Big daddy of a meltdown

Malika

Oh, alright, I take it all back then :) Seriously, without the fairly detailed information I wouldn't have had a clue about any of that or what to ask for and so I do say thank you. So there!

InsaneCdn

Buddy has as much of a problem with praise as Malika does...

Just sayin'...

Malika - you're right. Bouncing stuff around the board gives us an advantage we can't get anywhere else.

Buddy - you're right. Info alone doesn't do anything... WE have to do the doing...

Good job, both of you.

(so there)

Malika

Wouldn't you know it (of course)... having said J was rarely violent these days, tonight he was. Picked him up at 6.30 from the after-school care and he looked exhausted... eyes red... he started whining on about me buying a toy and then when that didn't succeed about watching television (which he has never been able to watch on school days and i will NOT give in one inch on that because if I do the whole floodgate will come down and he;ll be tantruming for it every night, and morning... Anyway, finally back at home, he wouldn't calm down and started kicking me, and laughing... horrible... eventually I got food into him (a struggle) and it all slowly dissolved and he turned into Mr Sweet again, apologising... I have to remember to take him something to eat EVERY time now, even though it's only a minute's walk between home and school.

InsaneCdn

I have to remember to take him something to eat EVERY time now, even though it's only a minute's walk between home and school.
been there done that. I used to carry an oversized purse... just to handle ALWAYS having snacks along. It got heavy... but that was easier to deal with than a hungry difficult child.

buddy

I am trying to get better, so Thank You.

I do sincerely agree with ic though....we can have all the info in the world but everyone here knows that's a small part of the battle....the easy part comparatively speaking. Thank heaven we have this forum to share.

Sorry about the rough night. It seems to make some sense that when j is uncomfortable in some sense he goes for what he knows makes him happy. He doesn't seem to really register "I'm hungry" or "I'm over-tired" ...So glad you got food into him.

Malika

Yes, of course, he is clinging on to what he likes when he feels bad... I hadn't seen it like that before. I did tell him this morning that he gets like this when he is tired, hungry and thirsty. Maybe if we work on it a bit, he will get to the stage where he can say that himself instead of lashing out...
The oversized purse... for a moment I visualised an enormous... what do you call it in American Eng, where you carry money?... with the snacks getting all squashed up with the bank notes and coins. Then I realised of course IC was talking about a handbag :)
Not sure if I can't accept compliments in the context of the forum. Can we try it and see? :)

buddy

ROFL I usually have the snacks smashed up in my purse with coins, dog treats, wallet, etc. Sometimes two bags, often just the one purse.

InsaneCdn

The oversized purse... for a moment I visualised an enormous... what do you call it in American Eng, where you carry money?... with the snacks getting all squashed up with the bank notes and coins. Then I realised of course IC was talking about a handbag
In Canadian English... a purse is what you carry your wallet in, and your wallet is what you carry your money in... and a handbag is a small, elegant purse usually reserved for formal occasions.