Best beauty secret?

scent of cedar

I am thinking about an overhaul, ladies!

What is your best beauty secret?

Best perfume?

Best facial?

Has anyone had laser resurfacing, and would you do it again?

My best beauty secret: Vaseline, very lightly applied to moist skin, is the best moisturizer I have found. Everything else (and I do mean everything!) makes me break out ~ even at my age. Remove the excess with a cool, moist cloth before applying makeup.

Best perfume: Ici. Very inexpensive. A softer, prettier version of Gauthier and a quarter of the price. (But I would like to find something less flowery and more sandalwood.)

Best Shampoo?

Conditioner?

Hair Dye?

And finally, where do we shop for wigs? (My hair is curly-frizzy, waist length and more gray than red, these days.)

It doesn't look as bad as it sounds ~ but it would be fun to have a wig and just slap that on instead of messing with my hair.

So, if any of us wear wigs, where did you find them?

I am going to try a Suze Orman or Paula (the cook on the Cooking Channel) style.

Any other beauty tips?

What about having teeth whitened?

Thanks, ladies!

Barbara

witzend

Best eye makeup remover -

1 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon baby shampoo, kept in a travel squeeze bottle dispenser. Get a cotton pad good and moist with the mixture and hold it on your eye for 5 - 10 seconds, then gently wipe off makeup. It removes all makeup first time. No rubbing or repeats. I've used the "oil free" and the expensive removers and they don't hold a candle to this. I make a new batch every 3 - 4 weeks to keep it fresh.

everywoman

My grandmother died with the most beautiful skin after spending years in the sun--She grew up on a farm, raised nine children at the beach (sun, sun sun) and only used and swore by Noxema. She used it as a cleanser, as a moisturizer, every night and every morning. At her visitation, we actually had a a jar sitting out instead of a picture.

A friend of mine just had a lifestyle lift. I haven't seen her yet. But, she is satisfied.

I also have very course, curly, frizzy hair. I have to use a lot of product to keep it undercontrol and I keep it cut short. Best hair products--TIGI Catwalk.

I love Ralph Lauren warm---in the pink bottle, but I'm having trouble finding it now.

N

Nomad

I did a beauty make over on myself a few years ago...best thing I ever did! I had a big birthday recently and did another mini one...again...FUN! So...I have IDEAS!

I am using John Frieda HAIR gloss in the colors. I have used them before. They are awesome and you can even get them in the grocery store.

It does come in RED...but it is a little harder to find in this color. I would consider getting your hair either professional dyed or finding a really good at home color. You probably would want something with some shades of red in it. As you probably know, the older we get (know from experience) we usually need to go a little lighter overall. The red gloss will help to keep the color fresh. The shampoo and conditioner are helpful...but the gloss is better. The John Frieda products are really good and people have told me their products to stop frizzy hair are also very good.

My favorite shampoos and conditioners are: Biolage (very good) and Aveda (excellent and all natural). I go back and forth between the two.

My favorite item to keep my feet smooth is a product made by Origins. It comes in a green tube...it is gel like and similar to vasoline...only stronger. When I run out of it, I use vasoline in the mean time. I find that the vasoline alone (for me) is not as good. I needed a little "extra" strength product now and again! (I think that is 'cause I like to where sandals alot!) That pediatrician Egg thing is great as well. Between all these items...I don't have to get a pedicure as often.

For facial cleaners: I use Oil of Olay and Roc...go back and forth between both.

My New facial cream/eye cream: ROC (just as good in my humble opinion as the exp. stuff I bought at the derm's office not too long ago) You can buy ROC products at the drug store.

Teeth Whitening
I would try the Whitening Strips first and see how that goes.
Believe it or not...there is a place in my local mall whitening teether for $100!
Bottom line...if you want to go to the dentist, compare prices.
Check the BriteSmile website for discount coupons.
Also, there is a toothpaste called GoSmile that some folks like...might be esp. good after the whitening strips (not sure).

WISHING YOU LOADS OF FUN/JOY...all good things! A good place to get ideas is The Sephora Shop...esp. if you get ahold of a REALLY good salesperson. I once got the ear of the manager...it was GREAT.

p.s. EW
WAS that RL product a perfume? One of my favorite perfumes is Ralph Lauren BLUE in the blue bottle! I'll check out WARM in the PINK bottle next time I'm in the store!

