Boy Scouts

JJJ

Tigger loved cub scouts and really liked boy scouts until it became clear that he couldn't do so many of the activities (they required reading or other academic skills that he just didn't have). We tried just doing the social parts and not the badges (his leader was amazing in allowing and even encouraging Tigger to do whatever he could without any attempt to force him to do things he couldn't). This fall his troop merged with another small troop. We went to the first 'joint' meeting but it was clear that the troop was too big now for Tigger to feel comfortable.

We have now taken a couple of month break from scouts and I realize that he really is missing out by not being able to do things like that. He doesn't ask about going but every so often I hear him talk about 'being a scout' with pride that he was a part of it.

I'm going to start a special needs troop. I need to find 2-4 other boys at Tigger's relative functioning level. I hope to have either our church or our local autism family center 'sponsor' our troop. I'm thinking of making it more of a family thing with each family providing a 'leader' to help things go well. Then as the boys get comfortable with the adults and the adults with the boys, we can adjust 'staffing' based on needs and allow more independence.

I think Tigger's old scout leader would agree to mentor me and his son will likely be willing to be a 'peer mentor' to the younger boys. Wish me luck...

KateM

Great idea! My son is now an assistant scout master of the troop that helped him so much. He has so much pride in that he became an Eagle Scout; it is part of his identity. Scouting has been terrific for him socially and in building his self-esteem. That said, I have to attribute part of my son's success in scouting to my hubby. He became involved in scouting as soon as my son did and helped difficult child monitor his behavior at troop functions when he was younger. Parental involvement is key in making scouting a great experience for difficult children.

susiestar

Roll With It
What a wonderful idea. I am sure that these are needed in more place than one. thank you quit scouts because two of the boys kept ganging up on him. One was the leader's son and she did everything she could to stop it but was unsuccessful. She even made him sit out quite a few meetings. cam

As you set this up, be sure to look at universities in your area for a fraternity called Alpha Phi Omega. It is a national, co-ed service fraternity that focuses on doing volunteer work in three areas - the brotherhood, the community and scouting. They will be able to help with many things if there is an active chapter anywhere near you. When I was in college we did all kinds of things with scouts - running camps, badge days, helping campers plan camping trips, leading troops, even filling in for leaders who were sick, on maternity or otherwise unable to do things. TExas has several esp large chapters, but they are at universities all over the world. They do NOT have houses - the national chapter refuses to permit chapters to own property as it helps to cut down on drinking and other problems that can be hidden in frat houses. Some areas have an offshoot that is not exactly affiliated. Some women do not like the co-ed group and have opened their own version called Omega Phi Alpha. Similar purpose and bylaws, but only women.

Either group can be a HUGE help to a troop leader and every other level of scouting. If you can get into contact they may even be able to help you locate scouts who were not served by other troops. They can also be extra hands if you have parents who cannot be at meetings.

Often the local and regional councils have not heard of this - though I don't know why. If the council is unaware it doesn't mean that they are not active.

svengandhi

My council has a terrific special needs program. You should contact your council to see if they have one. If they do, they might be able to give you a volunteer ASM to help out with for awhile or you could look into any troops that are nearby. One little known fact about Boy Scouts is that special needs kids who are documented may be able to get an extension till age 21 to complete their Eagle Scout badge but the request has to be made before he is 18.

Good luck.

H

HaoZi

Good luck! Kiddo decided she was done with scouts for good right after I paid her annual dues, bought her vest and our shirts for the parade.