Back To Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) For D

Janna

So sad...

psychiatrist can't do anything. Has no suggestions. Wants to tirate off Seroquel (even though I said twice in the meeting today I wanted to talk about increasing it). Mentioned Thorazine (uhh, after hearing side effects, no thanks - I don't need my kid's eyes rolling around in his head *sigh*) - said she'd like to wean off Seroquel and start Abilify.

I threw the script out the van window going down the road (shredded of course).

I tirated down the Buspar myself. He's at 10 mg AM 10 mg PM ( was 20 each). She's fine with that LOL! Let it there or whatever...up to me!?

He's manic. Some BiPolar (BP) disorder, but of course, you'd have to take the time with him to figure something out, and of course, she can't. Or won't. Whichever.

Wouldn't even TALK about a mood stabilizer. I said what about Lamictal. Well...if he's going to Residential Treatment Facility (RTF).

Fine. Goodbye.

Recommendation was faxed. Approval given. Guess I'll be doing a tour next week.

*sigh*

again.....All over again.

Sheesh.

Jena

i haven't been able to keep up with it all as of late. I just wanted to jump and say i'm sorry and send you a hug.........

((((Hugs))))

jannie

trying to survive....
I'm sorry about this Janna. Have you heard good things about this program? Hopefully he will get the treatment he needs. Your psychiatrist seems overwhelmed with the situation...How do you feel about all of this?

BusynMember

I'm really so sorry, Janna. I hope he gets straightened out in the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). At least they'll get to see what he's really like. So many psychiatrists just don't seem to care and want to take the time. (((Hugs)))

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry Janna. I really don't like your psychiatrist! I hope the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) is able to help. Many gentle hugs.

Janna

Part of me can't wait to have him out of here. It's so amazing how he can go from calm, together child to out of control, 18 year old Conduct Disorder, cursing, screaming teen to 4 year old baby crying in the fetal position in the corner of his room, then back to normal again, and STAY normal for SO long then go back to this cycle.

I'm tired of his voice.

I really believe there is alot wrong with this boy. Maybe I'm reading more into what is really there because of the things he already has - but I'm telling ya, something's not right. And, with every intervention, every added piece of "help", and every year that goes by, I see his father more and more in this kid. And, his father = garbage. 40 years old, riding a bike (bicycle) to work because he's just hit his 3rd DUI and is getting locked up.

That's 2 months after he was swinging a box cutter at the police threatening to take their lives in June. That was the incident where his "friend" got shot in the leg and killed because they were out in the city, drunk, high, and rear ended some lady.

Some people just never learn. D is maturing, yes - and has his "good" times, yes, but in the end, I really feel like this "I can do whatever I want and **F** everyone else because it's my way or no way" attitude is coming through more and more and more. He's compliant, HERE, but in school, for example - nothing. Shut down. Refusal of all academics. Why? Who knows. He can do the work. He doesn't wanna.

So, although this is hearbreaking for me, especially having been through the placement roller coaster with B, I know in my heart D is very, very mentally ill, and needs help. And, he's gonna go, because, I can't do it. I can't cure him. I can't fix him. I've done every type of behavior mod, therapy, intervention known to man, and he's still in this up and down Bipolar/Autistic/whatever the heck you wanna call it phase. Manic - stimulated, LOL, whatever. He needs stabilized.

I'm not really sure of the place yet. They're huge here. The last Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) was cushy. Horseback riding, art and pets, lots of being outside fun. Trips, etc. This one isn't that way, it's all psychiatric. He needs more than a 10 min meeting with a psychiatrist once a month. He needs more watching than that. And, indefinite watching, not "you're here 6 months then you can go" (upon admission). From what I gather, this Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) is very psychiatric. I will do a tour, and if I don't agree, I have other options. I have 2 others to look into if I don't like this one - so it'll be a process.

I'm hoping I just like this first one and it's an easy transition. We will keep in home therapist to help until he's in.

On a positive note, last night, the first night in 12 years, he FINALLY said to me "I'm pi*sed off". He was angry. He was. That was the first time, ever, he expressed it. Calmly. Wow. Talk about finding the needle in the haystack or trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. LOL! That was a baby step - but a huge one for him. Dunno where it came from. Probably won't see it again for a while. But, I can sorta, kinda be excited about it for now.

Thanks everyone.

klmno

I just wanted to send support. This sounds similar to my son, except on a little different level- mine is younger than yours. Anyway, the psychiatrist where my son is now is recommending a certain Residential Treatment Center (RTC) that has mmore than typical psychiatric/therapeutic care. I looked them up online but haven't visited yet- I plan to this week coming up. I noticed that they have one in PA, too- (the same company). If you want the name, let me know and I'll PM you. If it's one you already have experience with but were unhappy or happy with it, I wouldn't mind knowing, before I push for my son going to this one.

Good luck!! They are re-evaluation'ing my son's BiPolar (BP) diagnosis, but say a lot of his problem is adding things up wrong, then getting fixated on the "wrong" idea. They are recommending CBT for this- which was recommended before, but it's hard to get a therapist to stick with that when you have a kid who gets in trouble periodically, but in major ways when he does.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sending hugs and LOTS of support to you, Janna. You really HAVE done so much with your kids over the years. Sometimes we just can't do enough at home to help them. I hope you can find an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) with enough psychiatric help to really help D.

Hugs,

Janna

KLMNO,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your message. Yes, if you'd PM me the information, I would appreciate that.

And, no, I don't mind sharing my PA resources with you. Just let me know what you'd like.

FYI - this is for my son, D, who is 12. So, he is younger than your difficult child.

~Janna

Star*

call 911........call 911
Jana -

I used to "see" Dudes Dad in Dude a lot. I guess I too hoped against gentic hope that these disorders are NOT genetic and learned. Despite seeing similar behaviors in the two I had a really great psychiatrist that would remind me constantly that Dude is his own person and has choices on how to behave AND (more importantly) I was a great Mom doing all I could to find solutions and put the choices in front of my kid.

KEEP IN YOUR MIND - that you ARE doing the best thing that you can do for your child. Whatever the "it" of his behavior is.

It used to annoy me that our psychiatrist would say that because I would bark back that Yes YES....he has choices, but genetically speaking he's @)(#)(!+_%$ and the psychiatrist would shake his head NO NO NO and remind me that his biofather didn't HAVE the choices that my son has been given - BY ME because I AM A GOOD MOM.

So take it for what it is worth - and I still kinda grin when I see the way Dude itches his nose or his eye looks tired when he's thinking hard about something - those are things that remind me of his biofather. I'm glad now that our psychiatrist kept on and on about that with me because now that Dude is 18? I don't seem to remember his biodad so much in his makeup - I see a young man who had a carpy start in life with chemically altered father genes, and brilliant intelligent Mother genes - and choices that he is his own person today.

Also - the underlying story about that psychiatrist statement? If I constantly compared him to his father whether it was verbally or mentally understood? I was giving my child yet another excuse to misbehave.
UGH -:tongue:

Hugs
Star

DDD

It sounds as though you have access to good resources for your difficult child and I'm sure you are thankful that options are available. You have been so very dedicated in the past and your choices now, I am sure, will be the best possible for your boy. Hugs. DDD