birthday Ideas for 18yo?

susiestar

Roll With It
Wiz turns 18 today!!! I am truly amazed and thankful that he has reached this milestone and is in a fairly good place. I am not sure if he will actually go to college next year, but he is doing well in the program he isin now. He has a girlfriend, his first serious one that we/my parents know of.

We got a "wish list" for his birthday and Christmas. I don't want to get more D&D stuff, or horror movies, esp not when so many have a religious bent that is very offensive to husband and to my inlaws.

The only other thing was money on some card to use for world of warcraft - a game I will not ever fund. Not for him.

Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks!

klmno

Money, gift card to restaurant he can take his girlfriend or store to buy clothes or games (as you thought of already), a nice watch or billfold- something that indicates a bit of a milestone and being proud of him, jacket, a letter from you saying how proud you are that he's come this far, a photo collage of his childhood, ipod or mp3 player, a weekend away (if you can afford it), a new car (JK!)....

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Movie tickets? Bowling gift certificate, or some other activity he likes to do... and could maybe do with his girlfriend :)

Any books that he'd be interested in and that would be appropriate? Magazine subscription? Does he like any special bath products? Does he have a shaver?

susiestar

Roll With It
Excellent ideas. I am going to write the letter tonight - he has truly come so far as to be, to me, a miracle!

As for stuff for his own home, not sure on that yet. I just don't think he can handle it yet. If we get too far ahead of him he gets scared and does something truly stupid.

I am thinking a new phone with music capabilities. Or an mp3 player that plays movies. But he has a laptop, and a portable dvd player, and several thousand dollars worth of D&D and Magic the Gathering stuff.

I would not have balked at the horror movies he wants except that he loans them to Jessie, and then thank you sees them and has nightmares for weeks/months. Also the ones he specifically asked for ALL have some skewed view of his father and grandparents' religion. Every . Single. One. He KNEW that they would be a problem, and probably included them to test us. I am tempted to get Barney DVDs and relabel them with the names of his horror movies. But I won't.

I really like the other ideas though! Thanks. This is a tough year for me.

DammitJanet

Have you checked the black friday sales yet and asked him if he would wait till then? They have some really good sales this year.

What phone plan is he on? Is he do for an upgrade? I could tell you what a good phone would be for him. Or getting one off ebay is an option. Have done that before too. Walmart is doing a sale where if you get a blackberry, you get a 100 buck gift card! Kmart has these cool little motorcycles that are only like 130 but they are minicycles and they are for teens. They look ridiculous on them but they are fun...lol. They look like they are clowns riding a kids toy but its not for a kid because it would be too fast for a small kid.