Bloating/stomach distention

N

Nomad

My tummy looks ridiculous. It's out to here...................................>
I am bloated....that's blooooooooooooaaaated. My tummy is distended.
Went out with husband last night for our anniversary dinner and someone smiled at us...I think it's possible they thought I was PREGGERS.
HELP HELP HELP
What is good for this?
I am now taking BEANO before meals and I've got an apt. in three weeks for a COLONOSCOPY.
Any other ideas?

:tongue:HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:redface:

eekysign

Augh, if anyone has any good ideas, I'd like to hear them, too. Sitting here at work wishing I could go home, curl up, and die. I don't know what I did wrong, but stomach feels like it's overfull, and I haven't eaten since last night @ 7pm. Ow, ow, ow. What a week! :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nomad is it gas bloated.........or just bloated like retaining water bloated?

Gas bloated, a heating pad can be helpful. Sometimes drinking a warm beverage helps me......like coffee. Moves all that extra air along.

Water bloated.......I haven't found a remedy other than water pills. And sometimes mine is so bad even those don't seem to help. I can change clothing sizes from day to day it's so awful. And often it looks like I'm quite preggers. Gotten to where I have a sense of humor about it now. When someone is bold enough to ask if we're expecting......I like to see the embarrassment when they discover it's just me holding water. lol ;)

Yeah, I know I have a twisted sense of humor.

Hugs

susiestar

Roll With It
I am close to the same boat. I would get gas x and take it following directions on the package. It will help the air bubbles out. No carbonated drinks, peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, etc.... as they make it worse.

If you are not "regular" then increasing the fiber in your diet will help. Frosted mini wheats make a handy slightly sweet snack when eaten dry. Oatmeal or homemade granola is handy.

Use benefiber in food or drinks - you really can't tell it is there. I put a full serving into the spaghetti sauce for each of us (stirred it in each portion separately before I put the sauce on the noodles) and even thank you didn't know it was there.

Miralax can help the system move, making it easier to get any air bubbles trapped in your colon out.

You also may need to ask the doctor for a water pill. I use triamterizine (probably mis spelled) and find it to be gentle and effective.

Drink LOTS of water/non carbonated caffeine free drinks. The more fluid you take in the more you will flush the excess water out. Part of the water retention is the body thinking water is scarce. It holds on to all it can until enough water is in the system. so increasing your water intake can actually help.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I have some too, but it is from one of the medications.

DammitJanet

When my dad had surgery for an aortic aneurysm his intestines shut down and they kept having us give him sips of very warm water to make the gas move along. It seemed to work. I now drink warm water if I get to feeling that icky gassy bloaty feeling.

I have also seen that new product on the market called Align which I am going to try the next time I get those IBS symptoms which in me sometime come with feeling bloated along with other not so nice symptoms.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Gas X is a big favorite around here.
I have a very strong reaction to ice cream. My insides expand to phenomonal size. Needless to say I don't eat it much. It's very painful when your belly is so distended. Gas X and walking to get the air to keep moving.

eekysign

No gas-x or anything here at the office. I did manage to scrounge up some alka-seltzer....which has taken the discomfort down from "ow, ow, I can't help whimpering" to "ugh, feel BAAAAD".

Trying the warm water sips right now....how ya doin', Nomad?

flutterby

Fly away!
My tummy has been doing that lately, too. I've been having to wear nightgowns because nothing else fits and I've lost 19 pounds!

If you have IBS, peppermint oil capsules work well. Make sure it's the capsules. Just the oil can cause kidney damage, besides making you feel really sick. :alien:

Mine was stress. It grew the same night easy child and I had the big fight. I've just had to let it ride it's course. I wish I had better answers.

jal

It can signify a gallbladder issue. I had a co-worker who would balloon up after lunch, no matter what she ate. She had gallstones and they removed the gallbladder.

Nancy

Another vote for Gas X.

Fran ice cream does that to me too, also many other dairy products like cream cheese and sour cream and milk. I can literally watch my stomach grow.

Nancy

susiestar

Roll With It
Fran and others with problems with ice cream - have you tried lactaid? If taken a few minutes before you start eating ice cream it can help tremendously.

There is quite a difference between Walmart's ultra dairy digestive enzyme and lactaid ultra. The walmart version of the ultra, not the regular, is amazing. I have much better results AND I save money on it. It really helps with that bloated icky feeling.

N

Nomad

Yes, I've discovered milk/dairy in general and sugar/esp. the fake kind...to be issues. It's weird, because usually they give me very minor problems...all of a sudden...they are giving me major, over the top problems.

I'm taking PEARLS tablets (priobotics) and over the counter simethicone (sp?) tablets...that are a little stronger than GAS X.

It has really helped...also sat with- a heating pad the other day....all helpful.

Thank you everyone.

eekysign

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Nomad! Hope you figure out something that helps more permanently. :)

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. The sips of warm water (that a few of you suggested) is what finally killed it off, I think. I feel a billion times better today.

LittleDudesMom

Nomad,

My mother had this issue a couple years ago and it ended up being caused by a fairly common stomach bacteria called helicobacter pylori. She ended up taking a course of antibiotics and a strong antacide. It affected her with the bloating and very hard ab/stomach after eating ANYTHING. It was not really related to dairy or any class specific foods.

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I vote for Beano or Tums. I get this issue with dairy, pork, tomatoes and cucumbers - Lactaid works on all of them, but Tums are cheap. Whenever I make spaghetti, I take a Tums beforehand. It actually helps a lot.