Better Sit Down for This One...

robinm1922

One day at a time
One of them was their take on school work. Apply the laws of natural consequences - don't turn in homework, grade is F. Don't study for test, grade is F. Don't get passing grades, don't get promoted to next grade. Guess what! The school will have classes for grade 8 (or whatever) again next year!

That sums up my approach this year. Keep telling difficult child that her friends are going to leave her behind, she swears that isn't going to happen but I am not yet convinced!
I actually have a psychiatrist that is behind this line of thinking. I told him I was looking at school as an early life lesson no work no reward. If you don't put out an effort you won't get anything in return! What she is doing in school won't cut it in the work force!

Maybe they should live in our places for a while and see if the reward and punishment thing really works. Not for mine just make all of us miserable!

AnnMarieTN

I'll take his number too! How ridiculous!

I wonder what he would do if we all called him asking for his miracle cure. I'll have to try it this evening when my difficult child gets home from school.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
As if.

And these docs think we live in denial!

Our SD has an online "gradebook" so we can see assignments daily. difficult child hates it, because she gets in more trouble for lying than for no doing her homework! Oh, she has consequences for that, too, but the lying gets privileges removed. "I don't have any homework"... If lie... "Since you didn't have any homework last night and watched TV, the rest of the week (weekend) you don't watch TV and do that nonexistent homework." "I don't have the phone!"... If lie... "Sorry, no phone calls for a week." And so on.

I am sending you lots of hugs because it sure does seem like the docs think we are the problem. Ha.

'Chelle

I happened to be watching a bit of Judge Judy the other day, and I definitely agree with her take on kids/teenagers. She said "how do you know a teenager is lying? They open their mouths" LOL and yep she caught the 15 year old she was questioning in a lie. Any kid, easy child or difficult child, of any age, will lie about homework if they don't want to do it. The only difference with a easy child or difficult child is the easy child understands and/or cares about the natural consequences a lot quicker than a difficult child.

If this guy's approach works, I'll send easy child to him, so she won't lie to me about just about everything under the sun just to get what she wants. Honestly, and it's probably the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) in him, but my difficult child doesn't lie to me about stuff. He'll tell me there's homework, and just not do it. I don't battle about it anymore either. He's at least to the point where he cares enough to get a passing grade.

WSM

I would have said, "Oh how great. I'll arrange to have her here every day after school and you can supervise the homework, since she won't lie to YOU."

Sheesh.

Last edited:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I love all of the snappy comebacks--

Too bad I couldn't think of one at the time. I just sat there like an idiot with my mouth hanging open....

--DaisyF

B

butterflydreams

WTH! Gee if it was only so easy! We parents wouldn't be pulling our hair out all the time. How many times out kids have promised us!

Marg's Man

Is your psychiatrist in the market to buy some real estate? I have a nice little bridge in Brooklyn I'm looking to sell real cheap!
I can do better than that!

We've got this extra large coathanger just cluttering up Sydney Harbour. It's a real nuisance. Why, just today the Queen Mary II had to dock at the Naval Base because it could not fit underneath!

Yes, Marg - corner!