Board Abbreviations/Acronyms

Discussion in 'FAQ, Site Help, and Resources' started by Fran, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

ACRONYMS AND ABBREVIATIONS OF DISORDERS

Most Frequently Used Acronyms on the Board:
    * GFG is your Difficult Child - Gift From God

* PC is (are) your Perfect Child(ren)

* DH is your Dear Husband

* DW is your Dear Wife

* SO is your Significant Other

* MIL is your Mother-in-Law

* FIL is your Father-in-law

* BIL is your Brother-in-law

* SIL is your Sister-in-law

* DEX is a Dear EX

* PP are Perfect Parents who make you nuts because they are always bragging about their wonderful lives, children.

* Warrior Mom- What most of us are.

* Warrior Dad- What the others of us are.

* HMJ Hot Mama Juice-given to us by Wildflowers son- Any liquid beverage that gets you through the day. Liquor is optional.

* Rhino skin- Stars gift to the board. It's a snappy and stylish little suit you wear to keep yourself from being thin skinned.

* Rattle Beads Light a candle, Say a prayer, Cross everything - The universal, non-denominational cry for positive thoughts.

* TY is Thank You

* IMO is In My Opinion

* IMHO is In My Humble Opinion

* BTDT is Been There Done That

* LOL is Laughing Out Loud

* ROFL is Rolling On Floor Laughing

* ROFLMAO is ROFL My A** Off

* BTW is By The Way

* NFM is No Further Message

* O/T or OT is Off Topic (non-gfg)

* RTC/RTF is Residential Treatment Center/Facility

* UP is used in a reply when a post has slipped down the page with few replies. By typing "up" in a reply, the post will go to the top of the page again.

REGULARLY USED ABBREVIATION:

DJJ - Department of Juvenile Justice

WNL -within normal limits

NOS -not otherwise specified

SD -school district

P-DR -psychiatrist(M.D)

R/O -rule out

ABBREVIATIONS FOR THE COMMONLY SEEN DISORDERS

ADD/ADHD ~~ Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity Disorder: individuals who have short attention spans because of their inability to concentrate. These individuals also exhibit impulsive actions.

AGORAPHOBIA-an internal anxiety condition that has become so intense that the suffering individual fears going anywhere or doing anything where these feelings of panic have repeatedly occurred before.

ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER-This disorder is characterized by a long-standing disregard of other people's rights, often crossing the line and violating those rights.

ANXIETY ~~ fears that are persistent, overwhelming, and interfere with daily life.

AS ~~ Asperger's Syndrome: is a pervasive developmental disorder characterized by severe and sustaining impairment of social interaction, development of restricted and receptive patterns of behavior, interest or activities. These characteristics result in clinically significant impairment in social, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

AUTISM ~~ difficulties in verbal & nonverbal communication, social interaction and leisure activities. The disorder makes it hard for them to communicate with others and relate to the outside world. In some cases aggressive or self-injurious behaviors may present.

BPD ~~ Borderline Personality Disorder: a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affect with marked impulsivity beginning in early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts.

COBP ~~ Childhood Onset Bipolar Disorder (Manic/Depression): is a serious but treatable brain disorder characterized by extreme changes in mood, energy and behavior. Symptoms can present in early childhood, adolescence or adulthood.

CD ~~ Conduct Disorder: a repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate societal norms or rules are violated.

DAMP ~~ Deficits in Attention, Motor control and Perception: is differentiated from ADHD by deficits in motor control and perception. It is a narrower diagnosis than ADD.

DEPRESSION ~~ involves body, mood and thoughts. It affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one feels about oneself and the way one thinks about things. It is not the same as the passing blues.

MAJOR DEPRESSION/CLINICAL DEPRESSION: combination of symptoms that interfere with the ability to work, study, eat, sleep and enjoy once pleasurable activities. Such disabling episodes may occur once or more commonly several times in a lifetime.

DYSTHYMIA: long-term symptoms of depression that do not disable but prevent one from feeling good or functioning well.

EXECUTIVE FUNCTION DISORDER~~ term used where an affected individual has a problem executing tasks that require order and preparation. That is a function that requires organizational abilities, timing, sequencing, diligence, and attention.

FAE/FAS ~~ Fetal Alcohol Effect/Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: a known or strongly suspected history of maternal use of alcohol....any amount of alcohol is damaging. Characterized by premature birth, low birth weight (remaining small until puberty), distinctive pattern of facial abnormalities (FAS) or not (FAE), some degree of brain damage.

GID ~~ Gender Identity Disorder: a deviation from the normal pattern of exploring masculine and feminine behaviors. They develop an inflexible, compulsive, persistent and stereotypical pattern.

IED ~~ Intermittent Explosive Disorder: characterized by episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses resulting in serious assaults or destruction of property.

LD ~~ Learning Disabilities: people of generally average to above-average intelligence w/great discrepancies between their abilities and specific areas of difficulty, i.e., reasoning, speaking, writing, reading and math.

NVLD ~~ NonVerbal Learning Disorder: reveals itself in impaired abilities to organize the visual-spacial field, adapt to new or novel situations and/or accurately read nonverbal signals.

OCD ~~ Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: excessive worries, doubts, beliefs or superstitions.

ODD ~~ Oppositional Defiance Disorder: persistent disobedience and opposition to authority to figures such as parents, teachers or other adults. However, the basic rights of others are still respected and age-appropriate societal rules and behaviors are not violated. Characterized by negative, hostile and defiant behaviors, generally strongest in the home. Before puberty the disorder is more frequently found in males, after puberty the ratio equals out.

