Back to Spiders...

Star*

call 911........call 911
ROFLMAO...at tired Mommy....all eaten by spider....ROFL

Sorry - Ilove spiders, bugs and the like amateur entymologist here. We catch and release. Seems they respect our space more if I respect them.

Star*

call 911........call 911
It says the best remedy to rid your home of Hobo's is another breed of spider. I can catch some wolf spiders that hunt in packs here and send them to you. Crab spiders and Wolf spiders should do the trick.

Spray for the eggs in June? WHOLEY MOLEY!

Kathy813

Staff member
Seems they respect our space more if I respect them.

I think that you are giving those creepy, crawly things WAY too much credit.

Personally, I crush them flat as a pancake.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
ToTo

I sat up in bed last night at 4:00 thinking about these wonderful (not really for you) spiders. And I came to THIS conclusion:

You have to put the glue traps end to end in a line, and cover them with small boxes like those you get animal crackers in, THEN the HOBO spiders will catch the "DEATH TRAIN" - Hobo's are natural wanderers and love trains. Just like Boxcar Willie!

Hey it couldn't hurt!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I may just do this... then I can send their little creepy a**es to Georgia!!! SORRY Kathy

I love snakes... I have NO love for spiders, I try...

I love the visual of them marching into my little sticky trains of death!!!! HA HA HA

Kathy813

Staff member
Sorry, ladies, it won't work. Those Yankee spiders just can't take the Georgia heat. They'd be scurrying right back up to you.

Good try, though.

~Kathy

Marguerite

OK, that's a very US joke. Lucky for you, I read a lot especially about Woody Guthrie. Cute image, though.

Only trouble is, have you ever stepped on one of those traps? Eeeaarguugh... especially in the middle of the night when you wander out in the dark for a drink of water.

One Easter Sunday a couple of years ago, we got a distraught phone call from a women we know at church - she had rats and had called the exterminators in right before the Easter long weekend (goes to Tuesday in our neck of the woods). These blokes had put down bait stations (fair enough) but been considerate enough to not put any baits where the woman's small dog and cats could get to the bait. So instead, they put down sticky traps.

Now this house is like a lot of beach-side houses in Australia - up on stilts, but with the underneath area also open living space. A sort of undercroft, where people spend time in summer and store things like surfboards, beach umbrellas and barbecues. With a small kitchen and a granny flat. And the undercroft was alive with rats. And this woman and her daughter were animal-loving vegetarians.

So here it is, early morning Easter Sunday, we were wondering if the traps had caught the Easter Bunny or something, she was so upset. But no, they had caught - rats. Baby ones. Cute baby ones. Please could we come and make it all go away?

So husband & I went down there, making sure to leave our squeamish brats at home. We comforted the old woman and her daughter (we could hear the hysterical screams all up the driveway) and then went down to the undercroft and looked for sticky rat traps. Very similar to your spider traps, and VERY sticky. I did step in one - they had left one right out in the middle of the floor. Of course, no rats there - rats creep around the walls. We found two loaded traps, in the undercroft kitchen, next to the stove. We had to kill the baby rats ourselves (not pleasant) and then dispose of the trap in the compost bin. We then (at the woman's request) collected up all the remaining sticky traps and took them away.

What a charming way to begin our Easter celebrations, of new life!

And on the Tuesday morning when businesses opened, the old woman was on the phone making a complaint about the rat exterminator company, to the RSPCA. Good on her!

I think on Tuesday I was STILL trying to get the sticky trap gunk off my foot...

Marg

Kathy813

Staff member
can catch some wolf spiders that hunt in packs

Spiders that hunt in packs? Um, Star, that is an image I don't want to even think about. It sounds like my worst nightmare.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you live in the southeast? Oh Lordy, they are getting closer and closer.

I'm starting to like that shrinkwrapped house idea.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have fisher spiders here the size of my palm and you can actually pick them up and they will sit in your hand. (stop saying ewwww)

We have wolf spiders here in SC and they are not aggressive unless provoked. Usually if you disturb their holes (they have no webs up high) they will run and hide.

