered mail/return receipt for a full assessment for her to have an IEP. This DID affect her academics totally so they can't even use that excuse. That will get them moving. they need to get her long term support. This is not gong away soon, if in future she does not need it, fine no one has to stay on an IEP but you can have legal rights to support her if you get it. It is confidential and not part of her general school record. You only use it if you need it in future for college accommodations.

It will not hurt to go for this. It could really hurt to wait though. HOlding your hand from MN as you go thru this transition. I know it is not easy for even one second.

StressedM0mma

Thanks Buddy for the hand. I just got off the phone with her guidance counselor, and he was supposed to receive info from the PHP for her transition back to school. She returns tomorrow. He has gotten nothing as of yet. This is throwing my anxiety through the roof right now. I feel like they are just setting her up to fail again. I am so scared right now. And she is not walking into a normal day even. It is finals week so she is walking into a chaotic situation. We asked that she stay in the program through Friday, and they said no she is done. We flat out told them we don't feel she is ready, and they said that some kids go half days to the program but she doesn't need it. Really!! She tried to run away the other night and you think she doesn't need further help? OK. Please pray for us as we take this next step. I am so terrified as what is going to happen. Taking a deep breath, and hoping for the best.