Breaking out in hives

K

Kjs

on a daily basis now. Started off once in a while, then more frequently...now several times a day. I don't know what to do.

I wake up in the morning with hives. I haven't eaten or drank anything yet. Benadryl is working so far to a point.

I start to itch in late afternoon, which is a pain when I am at work. I run in the bathroom and just scratch. OMG it is so itchy. Then I get big welts. I have scratched some open. One day it was behind my knees and I scratched. Yesterday I noticed that turned all black and blue.

My lip broke out yesterday on my way to work. Then I could feel my tongue getting tingly so took a benadryl. Still had a fat lip most of my shift. Got home and the other side of my lip swelled up. It was huge. Woke up this morning still with a fat lip and more hives.

I haven't gone to the doctor because I never know when it will happen. I don't feel nervous, I haven't changed anything, haven't fought with difficult child recently. This is driving me nuts.

I can't put lotion on them because I don't know where they'll be. they come and go. Also more appear wherever something touches me. (and places where nothing touches me) ARRRGGGG!

smallworld

You really need to see a doctor.

Have you recently changed laundry detergent, soap, lotion, shampoo, makeup, anything you can think of?

K

Kjs

nope. The only thing I changed was my Coke intake. Lol. I was drinking 3 - 4 cans of Coke a day. Now I have maybe one a week. I cut out chips, junk and drink water and eat cheerios instead of Frito's.

I have no idea.

tiredmommy

Duckie usually gets hives under one of two conditions: she's either having an allergic reaction or (sometimes) she's either coming down with a viral infection or just getting over one. Do either of these scenarios fit your situation?

K

Kjs

This happened about 5 years ago. Eventually benadryl didn't work. My tongue would swell. Hives all over. They did testing and found nothing. Gave me an Epi pen which I am carrying now. Only it expired in 2004. I don't remember how it finally ended.

Stress? I don't know. I don't feel anxious or nervous. My job status is currently unknown and that is on the back of my mind. We will find out if it will be outsourced this month.

difficult child and I have not gotten into it like we use to. I don't see him much due to my hours. I worry about him because most of his friends drive now and I don't like that. I worry when he is with them.

But WHY would I wake up like that? Morning is the worst until benadryl kicks in. Then early evening it comes back and go through it all over again. I just don't know what the doctor can do if I go in and have no hives. I have marks where I was itching. I am concerned how I turned all black and blue. I have a busy week. Working extra tomorrow, IEP meeting, class and work. Since I work alone I cannot just come in late because nobody is here.

tiredmommy

Use a digital camera to take pics of the hives, we've done it before for Duckie. Seriously, see a doctor. You need to get your epipen rx refilled.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ditto what TM said. Make sure the date/time stamp on the camera is right and start snapping away. Also, if there is ever a time where you can literally see the hives forming, take video of it. Most digital cameras can do that.

I forgot to check your siggy but do you have pets? Any chance you may be allergic to them somehow? Could they sleep with you at night and you not know it? Since you are worse in the morning, I'm kind of wondering if there might not be something in your heating vents....does any of them blow on or towards you when you are in bed?

Since you haven't changed anything recently, any chance you've developed an allergy to the fabric in your sheets or your detergent? Otherwise, in addition to the pictures I would start making a log of all of the hives/rash/swelling and document when, where, what you were doing at the time, what you ate recently, what you wore or came into contact with....anything possible that you can think of. Between that and the pics, maybe you and the doctor can figure something out.

mstang67chic

Going Green
And as for the itching....I would just start carrying some type of anti itch cream with you so you have it when it starts.

And to reiterate...GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! :surprise:

klmno

It wouldn't be shingles would it?? I hope not for your sake....I would have thought an allergic reaction tos omething, too- any new medications lately?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
New food.........even something you tasted? New drinks. Something new with the pets. How about pollen in the area? Any chance one of the pets could be bringing it into the house on their fur? (mother in law had this with pioson ivy) Any bug bites? Nichole gets bite by a bug and she's instant hives.........even a flea will do it. Heck she can't kill a flea and touch her eye or her eye swells shut. :(

Remember though......an allergy can develop to something you've always used, eaten, or been around. So maybe keep track of what you eat ect for as long as it's going on. This will keep you focused on what you're doing/eating thru out the day and might help you pinpoint what's triggering it.

And get to a doctor asap! You need that epipen refilled!!! Swelling tongues are dangerous business!

Hugs

klmno

Did you recently turn the heat on for the first time this year? Dry air can do it- especially if there is dust built up in the duct work from not being used a few months.

K

Kjs

I have thought of the dogs, but it happens at work, in the car anywhere. I have just no idea. No pollen - It froze already. Heat, yes. It was put on when I was at work. And I broke out prior to the heat. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. Getting worse each day. Right now my eyes feel puffy. I'll have to go check it out. Plus I really have to itch and I am working in a room with guys, so I need to use the rest room..

K

Kjs

And they come and go in all different spots. I looked up Hives on the mayo clinic web site. There is a picture. That is exactly what it looks like. They come and go in all different areas.

MyFriendKita

I started getting hives daily a couple of years ago and had never been allergic to anything at all before. They never did figure out what it was. It was suggested that it might have been an allergic reaction to a virus. You definitely need to see your doctor, since you're having swelling in your face. They should be able to do something for you even if you're not actively breaking out at your appointment. In the meantime, have you tried Claritin? I was put on a combination of 10 mg. Claritin once a day along with 75 mg. of Zantac (although it's used for acid reflux, I was told it is an antihistimine) twice a day. I took the generic for both medications and they worked fine. I had to take that daily for a year and half before I was finally able to discontinue it, but it did help immensely with the itching. I feel for you--the itching is horrible.

tiredmommy

Rm1976 has a great suggestion. Fwiw, Duckie's allergist has her on Zyrtec and she seldom gets hives anymore. Plus, they aren't nearly as bad as they used to be since she started on the Zyrtec. They actually have a liquid children's formula specially made for hives. ;)

K

Kjs

I went to the doctor today. I can't go from work, I am the only one there.
Anyway, for the past month it is several times a day. Lips swollen for two days. and guess what. I had just a few spread out. No swelling. Doctor said there is nothing he can do. See an allergist. ???? I knew it. Where's my fat lips today? Or my hive ontop of hive on top of hive? He did give me a new Epi pen. Two of them. He told me if it is in my lip area, the tongue and throat are coming next. I didn't know you still have to go to ER after you use an EPI pen. I thought it just fixed it all.

So, I am sure they will return later today.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm sure any doctor would tell you that swelling in the lips and tongue is a serious issue. I would suggest that if it happens again, you drop what you're doing...lock the work place door and go to any clinic/hospital. They'll just have to deal with it.

I only had this happen once, but it was from a bee sting. It can suffocate you, though. You don't want it moving down your throat.

A good allergist sounds like a great plan. I know it's a pain in the bootie to go through that zillion battery of tests.

Abbey