Black and White thinking on Islamic parenting from my son

SuZir

LOL...yes, if I didn't know Suz was in another country I'd have thought she lived near the Duggars. The Quiverfull movement is...unusual. Even most of the fundamental of Christian groups generally don't just pop out baby after baby.

I googled up Quiverfull.This sect around here seems to share the same ideas about children being the blessing from God and the need to adhere God's will, though some do accept fertility treatments as similar medical procedures as any other. However our sect here is not especially patriarchal and they tend to be rather pro education and science. Especially women are often highly educated while men more often than average tend to be entrepreneurs. In fact they are not especially old fashioned in other ways. For example computers and internet is just fine with them even though tv is bad (apparently when tv was a new thing their leaders decided it was suspicious and would give wrong influences, so they decided that it was 'unnecessary and could be harmful in robbing too much of your time.' When computers started to become common in households, they had already figured out they would be needed for business, so nothing wrong in those.) They also tend to be active and participating in community and often do not mention their religious leanings in those connections. Every now and then you get surprised when you look the cv of some politician, businessman or scientist and notice they tell they have over ten kids and are from certain areas of the country and realise they are 'one of those people.'

Obviously most of their kids leave the movement when they grow up, otherwise they would already be a majority around here.

pasajes4

:rofl:Sometimes parents do know what is going on, but would rather put their heads in the sand. I have a friend that would brag about her boys (she has 5) would be virgins until they married. The irony was that as she said this #1 son walked in the front door with a young lady and went upstairs with her. Her response was that he was witnessing to her.

TerryJ2

I asked difficult child for the umpteenth time, why H can't go out with-him like a normal person.
She's a HS senior. She's nearly or already is 18. She has a job and driver's license.
He said he talked to her about it (aha! He DOES listen to me!) and she said she thinks that her parents would let them be "friends" but not boyfriend/girlfriend. He would have to be Muslim.

BusynMember

:rofl:Sometimes parents do know what is going on, but would rather put their heads in the sand. I have a friend that would brag about her boys (she has 5) would be virgins until they married. The irony was that as she said this #1 son walked in the front door with a young lady and went upstairs with her. Her response was that he was witnessing to her.
OMG! This almost made me spit out my coffee. Laughing!!! Denial can be funny.
When I came home one day and found Bart and an unknown young woman under the covers in their birthday suits, he tried to claim they were just cuddling. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure. They really think we'll buy anything and sometimes we care so much that we do.