Bubba very ill...

witzend

Bubba stopped eating yesterday morning after some vomiting the night before. Last night he was up all night with diarrhea. This morning I tried a piece of dry toast, which he seemed to keep down. I was hopeful. An hour later he really enjoyed a second slice, so I was hoping we were in the clear. I was wrong. He knew he couldn't come back into the house without messing in here, so he stayed outside. I went to get a sample of what he was leaving in the lawn, and found pools of blood.

I rushed him to the Emergency vet, where we eventually decided we would do a blood test for disease and x-ray for obvious blockages or growths or tumors, and they found nothing. They readied him to come home with a subcutaneous fluid injection and something to calm his stomach. On our way there, he vomited copious quantities of blood and had bloody diarrhea again. So, he's staying for tonight and probably tomorrow on IV fluids and antibiotics, a peptic type medication, and an anti-motion sickness/vomiting drug. They think he has something called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, which usually does well when (very expensively) treated, but that's a diagnosis that is made by a process of elimination. Dogs can die of shock if they aren't on an IV, though. It's been a rough couple of days. I will keep you guys informed.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm sorry about Bubba, Witz. He has to be as scared as you are. Poor honeys.

Hugs,
Suz

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Oh geeze. Bubba's a Dalmation, right? They can have bleeding disorders. There is also an autoimmune disorder dogs get where the system attacks it's own platelets.

Is your clinic set up to do transfusions if needed?

I am sorry to hear this--I hope he recovers without problem.

donna723

Oh poor Bubba! And poor you! I know you must be worried sick. I hope they can get it under control and that he a lot better soon. Please keep us posted.

witzend

Thanks, all. I can't believe what a blubbering idiot I was in the vet's office. When we were trying to decide what diagnostic steps to choose, they had to explain the options to me 3 - 4 times. Thank goodness husband was there to help me figure out what they were saying, or I would never have been able to figure it out. It was like my brain went on vacation.

Tomorrow we have to decide where he will be observed at. He's at an emergency vet right now, and he's stable. I have to admit, I really didn't like the doctor. She seemed to be totally disinterested once we started talking about not going automatically with the most expensive options. I hate to sound that way, but Bubba is an old guy, and we can't blow $4,000 or $5,000 on him just to diagnose his problems. It's going to be way expensive, but how expensive it is going to be will be the battle we fight in the morning. Tonight I just need to sleep and recharge.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I see vet ERs as being just that. The patient should be moved to a standard clinic once stable.

Vet ERs do serve a purpose and I have used them many a time, but they cost a fortune. I am sure I am not the first person to sit in the back seat with a sick pet and hold an IV bag in the air on the way to the regulary hospital.

No one can tell you what to do from here. If you are dealing with bleeding problems you could realistically be looking at spending a problem.

I tend to look at it from a quality of life/financial standpoint and I am comfortable with that. You and only you can decide what is right.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hugs. Making life decisions for pets and sometimes family is a very complicated, emotional, and depressing chore some of us have to live through.
You will do what's best for Bubba based on age and quality of life and finances.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Witz, I'm so sorry and know exactly how you feel. When Sophie was sick, each decision on how to proceed was excruciating for us; the expense, the pain caused to her, the outlook, etc.

I hope Bubba bounces back. Of course, as you know, go with your gut - you will know what's right for you and Bubba. Don't allow the vets to guilt you into anything. It's just so difficult because they almost make it seem as if you're heartless because you don't want to take out a second mortgage for exploratory surgery or something. Just Horrible when you're already a mess.

Sending many hugs and comfort.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OH WITZ!!!!

NOT MY SNOTTY BUBBA!!!!:(:(:( You know I love that our spotted hound.

I'm sending the best 12 paws and 2 hands tightly clamped that he will be okay and pull through and that the worst of this is over. I am so, so sorry dear. I will keep positive spotted thoughts going for the snot monster. And for his Mommy of course. YOU BOTH hang in there.

BUBBA - this is your Auntie Star - GET WELL SOON you hear me kid? (Rubs back of neck gently and kisses forehead)

klmno

I'm sorry to hear this, Witz. I hope the stay at the vet's last night helped stabilize him and provided a few answers. Do you have a regular vet that you trust and you can move him to? Do you have a vet school with a pet hospital nearby?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I took your 'stolen' dalmation out of the cabinet - and have been rubbing him all day - any word? C'mon bubba boy!

witzend

Bubba is home and totally exhausted. He's crashed and snoring at my feet. He was so happy to get out of that place! It's a good thing that I had already paid the bill and gotten release instructions, because the vet tech walked him into the waiting room and handed me the leash he just kept right walking right out the door until he hit the lawn and did what dogs do. Then he hugged my legs and made happy noises so long I wasn't sure that I would be able to get him to stop long enough to get him into the car to go home.

We are to keep him on very bland food for several days, and work him into his regular diet. Thank you all for your good thoughts. It helped to know that you were with us.

PS - It was hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. The IV fluids and medications to firm him up and stop the bleeding have helped tremendously. He's not completely better, but not like yesterday. He was so bad I thought he was going die on the deck. He wouldn't come into the house because he knew he was just going to keep being sick and he won't be sick in the house. What a sweet guy... But it was pretty clear he was heading for shock if I didn't do something. And, it cost a teeny tiny bit less than we had set our limit at.

Last edited: