Beaner's school issues

nvts

Hi! Send a certified letter that you want an IEP. All you have to lose is the cost of the letter. You can withdraw the request at any time. In the meantime, you've started the clock ticking for them to start the evaluations.

Having an IEP will also help protect him if his behavior starts interfering with the other kids.

Again, if you decide that you don't want the IEP, you can always withdraw the request.

Beth

Steely

yes, it sounds like he needs a behavior modification plan in place asap. i would request an iep, and get this going, so that you all are protected. once the behaviors are better, than you can worry about getting more academics on board. has he been tested?

ggluvbug

My son has an IEP, and he has never failed a grade or really been behind. However, his emotional disability is such that he has trouble accessing the regular curriculum (IDEA language). So he has an IEP. Be forwarned. It takes alot to get an IEP if the child is not severely behind. My son is gifted so when I asked for Special Education testing(which is what they do with an IEP) I got some crazy looks.