Birds Love Dinner Bells!!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Hound dog, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

I have a cast iron dinner bell shaped like an old fashioned bell with an American flag mounted to a post on the front porch. It has a small rope dangling down to ring it.

So, yesterday I'm cleaning and I hear the bell. I'm like What the heck?? So I go look. Cuz with a cast iron bell it takes more than a breeze to ring it. I don't see anything. I go back to cleaning. A bit later it rings again. I ignore it. A while later it rings again, several times.

Now it's a bit breezy but no where windy enough to ring the bell. So I go look. I peek out the blinds on the front door. I see a female bird perched on the porch railing. A male is on the steps.

I think....No way. Are they playing with my bell?

So I wait.

I stand there for 10 mins peeking out the blinds looking like an idiot. Then all of a sudden they fly up grab the rope and ring the bell!:surprise:

:rofl: :rofl:

They were at it all afternoon. Everytime I had the camera in my hands they'd fly off.
  2. klmno

klmno Active Member

How cute!! I hope you can get some photos or better yet, a mini-clip. That would be great!!
  3. mrscatinthehat

mrscatinthehat Seussical

How cute. Hmmmm are they trying to get you to feed them?

4. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

That's too funny! :D
  5. Hound dog

Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

I dunno Beth. It's possible, I guess.

Usually our outside cat Willie's food dish is on the porch. But he hasn't come home regularly for a long time. So I don't fill it unless he meows at the door. Otherwise the crows and pigeons come and I'm scrubbing bird doo off my porch. (they really make a mess)

And I do know that all sorts of birds used to snatch his food if he wasn't quick about eating it. lol