Bird love...

witzend

I was getting dinner ready today and I heard this horrible grinding metal sound. It lasted about 10 seconds, and then again about 20 seconds later it happened again. It kept going at a regular pace, so I went to the back door to see if I could hear it. It seemed like it was getting further away so I went back to the kitchen, and there it was again! So, I opened the window and it was really loud. Then I went up to the front door and checked. It was fainter, so now I am wondering what is coming and going outside, and go back to dinner. Half a minute later and it's as loud as it ever was, so I walk back to the front door past the fireplace, and rattle rattle ratatatatat! So, one more time out the front door, and looking at the roof this time. There's a Flicker (woodpecker) on top of my chimney tapping on the metal flashing.

I like birds, and I've heard that they will do this in the spring until they find a mate. I'm waiting to see if they really do it at 5:30 in the morning. I hope he finds a girl soon!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
So what you're saying is that you've got a real love-sick head-banger who's into heavy metal...

I think that's probably just as bad as the dang mockingbird we had singing his heart out every night in the tree by our bedroom window. I think he finally got a girlfriend because we haven't heard him in a while... either that or something got HIM.

witzend

So what you're saying is that you've got a real love-sick head-banger who's into heavy metal...

I think that's probably just as bad as the dang mockingbird we had singing his heart out every night in the tree by our bedroom window. I think he finally got a girlfriend because we haven't heard him in a while... either that or something got HIM.

I don't know, it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. It would have to be a cat. Or another mockingbird!

I'm just waiting to hear from husband in the morning about that dratted bird. Or the dogs howling and barking when it wakes them up at the crack of dawn and they think (heaven forbid!) someone is knocking at the door.

DDD

I like birds in the yard. Probably that is another reason that I don't like cats!
I am not "into" birds but we must have at least five different species in our yard AND they sing and talk 24/7. That was never true at our other homes.
These birds must sleep in shifts, lol. Somehow I get a kick out waking up
in the middle of the night and hearing birds singing as I head to the potty.
;) I hope your bird does rat a tat tat 24/7. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful

:rofl: :rofl:

Witz.......we have woodpeckers in the neighborhood. And at least the one's here can most certainly wake you up in the wee hours of the morning! grrr But I find it less annoying than this other bird pair we have living in the pine trees across the alley. Now they're LOUD and they start early, before dawn.

The woodpeckers I drown out with the window fan. This other pair......no. Not even the fan helps. They drive me crazy.

Abbey

Spork Queen
DDD...I have the same thing here. I've never lived in a place where those darn outside birds DON'T SLEEP. At first it was nice to hear them at 3am, but now it's just annoying. They wake me up all the time. And, it's not just one or two birds but dozens of them. I have two HUGE pine trees right outside my bedroom window that they like to hang out in.

Abbey

DDD

Abbey, I was just thinking...maybe...if you've been giving off negative bird vibes lately...just maybe...the birds are the ones who rang your doorbell to retaliate! ;) I wouldn't put it past them! DDD

muttmeister

I live where there are lots of birds and I enjoy listening to them, even at night. There are owls behind my house that communicate all night long. I do love to wake up and hear them, although I'm glad we don't have screech owls; they are another story. And i'm not overly fond of the neighbor's peacocks either but the wild birds sing me a lullaby.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Mutt -

Our neighbor had a peacock. Never heard their errrreeeeeh eeeeerrrrryea noise. Nearly called the police thinking some poor child was beeing beaten every night by my neighbors. DF came outside - I got him involved and he finally figured out it was a peacock. The look on my face was priceless.

Our owl sings - Hey hey Ya'lllllllllllllllllllllllllll Hey Hey Ya'llllllllllllllllllllllll (southern own)

But the one that got me those MOST? The mocking bird - Dude used to yell "Momma" - no kidding a bird picked it up - and we'd be outside and this bird would chirp "Momma" "Momma" - DF even heard it. IT used to make me jump because when the MOcking bird did it - it sounded like Dude in distress. lol......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey maybe the birds did ring your doorbell.

I've got a cast iron dinner bell on my front porch. This thing is heavy enough that the wind never moves it. But this one day it rings. So I go and look who rang the bell. No one is there. By the time I get back to the kitchen it rings again. Again when I look no one is there.

Next day the same thing all over again. So, I'm beginning to wonder if I have a ghost around that has a thing for my dinner bell. lol

Finally I hang out near the front door with the mini blinds pulled up. It was those annoying birds that live in the pine trees across the alley. Male bird was "showing off" for female bird!!! OMG :rofl:

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Daisy! What do you mean "one of those annoying birds"? They have names!

husband and I used to be avid birders before children came into our lives...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsRjzX1CU54"]YouTube - Red Green Show Adventures in Bird watching[/ame]

witzend

I love Red Green! They don't show him here anymore though. I haven't thought about him in years. I might have to start a cross stitch for husband now that I think of it.

"If a man can't be handsome, he might as well be handy."

Or do I go with the Man's Creed?

"I'm a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess."

muttmeister

I love Red Green too but we don't get him anymore either. I wonder why? My friend who lives in Tulsa gets him and they are new shows. Guess I'll have to move.
One of the things that used to make difficult child#1 mad was that he liked Red Green but he didn't like the fact that I liked him too. We each watched the same show, but in separate rooms. LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG we get the NEW Red Green show - DF turned me on to him - he's a hoot - (did I say that on a bird post) ????

OH MY GOSH SHADOWS SHADOWS SHADOWS.....THE MAN CREED SIDEWAYS -

Have a friend who frames - (she says running screaming from her office)

mstang67chic

Going Green
I saw something on PBS recently (not that this has a thing to do with sordid bird love) about the Red Green Show. The guy that plays ..... the nephew....WHAT is his name? Anyway...the guy who plays him? Looks NOTHING like him. He's actually quite good looking! It's amazing! Apparently, this guy is also the only actor in Canada to have won their equivelant of an Oscar in both comedy and drama in the same year!