Barbie has a new Easter playmate

Star*

call 911........call 911
It's.....Jesus. I swear to....well you get the point. Yes today folks in the Bi-Lo grocery store for $9.99 attired in the usual robe and sandals - was Jesus that action figure.

He has brown hair, moustache, beard. He has pecs that rival the Hulk and 6 pack abs!! (Mother Mary sold separately)

And it says on the box - Push my buttons I talk.

??????

I thought - there is NO Way I am standing in a grocery store pushing Jesus' buttons. And then the thought came to me about every Barbie doll that ends up in the toy box, naked and it just jerked my chain. I mean what? If Jesus gets bored with the Bethlehem look he can switch to Kens tuxedo or Jam shorts and polo pullover? Honest to....well you know what I mean.

I will say that NONE of them had sold - NONE. And my last gripe -

HOW did they know WHAT to make him look like????? HUH? COME ON -

Did they seriously think this would be a hot seller? At a grocery store?

And Mary looks more like his sister than his mother - they are both looking like action figure teens. Lordy, Lordy......well you know what I mean.

(author notes this is not a promotional post or a religious post)

Why would you BUY what you can have for free? Seriously -

Abbey

Spork Queen
I am always amazed at what people try to make a dime at.

Ok...here's the kicker.

My husband gets a call from a local Jewish temple.

They want a DJ tonight to scratch and mix some music from their religion with turn-tables!!! The images of scratching to Hava Navilga are a bit weird. I can't imagine scratching to ANY kind of religious music.

So, husband spent the day trying to come up with a good DJ name. I won't post his suggestions, as they were highly sarcastic. They want him to have a DJ name.

What a weird business.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
This is something. Not sure what. Abbey, it must be a strange business. A jewish DJ name? Hmmmmm.

Jesus and Mary Dolls.

Oh My.

Susie

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I saw these out right after Christmas. I looked at them, looked at my husband and asked him if I was seeing things. He said I wasn't. He is coming back but as a doll?????? I don't get it either.

Beth

donna723

OMG! Is it just me or does "Jesus" look a lot like Billy Ray Cyrus?

I'm not a deeply religious person but I find these to be very offensive ... disrespectful. Anyone who has raised a daughter knows that most of the Barbies, etc., end up naked at the bottom of the toy box. They color on them and give them haircuts, their brothers will pull the heads off and throw them at people, and the dog will chew them up or bury them in the back yard! I wonder if "Jesus" will fit into that little plastic Barbie convertible?

Maybe I'm just very old fashioned but I believe that an image of Jesus or the Virgin Mary should be treated with a certain amount of reverence and respect ... and not be peddled in Wal Mart or a super market as a kids' toy.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I find "Jesus and Mary" dolls to be a bit creepy and I'm not even Christian.

When husband and I bought our house, it came with one of those 'grotto style' shrines to the Virgin Mary in the front yard.

We very carefully wrapped it up in a plastic and a tarp, put it on a handcart preparatory to hauling it back to our garage and a neighbor comes up and says, "Hey! What are you doing with Mary?!" (husband said later he almost told her he was kidnapping her to hold for ransom but managed to be good)

That old house was full of crosses, praying hands, holy cards, all sorts of stuff (the previous owner had been a former nun).

The priest of our parish stopped by to make a welcome visit and husband came right out and said, "We're not Christian, let alone Catholic, but we've got an awful lot of stuff that was left in the house. Do you have any idea who could dispose of it for us in a respectful manner?"

The church sent two guys with a van over to pick up Mary and the smaller stuff the following Saturday.

As a funnier sidelight; there was a cold water pipe in the basement that had an enormous nun's rosary and crucifix wrapped around the joints. We unwound it and put it aside...the pipe burst three days later!

Star*

call 911........call 911
The rosary story was priceless. Yes, the dolls are creepy. I found an article that said they were Walmarts answer to parents outrage at the tarty Bratz dolls.

My thought? If Bratz was a problem - just make a nicer girl teen doll - or come up with a new My Little Pony ensemble. Know what I mean??

donna723

If Wal Mart were really concerned about the slutty little Bratz dolls being a bad influence on children, why don't they STOP SELLING THEM???

Could it be ...? :money:... surely not!

