Being Held Hostage By a MOOSE!!!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK I know I talk about our Moose all of the time... but now she has taken up a spot right outside of our side door!!! She is eating the evergreens and then going over the little 3 ft fence and over to the cherry trees... She is happy as can be!!! She went over to the neighbors and just stared into the front door!!!

But she seems most happy in our yard... I noticed her when I let Clemmey out and she started barking, I thought one of the neighbors dogs was out... then I saw the big huge hulking figure in the evergreens...

In a low desperate whisper "Clemmey! Come here!, Get in the house!"
She came running in scared!!!
It has been here, over an hour!!! The neighbor whose house it was looking in the front door, called and was cracking up!!!

OK Miss Moosey... Enough already... She looks skinny... and she has tick spots, poor thing!!! I told the neighbor to run out and poor some frontline on her!!!
If it would EVER stop snowing, and then melt, she would be able to go up into the high country!!!
If I can get some video downloaded I will post it!!! IF... I am kinda slow that way!!!:faint:

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I want your yard. Only thing that is ever in mine is the neighborhood kids leaving their **** etc. The moose would scare them away. Anyway you could convince the moose to visit Iowa.

Beth

4sumrzn

How cool! I would love to see pics or video.....not something many people see every day. LOL! Would it be a REALLY bad thing to give her food of some sort instead of her eating your trees???? Just curious, sounds like she feels right at home & wants to hang out. What happens if you go outside??? Sorry if you've mentioned it before.

sandman3

Oh, Please, please, please post it for us to see! I could really use a good funny right now, and nature funnies are the best!

mstang67chic

Going Green
I've seen dogs, cats, squirrels, snakes, bunnies, deer, ground hogs, opposum, skunks, racoons and the occasional turkey buzzard in my yard or my parents yard. I've even seen a lion (real and alive) in someone's yard. But I can't say that I've ever seen a moose.

Post pictures/video!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!

tammyjh

That is too cool! I would love to see pics. We had a moose in our back yard before and they are huge.....even the small ones. Would love to see pics.

totoro

She left!!! Well for now, she sleeps in our front yard at night... so I have to be careful about walking Clemmey at night.
They do have Moose food if they are having a hard winter... which our Moose are. The neighbor and I talked and she might go buy some of the food since Miss Moosey has moved in anyway...
If we go outside she snorts and chases us!!! And with those long spindly 4 foot long legs!!! SCARY... I have seen her go after the neighbors dogs. Even if they are having fun, it is still a bit intimidating!
My MAC is not compatible with my Sony video camera!!! And husband is out of town... I will see if I can figure out how to do it with my phone... dumb MAC...

totoro

Sorry they are not that clear... but. If you click on the next ones you can see the little Bull Moose from earlier in the year also!!!

mom_in_training

Way cool!!!! I want your yard. Geeze the closest we come to nature where I am is having to deal with the droves of coyotes. On overcast days they are out like 24/7. We definitely have to keep our small pets indoors. Wow I would much rather have to deal with a moose. sooooo neat. Thanks for the pics, I could view them just fine.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Too cool. We drove thru moose village once and saw them laying in people's flower beds and stuff. you LIVE it. lol

Hey, beth, do you know where Ottumwa is? A few years back, a moose wandered down that way...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG! I soooooooo want your back yard.

Love the videos. :redface:

Since she is so skinny and sort of stuck there due to the weather would a wildlife foundation help you with feeding her, or pick her up and transport her where she should be?

Sort of worrisome that she is so skinny. Good thing warmer weather should be coming soon.

totoro

I just watched a special about Moose and this is a problem all over... they say with Global Warming it is keeping the tics from freezing and dropping off at the right times... they are able to survive longer. So the Moose become infested with them, and enemic... they lose huge patches of fur from trying to rub off the tics... They can't stay warm, they can't keep fat on their bodies... no win situation... very sad. We have Moose all over it is worse this season due to how much snow we have.
On the one hand you don't want to feed them... because you want them to be and remain self sufficient... but you feel for the poor thing... They will remove them here if they become too aggressive. But since I live in a pretty rural area... she is actually in a good area... there is actually enough food for her. I think it is the tics... When I look at the bedding area where she lies at night it is covered with dropped off tics... I have had to treat the cats and Clemmey... which normally we don't in the winter. I warned the neighbors as well.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
AAAWWWWEEEESSSOOOOOOMMMMMEEEE!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the clips -- LOVE 'em!

Poor "little" Moosey :( She needs a good dip in a flea/tick bath!

Star*

call 911........call 911
IF I had whoever is Loth's avatar in my house? I wouldn't ever come out. lol

Toto - can't your town put some hay and stuff OUT a ways from the town? It seems to me that there should be something an animal could eat that would rid them of ticks. Poor things. I'm still in the group that is outraged congress won't declare Polar Bears endangered.

The moose in ND are not so small and scabby looking - DF's mom called and there is one HUGE one in her yard again - eating her evergreens and some tree bark on a flowering tree. She said it's tall enough that it can look directly in her front window.

Maybe that's why the grass there grows so well?

Enjoy your moose - there are no moose in AZ.
Hugs to Clemmy and the girls
Star

Fran

Former desparate mom
How funny!
Thanks for the video. I understand Moose are pretty aggressive and mean. I wouldn't get too close.
I saw them when visiting the Grand Teton's a few years back.
We just have about 6 deer who come to eat my flowers every evening. Nothing too exotic like moose. Enjoy the nature show in your front yard.

sandman3

Good Lord it's beauuuuuuutiful up there!!! Can we move in?? LOL!

Miss Moosey is too cute, maybe you could start up an "Adopt a Moose" program in your area!