Book Recommendations.

DazedandConfused

I'm currently taking a college level critical thinking course.

I won't go into too many details, other than I am having to research obesity in America and how to best address the problem. So, I've been doing a ton of reading on the subject-lots of studies, books, and points of view. Of course, this is also a personal issue of which I have struggled mightily, so I have found much of what I have read personally enlightening.

Anyway, one of the books I want to recommend is: The end of overeating. Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite by David A. Kessler, MD.

If you remember, he was the director of the FDA under Clinton and Bush. It does delve into a lot of research and specifically how the brain responds to "salient cues" and how over time we can become "conditioned hypereaters" of "highly palatable foods". It's absent of "medicalese" and Kessler shares his own food and weight struggles. This book came out a few months ago and it a good read for anyone struggling with overeating and weight.

He also has suggestions on how people can counter the brain cues that drive many to overeat. Especially, when those cues compel people to eat past of the point of satiation.

Another recommendation is: The Fattening of America-How the Economy Makes Us Fat, If It Matters, and What to do About it by Eric A Finkelstein and Laurie Zuckerman

I didn't "like" this book as much as Kessler's, but it still worth reading. It reveals the economics of why America eats what it eats and why. This is more about obesity as a national health crisis than how individuals can win the battle of the bulge, but insightful nonetheless.

Knowledge is power. :peaceful:

DazedandConfused

I have to again reiterate just how good the David Kessler book is. See if your library has it. If not, it is worth purchasing. It turned on a light bulb for me regarding the monumental struggle I have with resisting certain foods for decades.

For instance: Cookies. Especially chocolate chip and lemon icing.
Chocolate. Especially Mn'Ms.
Doritos

If those things are in my house it is like have a homing device implanted in my kitchen that sends powerful signals to my brain (I know, sounds like a 50s SiFi movie) and how the battle goes on in my head over whether to eat them (which, of course, I always do).

He explains the science of how and why some of us respond to certain foods that way. He also lifts the veil on big corporate food companies and restaurants with their "food scientists" and "trend analysts" to create "irresistible desire" for their products. It changed the way I view processed foods and eating out forever.

Here's the website to check out.

http://www.theendofovereatingbook.com

I don't usually push and promote a book, but this one is a must read for anyone that has struggled with overeating.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks for sharing this info -- I'm going to check it out.

My mom has attempted recently to secretly influence my dad's eating habits since his health has deteriorated so much and he was at one point about 150 pounds overweight and it was really contributing to his health decline (congestive heart failure).

Her technique was very simple. She bought new dishes that had a very large patterned border, and made a point of only putting his food in the center of the plate so that his eye looked at it and was essentially tricked into thinking there was more on the plate because of the pattern. So far, it has worked (because he has not complained one bit about the smaller portions -- and this guy would fight you tooth and nail if he thought for a second you were trying to "control" what he's eating) and that, combined with him finally sticking to his medication regimine, he has dropped over 50 pounds since May of this year.

M

ML

I wish I had time to read books. I am very interested in this subject though. Manster, always slightly pudgy has been truly overweight for the past 2 years. Even when he was in a high chair I remember his appetite. I asked the doctor "how much food should a 12 month old eat" so I would know when to stop feeding him. The doctor said he would stop opening his mouth when he had enough but HE NEVER DID. I would just cut him off and say "I think you've had enough".

This has been probably the hardest part of parenting. No matter what I do it seems wrong. I sometimes have to physically usher him out of the kitchen when he's between meals looking for "something". I'm just waiting until he's old enough to go to OA because this , and him are bigger than I am.

N

Nomad

Thank you very much for these book recommendations!

I recall a book called Mindless Eating that I bought that I thought was very good...these seem similarly fascinating and helpful.