Bad Storm - Checking In

susiestar

Roll With It
Last night was pretty wild. Not sure how fast the wind was, but even inside I could hear it howling. This morning it all looked so wonderful!

Driving has been pretty easy in our aea so no problems there.

We love to watch and chuckle at all of the people buying the stores out of milk and bread. It was even worse in Cincy, where even the mention of flurries sent people to buy out the stores.

We call it "White Death from the Sky Syndrome".

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie, back in 2000-2001 when I lived in Tulsa with XH, they had "the worst winter in 20 years". People looking at me like I was crazy 'cause I was driving in it - no problem for me, though, after Ohio.

Mom called in December (on my birthday) and was complaining about it being 17 degrees. I got her one better. "Mom... Here it's SEVEN. BELOW."

LOL!

Be safe. Keep us posted, K?

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nance, I wasn't thinking you were making light. I freely admit to being a cold weather wimp. The idea of driving in the snow on curvy, steep roads scares the snot out of me. Yet, all those years I drove home at midnight in blizzards without thinking twice. The folly of youth. : )

They canceled plans for Monday because of a storm on Friday!!!!:rofl: It is funny.

DammitJanet

They have already canceled all kinds of things here and are calling for power outages. Power trucks are already standing by from our southern state friends.

I keep telling Tony to go out and pick up wood but he thinks I am exaggerating...Ugh!

donna723

This is the first time I can remember them actually cancelling classes in ALL the school districts before the snow even started! They were announding last night that none of the schools would be open!

I just measured 5" of snow on my back porch and it shows no sign of stopping. I know that's nothing for some of you but for us, it's a lot. I tried to take Trace, my smallest Boston, outside on a leash - he practically disappeared in the snow! He was dragging me back up the porch steps and was trying to claw his way back through the front door! The boy does NOT like snow!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Glad those of you who have had it are safe and stay safe and warm to the rest of you getting it.

Other than our one big snowstorm in December we have hardly had any snow this winter which is o.k. by me! Now if we could just get rid of the cold-we're suppose to have 20 below windchills tonight!

LDM-Can I have the soup recipe-pretty please!!!!! I love mushroom soup and I love rosemary!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fran

I won't own an electric stove mainly because of power outages. I guess I've lived thru too many of them.......with most of them being in the middle of winter. lol And you'd be surprised at how much you can heat a house with a gas oven when necessary. You ought to be fine with two fireplaces and the stove. :)

I don't know what the temp is here........but I do know it's COLD! I've been freezing all day.

You all are making me hungry with all the talk of stews and soups! lol I'm having baked chicken tomorrow so I can use the oven. Yum. Then leftovers will be chicken and noodles. Double yum.

Stay warm and stay safe everyone.

Hugs

KTMom91

When it's really cold in the AM, and I don't want to crank up the heat because the house will be empty most of the day, I make biscuits for breakfast. Love my gas stove! And then I come home and put something in the oven for dinner. Baked chicken...yum! Hubby wants chicken and dumplings tomorrow.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Hope all are safe and warm. I am recovering from a 7 hour panic attack at the moment. My cat (who does go out because he doesn't use a litterpan), bolted on me at about 6PM and disappeared (usually he runs out in cold weather, does his business, and comes right back in).

He just came home after spending half the night out in subzero temps. Luckily he seems to be fine and is currently thawing out on my bed after eating some wet catfood mixed up with warmed chicken broth.

It's a sort of difficult child thing: first you freak out and then when the freakout is over; you want to strangle the little "so and sos".

Hard to throttle the offender when he's on your bed and you can hear him purring from ten feet away, though

donna723

Well, I'm snowed in to the point that I can't even get off my front porch - not that I could go anywhere anyway! The streets are solid sheets of ice. Of course, there's always those fools in their 4-wheel drives who have to be out in it, packing the snow down on the street, making it even slicker, and a bunch of kids on motorcycles and 4-wheelers doing donuts in the church parking lot next door. We got at least 7" to 8" of snow, then that was followed by several hours of freezing rain that made a slick, rock-hard crust over it all. I have a big concrete porch all the way across the front of the house and there is no way to get that frozen mess off those steps! I've tried! At least the electric didn't go off, I still have water, and I've got GAS heat! Supposed to go down to 9 or 10 degrees tonight though, which doesn't help.

Makes it very complicated when you've got FOUR dogs who need to go outside occasionally! Freebie, my bigger dog, has picked herself out a little spot on the far end of the porch - she has enough sense not to try those steps! I'll worry about cleaning it up when all this thaws out. The little ones, the Bostons, take one step out the front door, put their warm little feet in that cold stuff on the porch, see all that white, and go right back in the door!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yikes Donna! I hope the Bostons will use pee pads or something like that. Otherwise you are going to be doing a lot of mopping up after them.

