Black Metal/Death Metal music???

F

flutterbee

Janna - Down with the Sickness is played frequently on our local rock station that also plays bands like Breaking Benjamin and Linkin Park (much more tame and mainstream by comparison). Those lyrics are anger, not hate. The song is about childhood abuse. They've also remade Phil Collins' song from the Regan Era called "Land of Confusion" and they have the song "Sacred Lie" which is about the Iraq War and all our "brothers" dying and the end of the war being nowhere in sight. Those two songs are political.

What I consider hate music is any music that degrades a group of people whether it be racial or sexist. Dark lyrics expressing the darker sides of our emotions doesn't equal hate for me. Anger doesn't equal hate.

That being said, I'm not a huge Disturbed fan. I listen to their songs on the radio, but I don't have any of their CD's. Their sound is just too hard for my taste. But I really do like their remake of Phil Collins' song and when I hear the original now, it's just not the same.

Marguerite

Here's an Aussie bad from the 70s and 80s for you (and they're still around) - AC/Difficult Child. They've got songs like "Thunderstruck" (often pinched for car ads) and "High Voltage Rock and Roll". It's loud, screaming stuff with an amazing beat, should appeal to any heavy metal kids. This was the original heavy metal. My kids love it, AND they're into a lot of the stuff you listed.

Plus, and it's a totally weird contrast, my kids are into the techno music you get with Japanese animé films and series. AND they dress up as their favourite characters - really weird. At least they don't dress like Power Rangers!

Marg

stepmonster

We haven't brought up "Screamo and Emo" music too. That's the newer genres.
I showed easy child your list. She said your son will get sick of them in a month.
She recommends:
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
AFI
Blue October
The Audition
I have nothing to contribute exept I too was a metal lover. I would try and go back to the '70's and '80's. How about Zeppelin and Pink Floyd? I know they are not hard metal, but it could be a stall tactic?