Back to simple things that make you smile

Abbey

Spork Queen
It's literally freezing here, no car, but I need some groceries. I walk to the store grumbling my crying arse off and get there. I pick up a few things I can carry home and am waiting in line. All of a sudden I get these few short bumps from behind me. There is the most adorable 2 year old ramming the cart into me.

Ok, now that was the cute part. But when I bent down to say, "Hey dear," next to my face was a Salted Nut Roll that I haven't had in probably 25 years.

I just finished it. OMG...it was so good. I'm licking the wrapper. Sorry kid. You were cute, but that nut roll knocked you out of the running for first place.

The only thing that could top that is the old fashioned Bing Cherry.

Abbey

Jena

LOL that's cute. So, how cold is it there?? wow its like 60 here now again. Their saying flurries by monday, a total dip in weather.

It's weird isn't it, when you get stripped of everyday things we take for granted like our truck or car than you walk and find that simple food that made you so happy. it's like you appreciate it that much more.

I was truckless for a while years ago. Long story, boy very long yet my truck was taken it was a few weeks before xmas difficult child, easy child and i had to walk to get our xmas tree in the middle of a blizzard, than walk to get our groceries. when i got another truck wow the appreciation i had for that thing. :)

glad your back home where it's warm and licking your wrapper :) that was cute story

Abbey

Spork Queen
I think it's low 30's and expecting snow tomorrow. Yippee!! Not. At least we did no have rain/sleet the last day.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Naw...the Bing Cherry is a candy of sort. I can't even describe it as I don't usually eat sweets. It's like a cherry mush covered by chocolate and nugget. They're very small.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
No, no...it's not a cordial. It's a candy bar, actually a candy clump. Midwest area. I'd kill for one.

Abbey

Steely

OK cordials aside............:tongue:
I think it is a good post to tell the simple things that make us smile. (Maybe because it really makes me think - sad but true!)

Ummm.......hmmmm.........tap, tap, tap I say to my brain.
Crud, I don't know.

OK, currently the only thing that makes me genuinely smile on the inside are my dogs. I love how they talk to each other in their own little doggie grunts and groans - as if the entire universe should know exactly what they are saying.

OK, I confess. The other thing that makes me happy is to get a black iced tea from Starbucks...........no water, no sugar, no ice. Just pure caffeine sucked through a straw. (And I rationalize it because it is only 2.00 - uh, yea.)

And snow makes me very happy........but it never snows here. I love those huge wet flakes falling on your head - I look forward to the one day of the year it snows.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Olive Garden's seafood alfredo. :D in my opinion it's better than chocolate. lol

Gonna go to Dayton with easy child tomorrow. Talked her into lunching at Olive Garden. Saved some money back just so I could do it. Last time stupid waitress gave me the Lunch plate. Umph. They try it again and I'm likely to bite their arm off. I want the full dinner size portion, thankyouverymuch!! :D :D

Getting this meal is a huge deal. It's not like I can afford to eat at Olive Garden except maybe once a darn year.

If I could learn to make their recipe I'd probably weigh a ton, or explode, whichever came first. :rofl: So it's probably a good thing that the nearest Olive Garden to me is over an hour away. ;)

Abbey

Spork Queen
Lisa,

I LOVE Olive Garden. I like their soup and salad combo. I could eat their salad all day long. It's so much better when someone else makes it. They're always saying, "Would you like some cheese with that?" Ummm, yeah...who would say no?

I'll add another nice thing. My neighbor asked me to a Candle Lite party a few weeks ago. Well, I got a long shift at work at and couldn't come until they had packed up and were getting ready to leave. I really couldn't afford to buy anything but ended getting a really nice oil candle.

Fast forward to today when I popped by mother in law's house and she has a bag for me that I bought. I get home and it's got the candle in it and a few other things she bought for me. She got me a bottle of 'Happiness' lotion and a bottle of Velocity gel from Mary Kay. Still can't figure out what that is, but it smells nice. Body moisture gel. Thats as much as I can read. I don't know if I should eat it or wear it.

Anyways, she's a lovely woman. I didn't open it up until late so haven't thanked her yet.

Small things make a big difference.

Abbey

Wiped Out

Staff member
Abbey-How nice of your mother in law!

Small thing that happened yesterday that made me happy-My niece was over with her fiancee. Her mom was here too. They were joking that fiancee had called me old. He said no, what he had said was that the cooking he loves the most is from his mom and then me! My niece said, what about her cooking? He said that his mom and I had been cooking for a much longer time, they said he was calling his mom and me old.

Anyways-the good cooking comment made me happy and when he left he was sure to ask for some left overs-I had already packed them-he made brownie points last night!

F

flutterbee

My Christmas tree is up. :D It's really early - don't usually have it up til the day after Thanksgiving - but I can't do it and my mom was here Thursday and wouldn't be available again til the first weekend in December. :surprise: That's just way too late to put the Christmas tree up.

I'm really enjoying it. It's so beautiful. And since it snowed yesterday (no accumulation) it was *perfect*. I'm always ready to break out the Christmas stuff when it snows.

Now, if I could just get the kids to stop turning on the lights in the living room so I can really enjoy it...might have to glue their hands together or something...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Being home, with my H, and with my girlies and my pups. I know it sounds too simple, but after spending the past two days with my 3 sisters planning my Mom's life (alzheimers) and visiting nursing homes...I couldn't have been more happy to be home last night just after midnight, checking in with difficult child and her boyfriend, taking a long hot shower and hitting the sheets. Aaaaaaaahhhhh.

And tonight, we had a lovely dinner, just the 4 of us. I really am excited because tonight, there will be no house guests so I can get in my jammies and chill.

Are you talking about those delicious chocolate covered bing cherries from Harry & David?? Yum, I know you're not, but you reminded me of them! :redface:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Deb,

Looking out my kitchen window to see the flocks of birds ~ cardinals, blue jays, wrens, chickadees, finches, nuthatches, plus the numerous squirrels we feed ~ in our little bird sanctuary.

I got my new winter bird bath - husband promised to get it hung up this week. That should attract more birds.

It wasn't simple to set up - now it's easy to maintain & brings joy to me & many others who enter my kitchen & see my family of birds.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I found it!!! I swear...Google is a Goddess.

candydirect.com/

I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, but NOOOO...I'm looking for my Bings.

Abbey

ctmom05

Simple pleasures, ok.......

I baked today and that made my kitchen toasty warm and it smelled real good. I looked at some interesting remote, rural property listings ar realtor dot com; no I am not moving - I am thinking ahead.

Shortly I am going to sip on a cup of Nighty Night tea and then crawl in between my red plaid flannel sheets, underneath a couple of thick quilts.