Book Recommendation-"Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children"

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I just wanted to recommend a book I found and read recently: "Setting Boundaries With Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents." I've not seen it mentioned here before so thought I'd share.

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Bound...kCode=wsw&tag=condudisor08-20&creative=391881

I found this book very helpful, with solid advice and lots of affirmation when it comes to having to say "no" to our adult children who seem bent on self-destruction. I like that it has many real-life anecdotes, including the author's opening story of being in her son's apartment after the SWAT team stormed it and arrested her son. What a way to start a book; it got my attention.

I will point out that it is written from a Christian perspective (it quotes the Cloud/Townsend book often), and if that bothers you it may not be for you, but the "tough love" principles are solid and apply no matter what your beliefs.

N

Nomad

I bought it in March of last year and did briefly mention it.
Also thought it was great, although the Cloud book is one of my favorites.
I have the little mini book of his (same thing...just condensed) to keep in my purse.
The Christian perspective is not for everyone.
So glad that you like it and find it helpful!
Sometimes...we just don't get all the answers. Just have to do our best. Gather the wisdom from those who have come before us.
Strengthen ourselves...be kind....not only to others but to ourselves and move forward.
Sending good thoughts your way.

MrsMcNear50

Thanks Crazy. I'll be calling the library tomorrow to get it. I'm feeling pretty strong these days, no crisises that I know of, but will always need all the positive reinforcements I can get.

Blessings,

Julie

Boundaries

"Setting Boundaries with your adult children" is a GREAT book. I read it because I have a Step difficult child who is addicted to drugs. I am not able to use this book. My husband is now reading it. Maybe he will use it with his difficult child.

Last edited:

maxeygirls

I wonder how well this book would work for my mother in law? She pretty much allows everyone to take advantage of her desire to help with her grandkids and because of it, her own mood disorders have become worse to the point of a near breakdown.