Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize for Literature

Malika

Just wondering what people feel about the rather surprising decision of the Nobel committee to award the literature prize to Bob Dylan.... the times they are a-changing? :) I feel it is rather odd - on the other hand, why not?

AppleCori

Hey Malika,

I really enjoy off-topic threads and wish there were more like this.

I have to admit, though, that I am not really a movie or music type of person, so I don't really have a strong opinion either way on this question.

Maybe someone will come along with a better answer!

Apple

donna723

I guess I'm more from the "Dylan era" than some of you younger ones, but Bob Dylan was much more than just a recording artist. Dylan became the voice and the conscience of our whole generation during those turbulent days of the Civil Rights struggles and the horrors of the war in Vietnam. His music was haunting and wonderous, his lyrics were brilliant. And he was much more prolific than many realize. Dozens of songs made famous by others were actually written by Bob Dylan.

pasajes4

Dylan is the J. D. Salinger of the music world
I agree. He gave a generation a voice and it made a difference. This why he was chosen. The recipient must have made a positive difference with their works. This song could be an eternal anthem. The times they are always changing.

donna723

I can't get the link to copy but just for fun. Google the Traveling Wilburys. It was a very low keyed "super group" just for fun, made up of Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, and Kenny Lynne from ELO. They made some FANTASTIC music together! I especially love the song, "End Of The Line". And in this one, while the others are playing, it shows a rocking chair with a guitar in it, a tribute to Roy Orbison who had just passed away before the song was recorded.