Bioidentical - Paxil ??

K

Kjs

I started my bioidentical two weeks ago. Dr. said it will take 8 - 12 weeks to see a difference.

Things have been REALLY bad. I am just in a really bad place. Even missed work and last week was talked to. They wanted to know if it was something at work that is upsetting me because there is obviously something wrong. I don't sleep. Maybe an hour or two throughout the day. I hide in my room and cry non stop. If I DO come out it is nothing but a fight between everyone. I just can't take it. I just can't go on like this.

SO...at one point in the last week, difficult child came to me in my room and said he was sorry, and that he is trying so hard on so many different levels. At school, dealing with this "outside his body feeling", anxiety attacks, friends/drugs...etc.

(back up a minute. Many years ago I was on Paxil. It was the best I ever felt in my life. I quit because I felt so good and because of weight gain.) I was on it for about 5 years. Coming off was horrible and swore I couldn't go through that again. I have tried everything and nothing helps me. I have been off for about 5 years now.

OK...I told difficult child I was sorry too. And to give this bioidentical a chance to work. If it didn't work, I told him I would try Paxil again. (now one of his teachers take this and told him how great it is. difficult child looks everything up so is informed on medication) difficult child would never consider any medication that has a side affect of weight gain. He is super sensitive of his weight.

Anyway, when I said that to him, he said he would try Paxil too. ?????
Shocked me. Only our relationship throughout our house just got worse and worse after that conversation.

Paxil DID work for me. What do I do? Do I weight the three months to see if Bioidentical helps? Do I call and see if I can take Paxil again? I can't feel like this anymore. Having really bad scary thoughts. I am afraid. I am afraid to even drive to work. I am just in a bad place.

But if I did that, how would I know if bioidentical helped? And difficult child taking Paxil ????that just throws me. He looked it up and it targets all his issues. Does this mean he wants to try it? Has anyone had a kid on this?

I just don't know what to do. Can't go on like this. I just can't.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
I am not sure what a bioidentical is, is it a generic? Sorry, uninformed here! I say run, do not walk back to your doctor and ask for something else or in addition to or something! I am worried about you. It is not good to be in that dark place for any length of time.

Please call your doctor!!

Concerned hugs, Vickie

K

Kjs

Bioidentical is specifically made for each person for Hormone replacement. I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago and have had a difficult time with menopause. I didn't know (nobody told me) that the hysterectomy would put me in menopause!
Anyway, finally after dealing with all the hot flashes, and other issues went to a doctor that works with this. Did a hormone panel among other tests. Because I have no ovaries my body makes no hormones. Cholesterol up, bone mass down, muscle loss, weight gain, hot flashes, night sweats, irritability...I got it all. What bioidentical is is a prescription for the specific hormones that I need. I have tried hormone replacement, but that is only estrogen. With bioidentical I get progesterine, testosterine and estrogen. On a level of what MY body is calling for. I like this doctor. He made me laugh. When he was explaining what all the hormones do and how they work and what happens to a person and their MIND during menopause (22 year veteran, board certified man) I told him unfortunately I live with 3 boys who don't believe menopause is a real thing. He said to go home and have their testicles cut off and ask them how they feel in a few days!!! I laughed so hard.

But also many years ago when I was taking Paxil I had no hot flashes. Paxil took that away. So, how would I know which is helping? Bioidentical would help with the hormone levels and cholesterol, bone and musle loss.

I just don't know what to do.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Wow, never heard of that before. I, too had a TAH/BSO when I was only 29. Been on Estradiol since then. I still have night sweats, mood swings, major weight gain (might be all the cake I ate yesterday :p ) etc. I had no idea they could "customize" your hormones. Cool.

Sorry you are having all the issues though. There has to be something they can do for you while the new medication gets in your system!!!

Hugs, Vickie

Josie

Maybe you could try one of the SSRI's that is easier to get off from than Paxil? Paxil is supposed to be one of the worst to stop.

My daughter has Lyme disease, migraines, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We have been working for 2 years to get it all under control. We used to try to change only one thing at a time, because that is the most prudent thing to do, but it was taking forever to get anywhere. So I started trying supplements and changing her medications at the same time. Finally, we might be seeing a little bit of progress. I don't know what it is from and I don't care. We will keep doing it all. Eventually, we will try to stop medications/supplements and see which ones are doing what.

So with that background, I would say take the a/d and the hormones. You've been depressed/anxious for a while now. You felt better on Paxil even before the hysterectomy so this might not be just menopause.

Also, based on my experience, you might know if you don't need the SSRI any more because the hormones have started working. I was taking Lexapro and made a diet change. I could immediately tell that I had too much serotonin and needed to stop the Lexapro. I was able to wean off pretty quickly because I had a natual boost of serotonin to make up for the lack of Lexapro.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know much about the bioidentical hormone therapy. But if you think that it's all hormone-related, then maybe that will help.

For people like me, depression evolves from the neurochemical system breaking down under stress. And my stress was exacerbated by Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD).

For people like my husband, depression evolved from a different neurochemical breakdown (I suspect) in the form of a mood disorder that was likely inherited, and perhaps was triggered by the stress of moving away from home to go to college. Everyone in his family said that's about the time he just became a different person (and pictures from that time really do indicate he was depressed).

husband has been on Paxil about two years now and it made a huge difference in his overall demeanor. Even people at work and the dentist office have commented on how much happier he is!

in my opinion, if something works for you, take it. And don't be ashamed to take it or feel like you have to try to function without it.

If you want to give the bioidentical a try, go for it. But it sounds like you are really, really suffering right now and I'm not sure you can afford to wait two or three months for relief. An SSRI will start helping in about 2 weeks. Just something to think about.

Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry you are in such a dark and scary place.

I don't know if it is the hormones or not. For some taking a low dose birth control pill provides the mix of needed hormones without the expense of bioidentical. Around here the bioID costs $50 just to MIX the medications. You actually have to pay for the medications, and whatever they are carried in on top of that. and the few docs who do rx this at all seem to need several appts to get a workable formula. But for some women this is just crucial.

Now I know you don't want to hear this next part. I will only say it this once.

I think you need to go for INPATIENT evaluation if you are scared to even drive to work. The dark and scary thoughts have been ramping up for a while, based on past posts and the events in your life/attitude of the men in your life toward you.

I don't know why you seem to need to stay in this relationship that is hurting you so very badly, especially when your husband is so terrible to you.

These feelings won't be fixed solely by hormones. There is just too much going on with an adult child who is blaming you for his brother's mental illness, a husband who only seems to engage with you to hurt you emotionally or fight with you unless you send him on a trip with what small legacy was left to you by a treasured relative.

I am afraid FOR you. I don't want to one day get the news you have hurt yourself.

PLEASE talk to your doctor and get in to see a psychiatrist and therapist ASAP. I know it won't be "possible" for you to get inpatient help because job, etc...

But as upset as you have been/are, work is already seeing it. I think they would be happy to give you the time to care for yourself rather than see you in such pain.

Please at least THINK about getting some inpatient help before you hurt yourself. If something happens to you do you think that difficult child will benefit from it? husband could handle the boys on a long weekend trip, surely he can handle them at home for a few days to a week.

I am just so scared for you.