Bifocals

Andy

My eye doctor and I have been teasing each other for the last few years about who will need bifocals first. She assured me that because I am a tad older, I will get them 1st and yes, I will need them in the future.

I had an eye exam on Friday. Told her I couldn't see. She asked me if the problem was just in reading and I said no, I just can not see as well period. We continue exam and sure enough, I can not see well out of my left eye - very fuzzy! OMG, I told you I couldn't see as well this shows I am not completely crazy. The stigma in my right eye improved and not much of a change in my right eye. This is so weird (even though eye doctor told me it is normal).

So, I have bifocals coming. I decided to keep my frames because I like them and want to save money (the lens are too expensive). That means I will not have these current lens to fall back on if I have trouble adjusting. I am looking forward to better eye sight again though.

Send good vibes that I will easily adjust to this.

Nancy

I didn;t have any problemadjhusting to bifocals. I got the progressive no line bifocals and they work fine.

I hope you adjust easily and your vision improves. There's nothing worse than not being bale to see well.

Nancy

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've been wearing bifocals for 20 years, and am extremely nearsighted. I basically started with the bifocals because I got tired of leaving my reading glasses all over Europe back when I was a contractor for the US Gov't.

I had no adjustment problems, and I wear the "lined" old-fashioned bifocals. In fact, the transitional lenses gave me fits due to reduced field of vision and nausea.

Oddly, since I am now at the age where farsightedness tends to begin, I've noticed that I have problems reading fine text either through the reading half of the bifocals and the distance half of them.

Means trifocals for me on the next opthalmologist visit. I'll still go with the lined version. They are cheaper and I've proven that the lines don't bother me.

donna723

I doubt if you have a problem with them. I've been wearing the no-line bifocals for twelve years now and got used to them very quickly. There's a few things, but I adapted in just a few days. To see anything really clearly, you have to look directly at it, but that's no big deal. I had to get used to using the computer or reading with my head tilted back slightly because I have to be looking through the bottom of the lenses.

If you've worn the same glasses for a long time, you may be very surprised at the difference when you get new ones! I wore my old ones for so long, and never realized how much my eyes had changed and how much I was missing! There were things I had trouble reading even with my glasses on, and I had practically given up reading for pleasure because it was so difficult and hurt my eyes. When I got the new ones there was such a difference, I almost cried! I never realized how bad it had been until I could see properly again. Good luck!

Andy

Trifocals!! Going North, I am going to think of you if my eye dr ever mentions that step. But I suppose that will be next.

I believe I ordered the no line ones. Last time I got a new prescription, I also got new frames and didn't wear the new glasses until I woke up the next morning. Those first few minutes walking out of the eye doctor place with new glasses are so weird.

When my eye doctor was talking bifocals, she said, "When you get to this point....." I just laughed and told her I noticed she was kind enough not say, "When you get to be this old ......"

I shouldn't be such a wimp about this. Though I think sometimes with all we go through with our difficult child's it is o.k. to give ourselves a pity party if even over a silly thing like being nervous about bifocals?

Thank you! I let you know how they go once I get them.

B

butterflydreams

I hope you adjust well. I got the no line bifocals a few years ago and adjusted no problem. I went to the eye doctor a couple of months ago again. I procrastinated because I knew it would be expensive. My prescription had changed a lot. My new glasses are a little harder to adjust to, but I can see much better. The biggest thing I have found is if I look down when I step down like off a curb, it looks way down - like its a bigger step than it really is. Eyeglasses are so expensive!

Christy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I can't hear a thing you said - battery keeps falling out of my hearing aid.

THere's a place on line that has all types of frames and glasses for $39.00

If you want I'll look or maybe Susiestar has it.

I typed that real big so you could see it! :crazy1:

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'll ask my student teacher tomorrow because she buys them on-line for $8.00.

I've been using bifocals for 2 or 3 years and had no problems adjusting. I have the old fashioned line ones.

susiestar

Roll With It
I got my glasses (high power, LOTS of astigmatism) from zennioptical.com and from goggles4u.com this time. They are both very clear, no problems with them of any kind. I jsut had the eye doctor's secretary (grumpy witch) check them to see if they are the exact prescription. She said they are closer than what the LensCrafters next door has been making.

