BOB record

Abbey

Spork Queen
We have this little contest at work called a BOB. Bottom of the basket. (Theft / absentmindedness prevention) We have two carts out of hundreds that do not have a bottom. If you spot it, you notify a manager and he/she marks it off. At the end of the week, your name goes in a drawing and whoever they draw out wins $50.

Some people have been there over a year and have never noticed a BOB. I usually get 2 or 3 a day.

So today, I already had 4. I was feeling pretty good. Then...they sent a bagger on a trash run through all 14 registers. He starts at register 14 and slowly works his way down to lane 1, which I was on. I saw him walk in with the BOB. My manager was standing there chatting with me and I said, "Bill...watch Jason. He's on aisle 14 doing a trash run with a BOB. (Even Jason didn't realize it.) Let's watch and see how many of the other 13 checkers and 13 baggers catch the BOB." Fast forward to my lane. I asked Jason how many caught the BOB. What BOB? Look under your basket, dork. My manager just died laughing. Not one of 26 employees caught it. So, he gave me 26 BOBs to add to my other four!!:irock:

I have a feeling this is going to be brought up in our weekly meeting, probably not in a positive way for the checkers who were on duty. Oops...my bad. ;) To top it off, our meeting yesterday was completely about the importance of spotting a BOB. Oh, this is going to go over REAL well.:rofl:

Abbey

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Tough cookies for the rest of them, I say! Hope you win the $50 hands down and if they're still whiny, buy them off with a couple dozen doughnuts in the breakroom. They can't complain if their mouths are stuffed with maple bars...

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
You DO rock, Abbey.

I'll have red to go with the nachos you are ordering for us.

Suz :wine:

meowbunny

They really need to change the name. It's still my faithful battery operated boy friend to me. And I'm trying to figure out how having no bottom makes it easier to steal. It just means you can't load stuff down there to me. I'm so confused.

But congrats. If you don't win, it should be a small miracle and, yes, I'd get some donuts for the break room. And nachos need beer!

klmno

MB, I'm with you about not understanding how having no bottom makes it easier to steal. It seems like it would make it harder to me and easier to lose things. But, your BOB description was way more information than I needed to know! LOL!

trinityroyal

I suspect that the BOB is to train your eye to look for details.

If a customer can walk through your aisle and you don't notice that the basket has no bottom, then you're equally likely not to notice that the basket HAS a bottom and that it's filled with merchandise that hasn't been paid for.

So it's more for training the eyes of the staff than for helping customers to shoplift.

And MB, this makes me think of bobbing for apples in an entirely new light. Thanks for the education :tongue:

Trinity

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I had to read your post THREE times to understand what the heck you were looking for...hahaha. I kept thinking of an old joke where the punchline is "BOB". I am slow this morning...or it's early?

Congrats on your eagle eyes - I hope you win the $50!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Trinitiy, that's it. You could be like me and forget the large pack of sodas or TP, or you could be unfortunately like others that try to sneak out with stuff on the bottom of the basket unnoticed. So, it's kind of a game to train you to be aware of the bottom of the cart. It's hard to see when you are checking. We have mirrors in most lanes, but most times you have to peek over the belt to see.

Last year my company (14 stores) lost an estimated 5 million to BOB's. They really do look at video and add it up. I have radar eyes. ;)

Abbey