Book - We've Got Issues

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Lothlorien, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

I subscribe to a book review website. Rarely do I find anything interesting on it, but this one caught my eye, so I though I'd share.

2. klmno

klmno Active Member

Interesting! I admit though, I chuckled when I saw the thread title and was thinking the book could be a compilation of posts from this bboard.

3. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

Whew, it gives me some comfort to see someone who writes what we felt. I decided to ignore the rhetoric of the unknowledgeable or fear mongers about medications and look to see what my children needed. Blocking out the drama and doing the research to help your child to manage better is the best I could do to parent my child.
    I hope this book reaches many and helps reduce the stigma and pressure on parents.
    I doubt my difficult child noticed the controversy but it required a great deal of gumption on our part to do what's right for difficult child and not be influenced by those with
    different agenda's.

Now, building on that the education system needs total revampment in my humble opinion. To not incorporate the large numbers of learning different students, it does many of our kids a
    grave injustice. The perception that "how we(teaching dogma) are is good enough" is not true anymore. Or the educational system wants no outside input on how to educate unique students leaves many of our kids in marginal programs. It is to the point where education and medicine/psychiatry/psychology and other teams must be entwined to educate each child regardless if they fit the mainstream or not. It's time for the mainstream to alter it's self perception and include more differently abled students. I'll get off my soapbox now. : )
    Thanks Loth.

4. Shari

Shari IsItFridayYet?

I saw this book a while back and I can't wait to read it.

5. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

I bought it and am reading it now. I HIGHLY recommend it, and I think it's a great book to give to people who are either new to this whole game of life with a difficult child AND/OR anyone in your life who either doesn't understand or thinks they have all the answers about treating difficult child's.

6. klmno

klmno Active Member

Good idea- but how do you make them read it?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Oh, maybe wrap it in some pretty paper with a big bow and say "Here, I think you'll enjoy reading this!" And leave it at that.

8. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

9. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

I'm in the middle of reading the book, too, and think it's very well-written. Judith Warner definitely gets "our" kids and us parents as well.

10. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

What I really think is commendable about Warner is that she had the guts to admit she was wrong during her research phase and rather than write the book to fit her preconceived ideas, she wrote it to fit with the reality that her research revealed.

11. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

I completely agree . . .