Bubba got HGE again

witzend

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. You know, sudden onset explosive bloody vomiting and diarrhea. Last time I nearly let him die because it came on so fast and we figured it was something he ate and he would get over it. He nearly went into shock.

This time I knew what it was and took him to the vet pretty early into it. Not as early as I should have. Not before he was standing around in a daze, decided he couldn't drink water (bad bad sign), had diarrhea in my house, (on the hardwood, thank god!), in my car on the way to the vet (on the blanket I had laid on the floor of the back seat), and on his bed this morning. Which he decided to sleep in. So he got a butt bath on the deck before he went back to the vet to finish off his bag of ringers and antibiotics. I do have to say that it's much cheaper to take them to the vet and get it taken care of than the emergency vet hospital. About a third of the cost. But, if it's anything like last time, he should be up and around and nearly himself by tomorrow evening. Bland diet for a while though.

Bear in mind that he is a 13 year old Dalmatian, supposedly this is a disease most often seen in toy and small breed dogs between the ages of 2 and 4 years old. It only recurs in 15% of dogs. Bubba's sooooo special. :ashamed:

If your dog becomes suddenly ill, take him to the vet. They nearly always die of it within a day or so if left untreated.

Mom wants her car detailed for Mother's Day. Just sayin'...

Mom2oddson

Wishing Bubba a speedy recovery!

It's hard when our pups get old. Mason is 13 and hard of hearing. Some mornings he doesn't hear me when I try to wake him. Scares me each and every time! Bubba is lucky to have such a good Mama. Hope you get the car-detailing for Mom's day!