SRL

Once I went on a weekend church-type retreat and a time of quiet reflection was on the schedule. We were seated in a quiet room with dimmed lights and on the table in the front was a picture of Jesus and a lighted candle. What struck me about this particular picture was how good looking the artist made him look--well nourished, flawless skin, not a hair out of place, big brown eyes. He seriously looked like a stylist had got him ready for a photo-op. It was distracting enough as is was and then one of the two older ladies seated in front of me leaned towards the other one and whispered sincerely "What a nice picture of Jesus. He's looks so handsome."

That did it for me. Whenever I run into that picture I think of it as the Hunky Jesus photo.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have a friend who has a Granny (since passed) and she had a picture of Jesus in her home. It is the one of him laughing with his head back. Upon falling ill and failing her family brought her home from the hospital and did hospice at home. In her final hours she was still alert and slept on and off. She awoke at one point to tell the family that she had SEEN Jesus and was ready to go. Her family largely curious that perhaps Granny had an epiphany, and very religious all closed in closer to the bed and her daughter said "Momma, how do you know what Jesus looks like?" and Granny replied "Well because I have his picture on the dresser see there you can see him too."

After that my friend got a good laugh in church telling the congregation that HER family had seen Jesus - a hush fell over the auditorium. Then she said that Granny wanted everyone else to see him too - and took the 8x10 picture out of her bag. The place went crazy howling.

My favorite portrayal is him sitting with a white lamb in the crook of one arm and reaching out to the little scared black sheep on the ground looking up. For us in our house - it meant that even black sheep are loved.

donna723

My favorite picture of Jesus was on a mural painted on a hospital wall. We saw it when my daughter was a baby and spent the night in the pediatrics ICU after she had seizures. It was the most beautiful picture but painted very lightly on the wall so you didn't even notice it at first. It showed a smiling Jesus cradling an infant protectively in His arms, surrounded by several other small children. It was very comforting and reassuring to the parents whose children were in the ICU.

The only thing we know for sure about how Jesus really looked is that He probably looked just like everybody else who came from the same part of the world that he did! Artists have portrayed Him many different ways but if I had to choose, I probably would prefer to see Him shown as "Macho Lumberjack Jesus" instead of the "Wimpy Jesus" that many old paintings seem to display.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I have no words... The girls just asked me to turn down that scary song playing on You-Tube!!!
The things they do... whoever they are???

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know, this is awful. Cuz I know there are kids our there who enjoy Sunday school and such.

But the first thing that came to my mind is the kids who recieve these dolls are gonna either be cramming them to the bottom of the toy box or distroying them.

They're creepy looking.

And ya know, if Walmart has issues with the Bratz and such they DO have the option of NOT selling them. sheesh

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ever been to a WalMart on a Saturday without EARPLUGS????

NOW THAT IS CREEPY -

People talk to their children like they are animals.
Children talk to their parents like they are scum.
If you need help and you see a store rep - they run the other way.
If you need a buggy, you better get one on the way in because you KNOW the only 3 left up front have bad wheels and go in one direction only....left.
You have the sale paper and by 8:45 AM there is NOTHING left -but you notice there is a family with 8 members walking around with the maximum amount of an item alloted for 8 people - sigh.
the bathrooms if you dare - look like they were cleaned the day the store was opened and forgotten
babies develop inner ear infections upon entering the store and the dumb mother wont take them OUT for ANYTHING....

and as if that isn't bad enough - SOMEONE ate too much cabbage and they don't sell air freshener in the cosmetics aisle - it's in the grocery aisle and you are blocked in by two carts......and no gas mask.

THAT IS CREEPY -

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can't do Walmart or those low-end clothes shops (Marshalls, etc.). I'm sure they have good stuff, but the enviroment it too much for me. You're bumping into people left and right...the racks are so tight you can't see anything. I HATE to shop, so when I do...it's a quick in and out. I don't like sifting through racks and racks of clothes. Ugh.

It's not like I don't like discounts. I LOVE them. I have a few stores that I'm comfortable with. Love Dress Barn. Love Mervyn's. That's about it for me. I can go in and out in 15 minutes and have what I need for the next season.

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Abbey -

We make a list and whomever looses rock, paper, scissors - goes to Wally world. We do not go often, just some of their things on our budget are a necessity. We tried to shop at Kmart but here - they have gone down hill so if they don't care that WM is a monopoly - (pft)

My Mom turned me on to little foam disposable ear plugs (AND hand sanitizer) and that's how I do WM. I put the ear plugs in and block out all the noise and then sanitize the cart handle - remember not to touch something and touch my face - then sanitize my hands when I'm done. I can't stand crowds.