Book ?

Discussion in 'Substance Abuse' started by seekinghope, Jul 15, 2008.

1. seekinghope

seekinghope New Member

I just went to the library and ordered the explosive child. I was wondering if anyone has a good book regarding the manipulative teen and drug abuse?
    Thank you,
    seekinghope

2. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

Go to any Barnes and Nobel (or any bookstore) and ask for the section for "recovery/addiction." You'll find a variety of books there. Or you can just go to the library. Unfortunately, as the mom of an ex-addict, I don't think books help the child, but they can help the parents deal with our pain. You ever think of going to Al-Anon? That can be really helpful. Good luck.

3. seekinghope

seekinghope New Member

I live real rural our library has very little, but If I know of a name and author they can order it for me.
    I went to Borders but did not see any area for addition but I will ask about it the next time I go.
    Thank for the info.

seekinghope

4. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

We only have one bookstore out here, but they do have a small "addiction" section. You can google up books too. Just put "books on addiction" in your search engine and you'll come up with a ton!!! Good luck, hon.

5. seekinghope

seekinghope New Member

Thanks, will do.......

6. trinityroyal

trinityroyal Well-Known Member

In one of the other forums (General, I think), Adrianne mentioned a book called The Manipulative Child.

I wonder if you might find that book helpful as well.

Just a thought,
    Trinity

7. seekinghope

seekinghope New Member

Thanks, I'll do a search.

8. Allan-Matlem

Allan-Matlem Active Member

Hi,

I recommend Unhappy Teenagers by William Glasser

I believe it applies to all ages. The message is that your only influence is a good relationship where he feels understood and sees you as a help. problem solving focuses on both yours and his concerns , by talking and chatting with him like you would with a friend or your neighbours 25 yo child he will start to see you as a person who also has needs. it is a process that he needs to learn to trust , that cooperation is the way , win-win , not win-lose.
    I think Byron Katie is helpful in a liberating way , getting rid of our fears and emotional baggage and related suffering so we can relate to our child in creative ways and lots of patience. Not easy
    Allan

9. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

Beautiful Boy - A Fathers Journey Through His Son's Addiction This book is written by David Sheff