Borderline PD - An Emotional Hair Trigger, Often Misread

Discussion in 'Parenting News' started by flutterby, Sep 19, 2009.

1. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

http://kasp.org/Documents/borderline.pdf

2. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

This describes my sister in law#2 to a T, with the exception of the self harm aspect, which I don't believe has ever been an issue.

husband had these issues until he started on a MS, which has had a huge impact on his emotional reactivity.

3. CrazyinVA

CrazyinVA Well-Known Member Staff Member

Oldest has every single symptom/sign of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) except the self-harming behavior. She sometimes gives veiled, manipulative threats of self-harm, but has never acted on them overtly (unless the total lack of attention to her chronic health problems counts). I really hope one day she'll get help.. but in the meantime, reading things like this does help me in trying to understand her. Thanks.

4. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have had most of the signs, including self harming, throughout my life. I have mellowed with age. Now I can have professionals argue about if I am truly borderline. I argue to keep the diagnosis. I dont think I can outgrow it. I think I have learned to manage it. Even though I didnt learn I had it until I probably was on the tail end of my worst symptoms, I can look back and see it oh so clearly.

5. flutterby

flutterby Fly away!

Thanks, Cheryl, for fixing the link. I didn't realize it required you to register. It didn't require me to login, but I think I may be permanently signed into NYT.