Bubba boogers... Not for the easily grossed out

witzend

Thanks for the info, Star. I'm going to print it up and take it to our pet food store, "Holistic Pet". We have him on a very good hypo-allergenic food called "California Naturals" Lamb and Rice. It's more expensive but they need less of it and since it's better absorbed, their poo is smaller. Yay! You gotta love that!

I know that the amount of benadryl seems huge, but dogs process it more quickly than we do, so the dose is 2 mg per pound. I had the vet's assistant on the phone, and almost got the whole discussion out with her, but there was a "doggy emergency" that she had to run take care of, so hopefully she will call me back soon and have an RX of antibiotics for Bubba to clear the infection. I'm definitely looking into the "sinu-rite".

susiestar

Roll With It
I totally think you are NOT crazy for this. Our furbabies give us so much MORE consistent love than our kids, they keep us sane.

I think Star's ideas are great. My parents have a cat who has Super Glue snot. If you don't wipe it off while it is wet, it can't be removed with-o removing paint!! Makes me laugh, their bathroom has a bunch of little places where the paint is gone, all below 12" from the floor!

One thing that helped the cat was having Saline nasal gel (ayr makes a great one). I don't know if it would be better than KY jelly. but it helps.

we also used one of hte nebulizers to blow special compounded medicine into him. He had to be in a carrier with towels over it (not totally over it, but blocking much of it so the medications stayed in. After several months, we discovered that Brincho-saline worked just as well. And was a LOT cheaper.

this won't HURT your cat. And if you don't have a nebulizer, I have quite a few. thank you is on inhalers now, so we don't need the nebs.

With a dog, I would sit next to him, have the bronchosaline in the neb, and just blow it into his face. I did this a LOT when thank you was really little and just couldn't handle the mask or mouthtube due to sensory issues. Bronchosaline won't have an effect on YOU either.

I am so sorry your furbaby is so snot-filled. Is there any way he would let YOU irrigate his nose with saline? You can mix salt and baking soda 3:1 (3 parts salt, 1 part baking soda) for a buffered saline, as is used in many nasal irrigators. It is what we use - use 1/8 tsp for every 8 oz.

Hugs,

susie

Star*

call 911........call 911
My Am Bull is 114 lbs. (at least HE has lost some weight in 21 weeks) lol -

He takes 2 Benadryl (dollar general is 24 /$2) and can take them 2 - 3 x a day.

We put them in with pnut butter - the crunchy kind. He sleeps a lot.

His is air bourne allergies - and his skin pays the price.

witzend

If you buy benadryl at Costco, you get the store brand (Kirkland) generic 400 tablets for $3.69. Can't beat that!

I did talk to the vet's office today. They said finish off the expensive prescriptions, they will fill an antibiotic, and refill as necessary when he gets infections. So, that will save us about $200 a month! Whew/Phew!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Do NOT use canned pumpkin pie FILLING for diarrhea in dogs. You want canned solid pack pumpkin.

The pie filling is loaded with sugar and various spices and can really aggravate the problem you are trying to solve.

So...canned solid pack pumpkin.

witzend

Yes, we use solid packed 100% pumpkin mixed in the food to keep Mandy's stuff firm. There's also probiotics from the holistic place we add to the gooey mess. When Bubba get the runs from medications, we feed him a little plain white rice. It's good and starchy and helps a lot.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks Going North - I meant Packed pie filling, The other poured in a dog? Well - product in product out.

Try the humidifier see if it helps him.

I'm still looking for a solution to mouth shoe strings. lol. Our boys don't have that - but I was looking to rescue a mastiff / dane mix and it's part of the breed. Also he had such a sour smelling face - anyone with suggestions for that with Molossers?

My dream dog lives at my house - the next one I would like to get is a Dogues de Bordeaux. Big red french Mastiff.

Had to tell you about my mom and dads first dog. He was a dalmation. Mom wallpapered the living room of their first home and when done went to the 5 and dime for decorations and pictures. When she got back - the dalmation had eaten the wallpaper!!!!! pulled it right off the wall in a bunch of places.
My Mother said she was too amazed to be angry - she had no idea he was so bored. He got some toys, she repapered the house and this time when she was done - she put the dalmation out in the yard until the glue dried.

She LOVES dalmations - but everytime you mention the breed she has something to say about wallpaper. lol

witzend

Yep, young Dalmatians get bored! And they're young until they are about 8 years old. husband used to take Bubba on the bike and ride him a mile out and a mile home every day, rain or shine. If he didn't, there was always some sort of trouble.