*Bonded leather?---no, this is not a thread about sex*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:rofl:

I have a small den. In my small den is a large, medium brown leather sleeper sofa and a matching loveseat. The loveseat was pretty much destroyed by Chloe when she was a baby and thought it was one big rawhide bone, there for her delight.

NOT.

I'm getting the seats of the sofa recovered so that the frame, arms and back will still be leather and the cushions will have a brown fabric background with a black pattern sewn in. It's hard to describe. I figured that I could never match the sofa with a chair so I'm going with a black chair since it will go well with the pattern on the new cushions.

I started looking at leather chairs this afternoon. :faint:

I did find a small "bonded leather" recliner at Pier One. Has anyone ever gotten any furniture made from bonded leather...and/or any furniture from Pier One? I looked it up on the Internet and bonded leather is made up of 17% leather scraps, plus polyurethane (plastic). I like how easy leather is to clean when you're dealing with dogs (I'm not brave like Donna and her white furniture in this room). It seems to have pretty good reviews on the web but I'm looking for some first hand experience from those who've lived with it.

Thanks!
Suz

donna723

I'm not even sure what "bonded leather" is! Is it thin pieces of leather glued somehow to fabric?

I was trying to weigh the toe nail damage and possible chewing to a leather sofa vs. having them goober up a fabric sofa. At least with the fabric, I won't be out quite so much money if they mess it up. I think what you're talking doing about with the cushions would be a very good solution - sounds nice.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Donna, to look at it you'd think it was leather. It's a really good fake. They don't call it fake because there are leather fibers but it's not leather *hide* like real leather.

Suz

Lothlorien

I have leather.....especially after said doggie had bad bladder issue all over my fabric sofa. The leather is good with the dog and the kids, but bonded leather sounds like an even better solution. The leather I have is soft, good, but soft. I have noticed a few scratches already. They could be from the dog or the kids. Leather mixed with some kind of pleather....yeeha! That would totally work in my house!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Not too sure about the bonded leather. Is it comfortable to sit on? Will you stick to it in summer? Will it be cold to sit on in winter? does it require special cleanser to clean up a spot or stain?

I have heard mixed reviews about Pier One. A college roommate moved in with her boyfriend after our lease was up. His parents gave HER a complete living room, dining room and bedroom set from Pier One. Most of it was okay, but overpriced. The white wicker she insisted upon was a HUGE mistake. It snagged clothing, esp nylons, it broke, pieces would break and stick up and then impale you. Then you couldn't get the blood off if it dripped at all, because you couldn't get into all the layers of the wicker. This all started the first week they had it.

Lately our BigLots had a group of Pier One furniture. It was awesome. Seemed very well made. I lusted after a table, but at 75% off it was still over $200.

I would buy furniture from Pier One if it fit what I needed, was comfortable and was NOT wicker. Hope that helps.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Loth, I'm also a firm believer in leather if you have dogs or kids. I don't care about the scratches. I figure the cow could have scratched himself so I pretend it's aged. lol.

Molly and Chelsea peed (hey, they were old) and puked on this stuff and it was a snap to clean. I hate getting fabric cushion covers for the couch but I'm hoping that it will buy me a couple more years before I have to replace it.

Susie, I could get a chair for less but the recliner seems pretty much in line cost-wise with other stores I went to today. Plus, the size is right. I have always liked the feel of leather and this feels the same from what I can tell.

Suz

witzend

According to Wikipedia, it is essentially polyurethane with no more than 17% leather content, or stamped vinyl.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hi Witz,

Yes, that's what I found when I did the Internet search. I looks like leather and feels pretty much like leather. I guess I was hoping someone owns a chair or couch made of it and could tell me how it wears. Since no one has responded that they have a piece or two, it seems unlikely.

Suz

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sorry I was so late in on this. Bonded leather wears like plastic, which is basically what it is made of. It is cheaper for a reason.

I've had a recliner made of it as well as a couple of pairs of shoes. It tends to crack at wear points and to fade in a patchy way.

in my opinion, it does not hold up in any way close to leather and I would not consider owning another product made of it.

Okay, I lied. The cover for my Kindle e-book reader is made of bonded leather and for that use it seems to be fine.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Suz, your title got me a bit excited ~ do you think I've been alone too long?

I've not heard of bonded leather - hope it works for you.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Linda, you devil you. I hear ya! :D

GN, I'm disappointed but not surprised by what you said about it's wear. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Suz

witzend

Keep your eyes open for those sales, Suz. I can't justify a new living room set, and the one I have is leather so it's wearing like crazy. It will be totally out of style before I am able to give in and get something else. It's worth the extra price. I would be careful to not buy anything that is either too trendy or too nearly out of style. In ten years it will have worn great but will scream "2009!"

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Good advice, Witz. I usually buy traditional stuff for larger purchases and go trendy with accessories. Heck, I've had my LR couch and matching chair since 1982 and they've never gone out of style because I change the decorator pillows, and room decor with the times.

What I'm finding difficult now is how huge most chairs are these days. My LR is good sized but my den is pretty tight so I'm looking for a small, trim, recliner or a comfy club chair. It has to have a wide enough top for Chloe to lie on while she looks out the window waiting for me. :) Pier One is the only place so far to have the shape I'm looking for. I think one of their chairs is real leather so maybe I'll take another look at it and an ottoman.

Thanks.

Suz

Last edited:

witzend

I know what you mean about the size. I think those "double size" chairs are really attractive when you use them as a small sofa with a smaller accent chair with an ottoman. I think when your kids are gone you don't really need the huge sofa anymore... I use what they call a "Parker Chair" in the sitting area of our bedroom and it's really attractive and doesn't take up a lot of room. Here's a link to a photo.

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/pfl-...e&utm_campaign=google_base&CAWELAID=229293988

There's a place in town that is sort of a clearing house that I was able to buy mine from for around $200.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Suz, I have the same problem with modern day chairs and coffee tables and other occasional furniture.

I live alone in a small single-wide mobile home. Most of today's stuff won't even go through the door, let alone be able to fit comfortably in the living room or office.

It's not bad looking stuff, nor is it of low quality, but it literally won't fit my place.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Witz, I sat in a similar chair yesterday and thought it was very attractive and comfortable. I'll bet it looks great in your room. The down side for us is that I kept picturing Chloe trying to get on top of the chair to look outside and the back, acting like a slingshot, whirling her across the room. lol

They have a category called "apartment sized" furniture. That seems to be what I need to look for- might work for you too, GN.

Suz

witzend

I kept picturing Chloe trying to get on top of the chair to look outside and the back, acting like a slingshot, whirling her across the room.

It doesn't actually spin, Suz! It just looks like it should!

DammitJanet

Suz...have you ever actually tried walking through Big Lots? I know it sounds like a place that wouldnt have anything but they do carry furniture. Sometimes they carry name brands that are a year or two out of date but good quality. They have a sleigh bed that I am drooling over that is real wood in cherry...slobber slobber. I chose Ohio...lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sure, I go to Big Lots. I haven't seen anything like that recently, though. I'll keep looking!

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Suz,

This may/may not help you but why don't you call someone who actually recovers furniture and ask them about bonded leather. DF works with hides and real leather and has for years. We've no experience with bonded leather, but if I were going to invest in furniture I would want to talk to someone first who works in recovering furniture and/or deals with the material itself. They may even be able to get you reduced costs on different grades of hides to recover your existing furniture if it's not the size that you are worried about.

Just a thought. (Probably could throw in some accessories too - not saying WHAT - but just sayin') :tongue: