Beware Paypal

H

HaoZi

I don't know how it happened, but checking my account today there are signature charges from my Paypal debit card made in four different states over two days. WTF?! Most are small charges, but the two larger charges in Vegas (!!!) are going to kill my bank account. They're not even that large, per se, just too large for what I have in there to absorb until it's sorted out. Because, you know, going through this with my iTunes account a few months ago wasn't enough, right?

I get paid Wednesday and that'll help tide me until it's properly sorted out, but they really need a way to stop charges and report them before the transaction goes through. Right now you can't dispute a transaction until it's gone all the way through, which is ridiculous.

Just a warning for anyone that has Paypal, keep a very close eye on it. I have the card in possession, so I don't know what happened. It certainly didn't leave my state for NV, FL, MD, and PA in the last two days. I reported it as stolen to stop anything further and changed all my passcodes and security questions again.

klmno

YIKES!! You don't have a difficult child around who'd do something like that do you? (No offense- some of us do have to worry about that.)

H

HaoZi

Kiddo is 10 and sure wasn't in Vegas yesterday! Card never left my wallet. Cloned maybe? It's not an RFID card but I can't rule out the possibility of that or internet fraud.

klmno

Ohhh- I have never used paypal but was thinking someone, whether your daughter or visitor in the home or whomever, could have ordered or used it online to purchase something in Vegas. Still, it hoovers to have to go thru that.

DammitJanet

I dont have a paypal credit card but do use the paypal service itself on ebay and occasionally on another website if they have it linked to buy through paypal instead of giving my debit card info. I will go check. I havent used paypal in months though. Just checked my paypal and Im good...whew! I will pass this on to Billy though because he has the credit card. Maybe it is more likely with that.

S

Signorina

Your debit card number has been compromised. Report the charges as fraud not as disputes. Do it in writing to preserve your rights. It's probably not Paypal-likely your acct number was hacked from somewhere you shopped months ago. I had it happen with my Chase visa in october.

H

HaoZi

Their customer service is iffy, easier to cancel the card and dispute. I have sent emails to three of the four places it was used for, haven't located the fourth one yet. The three I did find were all non-profit. Wondering if it's a computer error processing donations wrong. The charges are still pending though authorized. We'll see. To report as fraud I have to wait and use that as the reason for dispute, which leaves me waiting until they go through or are maybe corrected and canceled.
I think doctor needs to up my medication. :S

Steely

WOW HaoZi it sounds like my bad karma went East - sorry :( This online money world we live in hoovers. I still am contemplating living off the grid. I am so done. HUGS.

H

HaoZi

Just heard from one of the non-profits money went to, they said they got hit by ghost-bot thieves and I gave them the transaction numbers to reverse the payments. If money wasn't so tight I'd tell them to keep it, it only totaled $7. I'll have to remember to send them a proper donation after tax time for such prompt replies.

skeeter

Again - we will never EVER have a debit card again. Only a credit care. A debit card takes the money out right away (and depending on the transaction, there can be a hold for MORE than the transaction amount put on the card - gas stations are notorious for that). Even if you use your debit card as a "credit card" it's not safe.
With a credit card, you at least have the time to dispute before money comes out of your account.

Our debit card was compromised a few years ago over Memorial Day Weekend. I just happened to look at our account and found it - AFTER they had taken $4000 out. We did eventually get it all back, but it took months to finalize it all.

TerryJ2

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
My difficult child didn't do it either. But he could have. :(
I'm going to check my acct right now.

DDD

It's also possible that the charges were nut made in the State shown but ordered and shipped from there. Fortunately the only time we've had problems with AE and they shut the # down pronto and refunded the charges. Have to say, however, it really irked me to see charges for deluxe suites in Vegas, fine dining charges and dozens of long stem roses on my card.

Has anyone else noticed that credit charges are run with-o signatures at alot of fast food joints, gas stations etc?? Evidently they just put through charges under $25 with-o question. Yikes. DDD

DammitJanet

Well I am very pleased with my credit union and my debit card. I used my debit card from house to order a book online the other day from a less well known place. I had no idea this place was coming out of France. Within 3 minutes after I placed that order I got a phone call from my credit union asking me if I had used my debit card in the past hour in the amount of x amount at a place called xxx. They were checking because even though it was a small amount of money, it was coming out of my account at a business overseas in a place I couldnt be!

Good customer service looking out for me.

M

Mamaof5

This is why I use prepaid credit cards! I no longer use anything Paypal or Paypal related. If I want to purchase something from online I go with cash to the nearest place that sells prepaid credit cards in town and then use that.

Too many freaking thieves out there on the interwebs...New Age Crime at its best (snark - NOT). Makes me SO SO miffed when I see stuff like this, not only are you a victim but now those non-profits are victims too. Their reputation as non-profits is now tarnished in a way and for a non-profit (I've worked with the no kill shelter here for 3 years, they are non-profit) reputation is everything. Without it, your dead on the water.