Been a long weekend....Grandma in hospital

Mom2oddson

Grandma got really sick Saturday night. We were in the emergency room at 8am yesterday. It was 2:00pm before they figured out what was wrong with her. She has a partial bowel abstruction. So they need to keep her....but because of the May 5th celebrations - along with the super moon.... the hospital beds were full. It was 8pm before they had a bed for grandma.

Grandma is so scared. She won't stay alone so the hospital worked it out so that she can have family 24/7. Grandma needs to see you or she gets scared. She can only lay on her left side so if you are behind her she will get frightened. The down side of having a small family means there aren't many of us to take turns. With Grandmas dementia, she keeps thinking she's in a nursing home.

And the hardest part of the whole day was talking about what Grandma wants and what our options are. Grandma doesn't want any surgery or any major procedures. So, if her body can't work through this on it's own....Grandma wants to go home to die.

She's 94 and 8 1/2 months old..... but I'm still not ready for her to go. And I know my Mom is not ready. She's feeling guilty because she hasn't done enough for her Mom. .... Like on Friday when Grandma wanted to play a hand of cards but Mom was too tired to do it then...

husband and Dad are going to relieve Mom this morning. Since Grandma freaks when she is alone, Dad and husband can relieve each other. I will take the afternoon shift and then Mom will take the night shift again.

buddy

Sorry she is feeling so scared and unwell. My 96 year old grandma died a year ago and it was so hard, I really thought she could live ten years more. She is blessed to have you all there to sacrifice and love her while she is in crisis. It is really tiring but also a privilege that not many have I suppose.

Will pray for her to heal and this to end shortly. Hope it is not too stressful on everyone.