We also have some rather large ground spiders here, almost totally charcoal grey that we have seen moving in what husband calls a spider herd. (what do you want with a farm boy) and they ARE aggressive if disturbed.

I'm sorry about the little rats Margurite. That must have been simply awful for you to have to take care of. Baby rats are adoratble to us. I have pet rats and just think they are the absolute be all end all over hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils. I don't raise them I rescued them and someone had a moment of indiscretion and we had a litter, but I found homes for all 12. I kept the 13th warrior. I've hand raised a litter of wild rats and let them go. difficult child disturbed their nest in an old farmhouse and the mother wasn't coming back after 2 days so he learned to leave babies alone and I got him up round the clock to bottle feed them. SInce then he hasn't bothered a wild animal since and would prefer the mommy feeds and does other things for the babies.

Kathy - Yankee spiders? OMG OMG....ROFLMBO. Can you hear it?
G'on naw yu little Yankey 8 legs...run run!

scent of cedar

I have fisher spiders here the size of my palm and you can actually pick them up and they will sit in your hand.

Star, you are a woman of rare courage.

Kathy? I had NO idea you were sending my spiders back! That explains the little Confederate banners tied to the trees near the dock, then....

And that whispery kind of singing we hear around here on nights when the moon is full. Something about Georgia, Georgia on my mind....

I guess I wouldn't have the heart to use one of those sticky traps.

We spray inside and out with that three month insecticide. Any survivors are shipped off, as has been mentioned, to Georgia.

Barbara

scent of cedar

Marguerite said:
the sprays generally only make the spiders cranky.

Talking about being face to face with a spider - back when I was studying zoology at uni, we had to draw a detailed sketch of a spider and examine it minutely, looking for various bits of anatomy. The spiders we had were not only dead, they were embedded in polyester resin, but there's still something about having to get eyeball to eyeball with a large mouse spider in full leg spread, even when you know the thing can't get out of the plastic block.

We do get scorpions in Australia too, but they're tiny and I've rarely heard of anyone getting stung.

Millipedes - totally harmless, kids play with them.

It's important, however, to not have small dogs roaming free, however. One local miniature Jack Russell terrier had to be rescued from Monty about six years ago, by the dog's young owners. It's possible Monty realised he'd taken too big a mouthful, at about the same time. The snake had swallowed the dog from the tail up to his elbows and couldn't get any further. Interestingly, the dog's name is Elvis - our local paper ran a headline - "Elvis is Alive!"

Marg

Oh, my!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara

scent of cedar

Oh, I didn't have the courage to call up the imagery.

Cowardice, in the cases of spiders and other unsavory creatures, is often the better part of valor.

Uh huh.

Barbara

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ok Kathy what about those disgusting palmetto bugs. Those are much grodier than any spider.

I also got bit/stung by something walking in the gass to my car (while I lived in Georgia) and I still have a nasty on my ankle and that was at least 6 years ago.

I visit with the spiders in my bathroom everyday. (no big but enough that I don't have any other bugs)

Beth

Kathy813

Staff member
I'd take an occasional palmetto bug over daily spiders in my bathroom any day!

Actually, I avoid all of these problems with a quarterly visit by an exterminator.

And I would NEVER walk barefoot anywhere ~ too many creepy crawlies out there

In fact, I guess it won't surprise anyone to hear that I am not much of an outdoors girl. I never have understood that whole back to nature kind of thing.

Roughing it to me means a stay at the Ramada instead of the Ritz.

~Kathy

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
See I wear flip flops so I can be as close to barefoot as possible.

I also went on my first camping trip at three weeks old. Big tent, sleeping bag the whole shabang. Give me a camp fire any day to a stuffy hotel room someone else has used. (Not that I don't use them but not my favorite thing)

Beth

jamrobmic

I'm with the crowd that absolutely HATES spiders. We had black widows in our house and garage when we lived in Alabama...which is very close to Georgia.