The pair from Zenni are memory titanium (they bend up into all kinds of ways!) and they are great. The bridge (over the nose) is not, but the rest is (well, they are rimless, so there isn't much else too them, LOL!)

The pair from goggles4u are photochromic. They don't get much darker in light, not as dark as I would like, but they are much better than regular.

Both pairs ahve anti reflective and scratch coatings on them. There is no guarantee unless the prescription is wrong.

BUT each pair was under $70 WITH shipping. My hesitation with goggles4u is that they are made in Hong Kong. I worried about problems.

I know several people now who have bifocals from them, they have only had the normal adjustment problems.

AFter being told thank you's glasses would be well over $300 AFTER tehy took 1/2 off because he was a kid, I am feeling some of the same bias though.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ok...why am I the ONLY person who couldn't adjust to bifocals??? I want to throw a fit right now.

My first was in 3rd grade. I've tried them many times over the years but couldn't do the adjustment between regular vision and the bifocal part. Stairs were a nightmare for me.

I finally degraded to granny glasses that you buy in the pharmacy. They work fine.

My last pair was nearly $700. doctor convinced me of transitions, all the fluffy stuff. Never again.

I wish you better luck.

Abbey

Andy

Abbey, I knew there was a reason I am nervous - I think I have heard others who have had trouble adjusting - in fact, husband is having problems with his new ones. However, if this was a vote, so far the "no problems" are winning so I will jump on that side and feel good until I get them - if I have problems, I will come over to your side and complain to everyone else. :crazy1:

Star, you are so kind - thank you for the large print.

Thank you to everyone on the heads up for bargain hunting.

I just remembered that I need to drive one hour to a difficult child psychiatrist appointment Thur a.m. (leave home at 6:45 am). Suppose to get the glasses tommorrow so they had better work by Thursday am.

Going North, I am going to tell my eye doctor that she can not tease me about trifocals until she gets bifocals herself and we have to wait a few years.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Adrianne,

I have the trifocals myself ~ started out with bifocal but because of my work at the time (very eye intensive), I needed to move to the trifocal.

I ordered & have loved the progressive lenses. A bit more expensive but well worth it. I wait for the 2 for 1 sales & order sunglasses at the same time.

I had no trouble getting used to these glasses - had to remember to follow my nose.

Just follow your nose & soon you'll have the hang of it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I bought my glasses on line. After I had my exam here near in real life, I took the script and placed my order on line. I chose to get separate glasses, one for reading and one for driving. The in-between vision was not a problem (then). Anyway, the driving lenses have worked out really well. They cost $39 at 39dollarglasses.com. It was a good deal. Then I made the mistake of going there to order my sunglasses for driving. They came as regular lenses and the scrips was horrible. Had to send them back - twice. They still stink, but I use them when it's too sunny. I can't afford to go to a real optometrist until late Summer, I hope.

I also bought difficult child her driving lenses from the same website. Her first pair came back with one lens falling out, sent them back. The second pair, same thing, sent them back. Finally, the third pair came back fine, the script is okay. But difficult child too will get a regular exam, etc., at a REAL place late Summer. I recently acquired vision coverage so I will only pay half of what I would have paid originally.

Anyway, point is, be careful with the on line places. If you really need to pinch your pennies, then go for it, but don't expect it to be perfect. Also, the mailing back and forth took quite some time before they finally got it right. on the other hand, they were very nice and easy to work with, had a great selection and the customer service line was fabulous.

donna723

Really, the only adjustment I had to make with my new ones was that the frames were smaller than the old ones. So now I "see" the frames out of the corner of my eye, where before I didn't.

When I got my new ones, they suggested that I wear my old pair to drive home and then try out the new ones at home at my leisure, rather than trying to drive with brand new glasses.

DammitJanet

Im another one who simply didnt seem able to adjust to the no-line bifocals. I thought maybe since I had never worn bifocals if I started out with them I would do ok...NOPE! I got them and had to drive straight up to the Difficult Child area following my nose...oh what a disaster! That is much harder than it sounds...believe me.

I took them back and got the lined pair ...and thanked my lucky stars that I had bought mine at this place that did buy a pair get one free and had my free pair waiting on me to pick out. What I did was get my free pair in a distance only...tinted pair...which I use only for driving. I kept the bifocals in the house and they ended up breaking...I need to go get the info from the glasses place so I can order a new pair from the cheap place online.