Bras at a yard sale?

TerryJ2

So what's the deal with-selling bras at a yard sale?

There were 3 yard sales in our neighborhood this a.m. I walked the dogs and got an up-close and personal look at them. Not that I intended to, but hey, it's outside. So, one of the yards had a lot of clothes. And a big quilt with-lingerie all over it. Probably C or D-cup underwire, Victoria's Secret style bras, lime green, hot pink, blue, white, floral ... They're probaby fine, but uh, I, well, I would never put my lingerie on the lawn for sale, and I wouldn't buy anyone else's. That's the kind of thing I'd share with-a daughter, Know what I mean?? So, apparently this lady doesn't have a daughter. And I realize these bras are expensive. But wth?

I guess I just live in a cave and I have to get out more.

P.S. I didn't see any customers.
P.P.S. Even if I weren't so squeamish, they were way too big for me. I mean, the grass would be taller than the cups ... ;)

Last edited:

klmno

LOL! Well, I wouldn't buy one at a garage sale but I guess it could be worse. They are getting rather expensive to buy new though. I just wear old ones. LOL!

H

HaoZi

Maybe they were gifts or she bought them and they didn't fit right. I've got a number that I bought that according to the tag are my size, but once I get it home it simply won't work. I have a few running around like that, never seen more wear than a try-on but can't return them.

TerryJ2

Hmm. Maybe I can get a short story idea out of it.

I wrote one a few yrs back that was sort of a Twilight Zone episode, based on a neighbor who so overplanted her yard that no one knew there was a house there.

What to write about bras at a yard sale ...

"Sandy sipped her morning coffee and checked off items on her list. Vacuum livingroom. Check. Pay bills. Check. Kill cheating husband and his girlfriend. Check. Bury them in the backyard. Check. Try on all of girlfriend's bras. Kick more dirt on her grave. Check. Sell them at a yard sale. Check."

TerryJ2

OMG! Lol!
I like this part:
Q: Does this help American families?
A: Yes. The United States postal Service employs nearly two million people. These numbers are going down drasticly because of increased e-mail use. This junk mail program signifigantly increases USPS income generation, which allows the government to employ more people. We at Dear Bulk Mailer are pro-family, pro-jobs, and pro-America.​
:money::bigsmile:

DazedandConfused

Years and years ago, the elementary school Daughter attended was going to have a big yard sale/rummage type event. Families and teachers were invited to donate usable and gently used items. There was one teacher, very prissy and a bit of an elitist (wrong school for that, but anyway, she works elsewhere now), who handed off a box to one of the parent volunteers. She opens it and it was a box FULL of used

panties:faint::faint:.

THAT supplied quite a few weeks of biting gossip in her honor.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I don't see anything particularly wrong with selling gently used bras, really. If she had so many, maybe she barely ever wore them? You can launder them...ummm....but panties?! Those are way up high on my ew factor! That's just GROSS!

susiestar

Roll With It
YUCK. Something about garage sale bras is just icky to me. I have long been called the queen of garage sales by my family and have almosts NEVER seen bras or undies at a yard sale. Once in a while maybe training pants that were never used (the plastic kind that used to be used for potty training) or something like that, but not even that very often!

Marguerite

Bras are no worse than other upper body clothing, especially t-shirts previously worn by teen males.

As for fundraising experiences - we were asking people for goods to put into a hamper, and one woman turned up with, among other things, a box of tea bags. The organiser said, "These tea bags have been opened, the cellophane is missing. They won't be fresh."
The donor said, "Oh, they're fine, they're very fresh. That tea is a really delicious brand, I can highly recommend it. I only used them once each and I dried them all carefully afterwards."

bleah!

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I've seen both bras and panties for sale at yard sales. I don't buy either at them. I have on occasion bought children's undies still in the package though.........and those expensive terry cloth training pants of old. (bleach them baby's and no worries lol)

My girls have sold a bra or two, maybe more. IF they still have the tags on them. Never panties, even new

LOL over the tea bags Marg! I spewed my coffee while reading it. LOL

TerryJ2

OMG, Marg. LOL!

I see the point about bras being like tshirts. It's the concept that gets me.
And I didn't look closely enough to check for underwear/panties. I had the dogs with-me, after all ...

M

ML

How funny. Guess what I bought at a garage sale yesterday! It didn't look like it had ever been worn and would have likely cost over $20 and I got it for .50. I'm kind of a cheapskate lol. But even I wouldn't buy panties. Ugh.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I can see gently used bras being sold at a yard sale. I don't think it's legal, though to sell used panties -- health code violations, etc.

IF I found a gently used bra in my size (and that's a really big if, considering my cup size is in the MIDDLE of the alphabet) at a yard sale, I would not hesitate to buy it because of how expensive they are to buy, much less find in a retail store.

Star*

call 911........call 911
TRUST me......when you are 44DDD - and you find new, Victorias Secrets unused bras with the tags still on them at a yard sale ? You just shove them in your recycled shopping bag and GLADLY pay $1.00 as opposed to $65.00 and up. When I was loosing weight and put all my used clothing on CL for donations to charities? The women would BEG me for my used bras. I had taken them and put them in a bag to go to Goodwill, but would go out to the storage and get them and be happy to include them in the donation bag with the clothes going to the person who was giving me a check for charity. I guess I was a little weirdo - I washed and bleached everything before handing it over, sprayed the shoes and dusted them with Dr. Shoals foot powder, and put all the unmentionables in a lingere bag. But the women I gave my stuff to were happy to have it. When I had a yard sale - Same thing - Women were like - Ya;ll have any bras? My Mother nearly passed out when she heard that. I told her when you're this top heavy and your things are kept this nice - people won't hesitate to ask you for your leftovers. people kept saying they couldn't belive all our stuff was 'clean'. But the first few yardsales I went to here? Cured me of going to too many more.

Now NEXT weeK? I'm gearing up for the GIGANTIC one from one state to the other - and I know right where I'm going and I can't wait! But I don't need any bras. lol

TerryJ2

Aha! Leave it to Star to give a totally logical explanation. :winnersmiley::bigsmile:

P.S. When I write my short story, the bras are going to be a C size. Just because it isn't about getting a bargain. It's about committing murder and enjoying revenge. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I started out with the EWWW factor really high... But... I can understand.

My favorite ones are $15 each. I hope I don't end up needing underwire with the baby, because they HURT. I should wear them but Warner's has no-wire ones I love. Good support, comfortable, not terribly expensive.

But... I try mine on at the store. If they're comfy, I stick with 'em. Till they fall apart... No selling mine.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Committing murder? If the person is dying by asphyxiation? I would recommend the ta-tas be at least a 42DD. I can't see a C cup smothering anyone unless someone was positioned quite accurately. Then again I am merely comparing apples and oranges.