Baptised This Morning, Transplant at Midnight!

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Quite a big day! Baby J finally did succumb to the side-effects of chemo last night and today. :2dissapointed: Tough times, but in between he goes right back to playing! Cheerful and entertaining. Such a trooper! :jumphappy:

He was great during his Baptism ceremony, which was really special! And performed by 2 of the most efficient Catholics I've ever come across! Grammy Ann & I both got to annoint him with oil, that was pretty moving.:angel2:

Then we were told, his donor's marrow was harvested today in England, and flown here immediately afterward. Arrived in MN at 9pm!! Have to wait until Day 0, which officially begins at Midnight tonight, so that's when they will give him his new bone marrow stem cells!! MIDNIGHT! Woot!!

I will not be at the hospital, the room is so small and I would just be another body in the way if they need quick access. Chance of him having an allergic reaction, which they will treat with the normal allergy medications like antihistamine. They will get him thru whatever ocurrs, and he will get his cells!

On Friday, we begin counting days upward to 30, when he should be allowed to leave the hospital, and further on to 100, when he should be allowed to return to WI and HOME!!

Thanks all my friends for your kind words, your good thoughts, and strong prayers. I can feel your supporting arms around me and my family!
:yourock:

Peace

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
Trying to get more details this morning, but can let you know difficult child replied to my text with "Fine" when I asked how Baby J is doing this morning. I don't want to call, in case the doctor is talking with them or things are hectic or they're grabbing some sleep. When I know more, I'll update :)

Peace

mstang67chic

Going Green
Continued finger crossing and good juju headed your way! How neat about your participation in the baptisim. Why my niece was baptized, my step-mom was thrilled. The priest was the same one who baptized my sister, I was the God mother, my brother stood in for the Godfather and our other sister assisted. So....all of the kids were able to participate.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
All went great with his transplant! Nurses brought in presents & balloons - at midnight! Believe it or not! It's a really big deal for the RN's :flowers: He did have one instant reaction to the transplant, which was his blood pressure went UP. He was given medications to control that, and his pressure went down right away. So good!!

Hit a little bump in the road today, while difficult child was gone for lunch, and daughter in law & I were out for a smoke and her to head out for a a shower & nap, Grammy A was playing with Baby J and went to catch him as he teetered, his central line came OUT.

Grammy A was devastated! :crying:Baby J needed to go back to OR and get another central line put in.

But first, they had to give him platelets - this was planned anyways, but now they had to start an IV in his arm to give him the plates. THAT WAS A BUMMER! Thankfully, difficult child & daughter in law were not present for that. It was a bad fight with lil Baby J. Even after 10 days of chemo, that kid is STRONG!

Baby J Is Doing Well tonite. He came thru the OR procedure with flying colors. :bravo:
Grammy A & I bonded even closer than we were before. I actually felt worse for her than I did for Baby J. The nurses & aides all told us, "this happens ALL the time" but Grammy A was having none of it. I looked her right in the eye and said, "This is not your fault! I do not blame you!! You did the right thing in saving him from falling!"

Have you SEEN hospital room floors?? They're like freaking ceramic!! Hardest surface known to man! I feel bad that I wasn't there with her in the room, but that's nothing compared to how badly she feels.

So tonite, along with any prayers you offer for Baby J, please say an extra for Ann. She needs some super comfort. I kept telling her it's okay to cry, I kept rubbing her shoulders. I kept telling her she did the right thing - she saved him from cracking his head open! They fixed the central line and he was in the recovery room by 6:20 tonite. I left shortly after that, didn't get to see him again before I left for the night.

But I know, I just KNOW, he's doing good!!

Peace

tiredmommy

I'm sending a special prayer out for Ann... sounds like she's very hard on herself. Give her a {{{hug}}} for me and tell her "thank you" for being there with my board great-nephew.

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a wonderful little guy. This has to be so stressful for all of you but this little guy is an inspiration.
You have to love modern medicine. It gives you hope.
Hugs PonyGirl

Kathy813

Staff member
Sounds like things are going well. Keeping your family in my thoughts . . .

Give a big hug to baby J for me.

~Kathy

ScentofCedar

Poor Grandma A! What a harrowing experience for all of you, Pony. Continuing to hold all in my thoughts and prayers. What stories you will have to tell THIS little one when he is older!

Barbara

Star*

call 911........call 911
Pony,

The strength that you have always shown us here is in those same tiny, little bones of baby J's. He's a fighter, and he's strong and now being through the worst of it I'm keeping you all in my heart and prayers for continued strength and peace.

Much love -
Star