Breadmaker recipes

Kathy813

Staff member
I bought myself a breadmaker for Christmas and was wondering if any of you have some breadmaker recipes to share.

I haven't tried it yet since I don't have any bread flour but can't wait to wake up to fresh baked bread!

~Kathy

M

ML

Congratulations on the bread maker! They are so much fun. I bet you can find tons of recipes on the internet! Enjoy.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I use regular dough recipes in my breadmaker all the time, i just take it out and bake it in the regular oven.

My favs are homemade pizza dough and cinnamon rolls. I have the recipes at home if you're interested, but they're just common recipes from regular cookbooks.

I like to throw everything in the maker in the morning for pizza dough, then make pizza when I get home from work.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a number of recipes. For speed and ease I have a bread machine MIX you can make. It is quite inexpensive.

I also have the Outback Honey Wheat Bushmans Bread recipe for the breadmaker. It is quite wonderful. I will dig them out and post them tomorrow.

Marguerite

We get a commercial bread mix in 10 Kg calico sacks. I have a large plastic storage bin under the kitchen table, it holds my bulk flour and bulk rice.

For some time we've been unable to get our favourite bread mix in quantity, so I've been experimenting (with varying success). I have found -

1) "Bread flour" or "Baker's flour" are the same thing - plain wheaten flour with a fairly high level of gluten, which holds onto the bubbles of CO2 formed by the yeast, which helps the bread have a light texture. "Bread mix" is baker's flour which has all the other stuff added, such as salt, sugar, bread improver but NOT the yeast. If you want to investigate low gluten bread flour, such as spelt flour, then be warned - it doesn't rise properly, because of it's lack of gluten. They don't tell you this when you buy it. We actually bought some spelt flour described as "spelt bread mix" - an oxymoron indeed, almost as moronic as I felt when I realised I'd been had.

2) If you're using plain wheaten flour, you MUST add salt or the result is inedible. easy child 2/difficult child 2 used some bulk bread flour I bought and didn't add any other ingredients, except yeast. The result looked fabulous but tasted awful. We fed it to the chooks.

3) You CAN substitute ordinary, plain, white wheaten flour for "bread flour" or "baker's flour". Or vice versa. We finally got a new supplier for our bulk bread mix and I'm using up the baker's flour in my standard flour jar.

So unless you only have supplies of low gluten flour, then go ahead and have a go. Use plain flour (I think you call it "all-purpose flour"?) and make sure you add everything else you're supposed to. Bread improver - unflavoured Vitamin C supplement (such as calcium ascorbate) makes an OK bread improver - I forgot to add it a few times but noticed no difference.

A recipe we've got on right this minute, is foccaccia. It is my all-purpose Italian dough recipe, I also use it for pizza. It's a variation on what is in the book. 360 ml of liquid (milk, or water, or egg, or combination of all three), 2 T of olive oil (I throw in some chopped herbs, dried or fresh), a generous pinch of sugar (and maybe another of salt), 4 cups of BREAD MIX and two and a half to three teaspoons of dried yeast. I put it on the dough setting. When the machine is done, I tip it out into an oiled baking dish (without the rack, of course!) and coat the top with oil as well. I poke my index finger into it to make even depressions and then sprinkle a teaspoon of rock salt over the surface. Put it into a warm place to rise (I use the oven, turned off, but with the oven light on). Once it is risen, remove the dish from the oven gently while you heat the oven to 200C. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turn it out, allow it to cool then cut it up into pieces, cut each piece in half and use the pieces like generous sandwich bread in a sandwich press (George Foreman-type grill with lid).
We live on this in summer (like, now) especially with post-Christmas ham, fresh tomato and cheese as filling.

This recipe can also be used for dough for pizza base.

Another option with this dough - roll it out flat into a rectangle. Spread it with savoury fillings (like pizza fillings), roll it up into a cylinder, cut pieces about 2-3 cm thick and place them flat on a baking tray, end up, so the pieces touch. Let it rise, then bake as above. It's a sort of savoury Chelsea bun. If you want to, you can sprinkle grated cheddar on them before baking.

You can also do sweet versions of this for a more traditional Chelsea bun - or for chocolate Chelseas, spread the rolled out dough rectangle with Nutella, sprinkle on some nuts and choc bits, roll it up and bake. When done you can drizzle melted chocolate over it all before serving.

Your bread machine should have come with a recipe book. Ours has a really good one.

I also use ours for brioche and use the brioche dough recipe to make croissants - that is for the experts, you need to keep the dough fairly cold for this, so the butter doesn't melt and mix into the dough. You can either fold pea-sized chopped bits of butter through the dough, or spread a rolled out rectangle with butter, then fold it and roll it out again, as you would for home-made puff pastry. You finally roll it out thin and cut triangles, rolling them up from the wide end to the point and shape into crescents. Let them rise overnight in the fridge and bake them in the oven for an early morning fresh croissant. Fiddly, it takes practice. I cheat and use a pasta machine to roll out the dough (on the thickest setting).

Brioche - easy. I use fresh-laid eggs from our chooks, and lots of butter. You need extra yeast to cope with all the grease. I use a fancy-shaped silicone ring mould (I divide the dough into two batches) and thoroughly glaze it with beaten egg before baking, then unmould it and glaze the underside and bake on that side too, to get an all-over all'uova glaze. I serve it warm on a large wooden platter, with home-made jam and double cream. Easy to impress with that one.

Home-made fruit bread - go carefully, my bread machine is a good one but it purees raisins. I use sultanas and currants instead. You have to watch that the fruit doesn't all end up in the bottom - it doesn't with mine, but does with some brands and models. Add the fruit manually late in the kneading, if your machine doesn't have a special additives compartment.

Cleaning - again, go carefully. Once they get scratched it's much harder to tip out the baked bread. We try to not leave it in the machine, it gets steamy inside. it crisps up nicely when you tip it out just as it is done. So keep washing to a minimum, just make sure no leftover bready bits are left behind and use a soft cloth. No scourers at all. Soak to a minimum, never leave it to soak.

And despite what they say, don't use it for making jam. It's a pest to clean. Pasta is also not worth it in the bread machine - use your food processor instead. It does a better, faster job (if you can't use your hands).
We used our first bread machine to make pasta as well, it wore out the kneading blade much faster.

Congratulations on having one of these - but if you don't keep it out and use it regularly, it becomes a cupboard filler. So we use ours. We buy a gourmet bread mix which tastes better than anything we can buy except right at the top of the range, PLUS it saves buckets of money. A budget bread mix would cost us 17c a loaf. Our expensive one costs us 80c a loaf. In the shops, a budget loaf of bread is $4 (that's all in Aussie dollars, which currently are rapidly approaching US bucks in value).

Have fun, Kathy. Feel free to ask me for recipes & tips any time.

Marg

goldenguru

Here's my all time favorite:

Onion Bread:

1 c. water
3 c. flour
2 T. olive oil (any oil would work)
2 T. sugar
3 T. Parmesan cheese
1 envelope of Lipton onion soup mix (dry)
2 1/2 t. yeast

Set to light setting.

Yummy and soooo easy.