Borderline PD - An Emotional Hair Trigger, Often Misread

flutterby

Fly away!
Rather, affected individuals seem to be born with a quick and unduly sensitive emotional trigger. The condition appears to have both genetic and environmental underpinnings. Brain studies have indicated that the emotional center of the nervous system the amygdala may be overly reactive, while the part that reins in emotional reactions may be underactive.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
This describes my sister in law#2 to a T, with the exception of the self harm aspect, which I don't believe has ever been an issue.

husband had these issues until he started on a MS, which has had a huge impact on his emotional reactivity.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Oldest has every single symptom/sign of Borderline (BPD) except the self-harming behavior. She sometimes gives veiled, manipulative threats of self-harm, but has never acted on them overtly (unless the total lack of attention to her chronic health problems counts). I really hope one day she'll get help.. but in the meantime, reading things like this does help me in trying to understand her. Thanks.

DammitJanet

I have had most of the signs, including self harming, throughout my life. I have mellowed with age. Now I can have professionals argue about if I am truly borderline. I argue to keep the diagnosis. I dont think I can outgrow it. I think I have learned to manage it. Even though I didnt learn I had it until I probably was on the tail end of my worst symptoms, I can look back and see it oh so clearly.

flutterby

Fly away!
Thanks, Cheryl, for fixing the link. I didn't realize it required you to register. It didn't require me to login, but I think I may be permanently signed into NYT.