Bip?

sosotired

difficult child was put on a BIP last year. I was contacted by the social worker to go in for what I thought was a yearly 504 review. Got there to find the district psychologist with BIP in hand. When I asked if observation was done, I was told yes, by the district psychologist for one day. When I asked if all the behaviors noted were observed in that one day, she said no, the majority of the information was from the teacher.

We were scheduled to meet 4 weeks later to check on progress. I requested a longer period as I didn't see how he could drastically change things with their suggested interventions in only 4 weeks. They scheduled it for 6 weeks out.

When we met again, his behavior was markedly improved and I was told, we'd schedule another meeting if and when it was needed. I've heard nothing about it since then.

What exactly is the intent of a BIP? Is it a tool to document poor behavior allowing a school to move a child to a SPED environment or is it truly a benefit to the child to have the school address issues in a productive manner?

None of the interventions have been employed this year. Should I request to have the BIP closed? Is it of benefit to my son to leave it open (if it even still is)?

Wiped Out

Staff member
My son has a BIP and for him, when it is followed it is very helpful. The year they didn't follow the BIP was his worse year. This year they are following it very well and he is having his best school year ever (still not perfect, of course).

Did they do and FBA before developing his BIP? Also, parent input on BIPs is extremely helpful, I'm surprised the district psychologist came to a meeting with one completed.

I have a couple of students with BIPs and they are very helpful when done right. In our school district the BIPs are attached as part of the IEP. We are almost a completely inclusive school district so here, at least, they are not used to move kids to another enviornment.