PANDAS ~~ Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder: Associated w/Streptococcal infections...describes a subgroup of children who have either a tic disorder (such as Tourette's) or OCD and whose tics, obsessions and/or compulsions typically worsen dramatically following strep infections or children who have no prior history who suddenly explode in symptoms after a group A strep infection.

PDD ~~ Pervasive Developmental Disorder: usually evident by age three (3). In general, children with PDD have difficulty in talking, playing with other children, and relating to others, including family. Characterized by severe and pervasive impairment in several areas of development ~~ social interaction skills, communication skills, presence of stereotypical behaviors, interests and activities.

PTSD ~~ Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: enduring consequences of traumatic experiences.

RAD ~~ Reactive Attachment Disorder: the inability of a child to attach to a primary caregiver and go through the normal development that children go through in order to function in a relationship.

SCHOOL PHOBIA~~ irrational, persistent fear of going to school...afflicts about 1% of all students at some point in there academic career.

SCHIZOPHRENIA ~~ affects men and women in equal numbers. Is characterized by delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech/thinking, catatonia and negative symptoms (social withdrawal, absence of emotion and expression, reduced energy, motivation and activity).

SCHIZOAFFECTIVE DISORDER~~ Schizoaffective disorder is an illness in which there are both severe mood swings (mania and/or depression), and some of the psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia. Most of the time mania or depression mix with psychotic symptoms, but there must be at least one two-week period in which there are only psychotic symptoms without any symptoms of mania or depression.

SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER-Medical research reveals seasonal affective disorder, the winter blues, and winter worsening are caused by the decreased exposure to sunlight. During the fall and winter months, less light passes through the eyes which inhibits the release of an important brain chemical, serotonin.

SEPARATION ANXIETY~~ developmentally inappropriate and excessive anxiety concerning separation from home or from those with whom the individual is attached.

SID ~~ Sensory Integration Disorder: the inability of the brain to correctly process information brought in by the brain.

TS ~~ Tourette's Syndrome: neurological disorder characterized by tics ~~ involuntary rapid, sudden movements or vocalizations that occur repeatedly in the same way.

by Suz
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  2. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Active Member

Additional ABBREVIATIONS FOR THE COMMONLY SEEN DISORDERS

APD - Auditory Processing Disorders - sometimes used to include CAPD, sometimes used separately - difficulties in processing verbal language in general, or in specific settings such as background noise.

CAPD - Central Auditory Processing Disorder - difficulties processing verbal language - usually a wide spread between non-verbal comprehension and verbal comprehension (reading vs. listening).

DCD - Developmental Coordination Disorder, in some parts of the world still referred to as Developmental Dyspraxia - difficulties in the planning and/or execution of motor skills in the absence of disability - the muscles and limbs "can" but the brain "can't give the right commands". May show as outright disability, or impaired learning of motor skills, or difficulty applying skills in real-time situations. May affect gross motor skills, fine motor skills, or both.

OCPD - Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder - related to OCD but different
  3. DS3

DS3 New Member

EFMP: Exceptional Family Member Program. This is offered through the military for those on Active Duty and is a basic record of what is going on with your GFG. Support meetings and great information regarding different conditions can be found through this source. The information will also make it so that you do not get stationed where there are not appropriate services available for your GFG when it comes time to move. Have the enlisted member contact EFMP for more information, or check on military one source.

ECHO: This is an extension of benefits that normal Tri-Care does not cover. There is a charge for this based on military pay grade. You must qualify to be put on ECHO. The only way to receive ECHO is to have GFG already on the EFMP program (plus some documentation). ECHO offers different therapies (like ABA) that aren't normally covered. You can also get respite care for a certain amount of hours per month through the ECHO program. Respite care is offered, but not guarenteed. (Please note that there is a totally different packet that is needed which you will have to fill out for Respite care. Check with the EFMP director.)
  4. southermama3

southermama3 New Member

GFG?
    I don't have a computer and I use my iPhone and pad to talk online. I keep seeing this in posts and I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance =^}
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. buddy

buddy New Member

Gift from God. It is the board's way to lovingly describe our very challenging kiddos.

When you see an underline like this: GFG phosp tdoc put your cursor on the word and you will see a question mark and then the definition.
  6. southermama3

southermama3 New Member

Ok thank u. I feel a lil dumb
  7. buddy

buddy New Member

UMMMM.... hate to tell you, but as special as I am SURE you are... in this case, I think most of us start out "dumb" here and I asked tons of questions... so now next time YOU get to pass the info on... see how fun that is??? LOL
  8. southermama3

southermama3 New Member

I have to admit: I have been reading posts on my phone and referring to this thread to understand what y'all are saying lol shhhhh(=^}
  9. somerset

somerset Member

What is DJJ?
  10. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Guest

Department of Juvenile Justice - I'll add it to the acronym list.
  11. InsaneCdn

InsaneCdn Active Member

It varies between forums on the board - and any member can opt for their own label instead of the default one. So it's really just a fun interpretation of the "numbers", as TeDo says.
  12. dstc_99

dstc_99 Active Member

AH! I was beginning to feel like an idiot. Oh wait I feel like that all the time when trying to figure out acronyms. Of course I do work for the military and their acronym list makes your head spin. LOL
  13. kennedyland

kennedyland New Member

Please use actual words rather than abbreviations and acronyms. It makes for more effective writing, and people don't have to stop the flow of an idea as they try to figure out what those letters mean. Thanks.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Echolette

Echolette Well-Known Member

Ah, I just found the abbreviation list. Some of which made me laugh!!