I have a cool pee pad tip for male dogs. Take a brown paper lunch bag and inside place a bottle filled with water (a soda or water bottle works fine). This provides a "target" for the males to aim at.

Also, once they are using the pads and target, you can switch to inexpensive "Chux" style pads (Sam's and Walmart carry a house brand). You get the same end result without spending a fortune "piddle pads".

klmno

I woke up to a blanket of snow outside and it's still coming down. difficult child called yesterday and was concerned because they hadn't put salt on the sidewalks and he's afrid he won't be able to walk to the cafeteria to get food. LOL!!

My urge for food wasn't for typical stuff this time- I'll be frying fish tonight!

I hope everyone stays warm and safe and only has to go out for fun, not for food, safety, or warmth!

K

Kjs

I have been so wrapped up with work and difficult child issues, I haven't turned the tv on or read the paper in a week. I just now am seeing the storms moving through the south.
It is just cold here. Lake effect snow today.

Be safe.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
The news is amazing, to see the ice is scary! Driving on ice is the worst. I don't mind the snow but the ice, yuck!

Hope you are are warm and safe.
I just have to laugh at the Natives here, we are in our winter, Mid- 60's for our highs. I had a cashier whining about the cold yesterday!
I was laughing.
ALthough it does drop to freezing at night. People complain mostly about the temp range anywhere from 20-45 degrees. Heck toughen up! LOL

DammitJanet

Well...we woke up to the expected ice storm. Not as bad was expected this morning so that it downed power lines yet but that could still occur because it is still happening. It will also continue to freeze and it is on the trees and lines overnight.

Roads are bad.

We learned one thing. Never allow a fairly new driver to attempt to go to work in a junker. Especially when they have never driven in ice or snow before! I have no idea why the mall here even opened today but they did so Billy had to head to work and he didnt make it. He didnt even make it off our road!

First little bridge he came to that crossed a little creek was iced over and he hit it and spun out and darned near hit the railings and ended up in the ditch. He has roadside assistance with his car insurance (TG!) so they came and towed him out but he had a flat tire so he didnt make it to work.

Tony said to me right after he left for work, "I shouldnt have let him drive this morning." Yep.

He just isnt any good in rain or snow/ice it seems. This is the third ditch he has been in. First two were because he went off the road to answer a text. He pulled off which was right but he got stuck! LOL.

donna723

I was emailing back and forth with my son while all this was coming down yesterday. He was saying that he really wanted to go to Walmart but he wasn't sure his truck would make it! Gee, ya think! His truck is 17 years old with a hole in the radiator! They live 8 miles down a curvy, hilly 2-lane county road and if he made it that far, he'd have to go another mile or so through town to get to the Walmart! I told him that there was NOTHING he needed bad enough from Walmart to go out in that, and we left it at that!

He didn't answer me back. But if I were a betting person, I would be betting that he tried it anyway! And if he got stuck or slid off the road, he will make sure that I never hear about it! And knowing him, there was nothing that he needed that badly ... more likely he didn't like being cooped up, he had cabin fever, and he was bored!

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's been a fun day. We have enjoyed being out in the snow with the dogs. It's beautiful. The fireplace has been going and we are making yummy comfort food. Being snowed in is a good thing on a Saturday. : )
Donna, I know husband was tempted to take the jeep out for a spin. Must be a guy thing. We don't even own a shovel and it's a long driveway. Fortunately common sense won out.
I got a nap in for the first time in a while.
It continues to come down but breaks in the snow and frozen rain. We have about 5 inches, maybe more. I'll probably head out one more time before we tuck ourselves in again.

donna723

We haven't had any more today at all, but it's still gloomy and overcast, and in the low 20s'. It's supposed to get down to 9 or 10 degrees tonight. If it doesn't melt off some, chances are I won't make it in to work Monday either, and that, of course, would just break my heart ... ;)

After it stopped snowing, it was sleet and freezing rain for hours that made a frozen crust on the 8 or 9 inches of snow that was already there. You can't see the actual pavement on the street at all. It's completely covered with at least an inch and a half of slick frozen stuff!

klmno

I'm glad you got to enjoy the snow and take a nap, Fran! My dogs have barely tipped out into it this time. LOL!

Reports around here at noon were over 8 inches of snow but I just went out to clear it off the porch and car and I'm sure there's over a foot. That's even more then we got just before Christmas, I think. The mailman didn't come down the road today and everything is closed around here for the weekend. I'm worried now that I won't even get my car out by Monday.

klmno

Donna snuck in on me- I sure hope that sleet and rain aren't going to make it this far. If that hits tonight or tomorrow, I can forget this interview on Monday.