Book recomendation: Beautiful Boy - A Fathers Journey Through His Son's Addiction by

This is a good book. My own difficult child, ODD, violent-not a drug addict but was extreme in an equally horrific manner.

I chose to not subject myself or my other kids to his behavior, and I got a restraining order about 2 years ago. husband was on board with this, but kept in contact- strange, dysfunctional nonsense that I commended myself for not being a part of. Although difficult child is going great by difficult child standards, he works and supports himself (the main goal ), the RO was removed, but my family is screwed up from me doing this. My relationship with husband will never be the same, he has not waivered in his feelings about how I "handled" difficult child (I didn't talk to him, husband did). At the time I did what I thought was right. But NOW he is the only one who has a relationship with difficult child. Things aren't good between difficult child and myself, my other kids are older now-(14 and 16), they think I stole their brother from them, not in those exact words, but I guess they forget what was going on. Their feelings are valid too. Reading this book really articulates what happens to the family. At the moment difficult child is out with easy child and husband, so I guess things could be worse, but I just wish everything was fine. He's my son.-Alyssa

secretly sad

secretly sad
This book is written by David Sheff, I just finished it, it was painful to read , I had to put it down frequently and resume later, but it helped me, it actually brought me back to this site as I need support, I was last here 2 yrs ago.

DDD

I think Mikey also recommended it. It's on my list...for when I'm in the "right place" to read it. Thanks for sharing. DDD

I read it also. I like it. I did cry at times. My son was not a meth addict but I am sure he tried it. It just brings back the whole painful addiction thing. I thought the story was very realistic and the Dad seems to have the same emotions that most of us have about his son. Now I want to read the one by his son (the addict) called TWEAK by Nic Sheff.

Nancy

Oprah is having the author on her show in the near future. I am taking her on line class with Eckart Tolle and she just mentioned this book and how difficult it is to live with a family member who is addicted to drugs.

Nancy