Last edited:

donna723

Not exactly a "secret", but I had a great-aunt who had the most beautiful smooth line-free complexion ... well in to her 60s' and even 70's. She had taken a daily dose of Vitamin E every day since she was a very young woman - she started taking it way back before anybody else even knew what it was! She swore by it! I don't know if that's what did it or not, but she had gorgeous smooth skin when everybody else her age looked like wrinkled up ol' prunes!

trinityroyal

Here are mine:

1) Face cleanser: Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Very gentle, doesn't sting, soap-free, non drying and keeps my skin silky smooth

2) Tooth whitener: Baking soda, made into a paste with a few drops of cold water. I use it instead of toothpaste each morning, and then floss and rinse with a fluoride rinse.

3) To look your best all the time: In your head, envision yourself looking fabulous with perfect hair, a beautiful smile and everything in place. Tell yourself "You look mah-velous dah-link". I know it sounds silly, but if you feel beautiful inside, people will see your beauty on the outside as well, no matter what your hair is doing or whether your makeup is perfect.

Have fun with the makeover Barbara. It sounds exciting!

Trinity

N

Nomad

My WW Leader use to say to picture yourself with a string in the middle of your body...running through the top of your head. Pull the string up and straighten out your body/posture. This is the way to look five pounds lighter and brighter. I swear it works.

witzend

Barbara, my hair couldn't be straighter if I used a straightening iron. I always wanted curly hair. You know the story, curly girls want straight hair, straight haired girls want curls.

L has super curly hair too. She got it from her dad, who has brillo pad hair. She wears it long and totally gunks it up to keep it in ringlet - y curls. It's stiff as a board.

My hair is pretty gray now, and I color it. I have for years. I also keep it very short. I wonder if rather than a wig, you might be happier with shorter hair? It's much easier to control, and with curl in it, it would be easier to style than my straight hair that grows forward. Even if you weren't thrilled with it and wanted to go with a wig, shorter hair would make it easier to keep the wig tighter to your scalp and more natural looking.

N

Nomad

It's a little embarassing that I have so many ideas....:redface:
I guess when you are in class with 20+ year olds...you don't want to be obviously much older!

Anyway, reading MORE Magazine this past year has also been fun and good for ideas. It is designed for women 40+ looking for ideas on how to feel and look their best. It is top notch.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What is your best beauty secret? Hydrate with lots of water and take vitamin E and omega oils.

Best perfume? Don't wear it usually, but when I do it's usually an oil essence such as lavander.

Best facial? I use Clinique products mostly for cleansing and they have some nice facials and scrubs.

Has anyone had laser resurfacing, and would you do it again?
I haven't done that, but I did buy the dermabrasion kit from Neutragenia and it is nice.

My best beauty secret:
My mom used vaseline and cold cream forever and at 86, she has lovely skin. I moisturize daily - slather it on. My skin is, if I do say so myself, beautiful. I've gotten lots of compliments on it.

Best Shampoo?
I buy Suave - it suits our needs. Once in a while I splurge on Pantene.

Conditioner?
Same as above.

Hair Dye?
I like the natural ones - can't remember their names.

And finally, where do we shop for wigs? I wear a wig and I buy mine *mostly* at
www.wigsalon.com. They have fair pricing, excellent brand names and fast delivery.

Any other beauty tips? Get enough sleep, moisturize, hydrate, and use a scrub at least once/twice a week.

What about having teeth whitened?
I use Crest whitening toothepaste and everyone tells me my teeth are the whitest...I personally don't see that. I think they could be whiter, but whatever. I like the flavor and results. I only use it at night. In the AM I use Tom's Natural toothepaste.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mine is Tyson. He's the best hair stylist I've ever had. I'm almost completely grey...which I don't mind, but it's an ugly grey. He colors and highlights it in the most natural manner. And, as a bonus, he was CHEAP. $40 to do color, highlights and cut. Dang I wish I would have had it done before I left.

Abbey

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I am with GVC!!!!!!!!!!!

My Nanna is 94 and still uses Noxema and has a baby face complextion!

In highschool my friends and I would walk around with vitamen E oil spots on our zits, LOL, we'd pop the capsules with a pin and squeeze it out, LOL

I just read in a magazine to look put together when you're not make sure your hair is pulled back and barretted at the nap of your neck, have one pair of medium to large hoop earring and a dazzling bag, wear lip gloss, tinted moiturizer and brown mascara and even jeans and a thirt look good

tiredmommy

I have very nice eyes and lips. I have used various eye creams since I was 15 years old to keep the area hydrated. I wear chapstick to bed every night and my lipstick never feathers because my lips are healthy. Also, a positive attitude goes a very long way! Most people wouldn't guess I'm 40, but much younger.

KTMom91

My best beauty secret is...Martin, who is a hair god. I started going gray in my 20's, colored it myself, because I'd lost contact with Martin. Now my hair looks great.

I use Colgate Total toothpaste, and fortunately I have really good teeth, so they look pretty good.

I need to get back into the habit of wearing sunscreen on my face...I stopped because the hot flashes were melting it and I looked like I was crying tears of milk. It was awful.

For shampoo, I use Fructis color-saving or something like that. It keeps my hair shiny and helps the color stay longer.

scent of cedar

Thanks, everyone!

Now, here is one I was embarrassed to admit to. Crisco shortening as a facial cleanser. I heard about that on Oprah one day about five years ago and tried it. (My skin is so sensitive that everything makes me break out.)

But the Crisco, I can use.

The Vaseline, I can use.

Strange, isn't it?!?

I am going to go check out that wig site, now. (Witz, the reason I don't cut it is because when I do take it down? It looks really cool. I am just too old to be running around in public with long, flowing (red and gray!) hair. As one of us suggested, I gather it at the nape of my neck, braid and wrap it tightly. Or, I French braid it. All of that takes so much time though, that I think a wig would be just the ticket.)

:)

Keep those beauty solutions coming, ladies! I appreciate it.

Barbara

susiestar

Roll With It
I go to Aveda to get Pure Fume instead of perfume. I went and got one for Jessie too. it is about $25 for a small bottle. You can pick the scent, or even combine 2 of them. So you customize it to be what YOU want. I am incredibly allergic to regular perfume - ALL of them.

how I attracted my husband? Worked in a Pizza shop - ALWAYS smelled like Pizza and he LOVED it!

I have always used a bit of vanilla for scent (when not just getting of work back then!) - it really perks up my mood and soothes also. I make my own vanilla with beans and light rum or vodka. I let it sit for a couple of months and WOW!

Aquaphor is my fave skin treatment - for ANY skin irritation and to moisturize, esp when my skin is really bad (psoriasis). It is vaseline and has chamomile essence or something so it is like supercharged vaseline.

I have also used Crisco, esp to get of makeup when it just won't come off.

Eye makeup remover is AWESOME for getting off those allday lipcolors.

I tried the Estee Lauder all day lipcolor and it really stayed on well, but the gloss/topcoat dries my lips out horribly. I end up using the CoverGirl topcoat because it is less gloss but moisturizes. If there is any petroleum jelly in the top coat you use it will take off the all-day lipcolors.

I have super-thick long hair - it is mostly gray, but people tell me it is a pretty gray. I use Jhirmack gray shampoo - it is a purple color - let it sit a few minutes and it makes your gray look really pretty.

For the extra moisture my hair needs I use Biosilk Silk therapy. You put it on after you wash your hair and towel dry it - or use on dry hair. A little tiny bit goes a LONG way to shine, moisturize and de-frizz.

The Frizz-Ease product is also great for frizzies, but make sure you use a deep moisture product weekly.

I also use a lot of Rose Water. I get it from the natural food store and use it on my skin when it breaks out or is rough. It seems to soothe the nasty psoriasis mess I get on my skin.

For acne? Peroxide the zits. Esp if you have whiteheads. I make Jess use it after a gentle acne scrub - REALLY helps. I keep it in a spray bottle so any sores can be cleaned easily.

Baking soda is GREAT for teeth. You can mix in a little cinnamon oil to the baking soda, keep in a small container and it improves teh taste.

trinityroyal

Baking soda is GREAT for teeth. You can mix in a little cinnamon oil to the baking soda, keep in a small container and it improves teh taste.

Oooooh. I'm going to have to try that. Plain, the baking soda paste tastes AWFUL! (I've been putting up with it because it works so well)