Bumping up the Depakote!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I posted on the Watercooler today about husband cycling and lately it seems like difficult child 2 is becoming hypomanic (again). difficult child 2 was very irritable last week and part of the weekend. Short temper, and explosive over minor stuff. Then Sunday, Monday and today he's been bouncing off the walls. He admitted that his head is "buzzing" a little bit. He's very distracted, very hyper, very impulsive again.

So I called the psychiatrist this morning to give him an update and they called back this afternoon with orders to increase his evening Depakote from 500mg to 750mg (he also takes 250mg in the morning). Fingers crossed that it helps! He completely unravelled last May and I ended up having to go to school with him a couple of times to help keep an eye on him during a field trip and at some school assemblies. I'm hopeful we can circumvent a repeat and keep him relatively stable the rest of the year. So far he's not as bad as he was. I think the Seroquel has been a good foundation, but he definitely needs something more.

I'll keep y'all posted!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I hope this catches it before it gets too out of control.
K seems to be a bit elevated as well.
I don't know if it is the end of school coming, the increased heat or what?
We are up in the upper 90's and 100's already!!!
You need one of your G'sFG stable!

crazymama30

Hope that the increase nips it. I know a couple weeks ago we increased my difficult child's Lamictal and it sure did the trick. Here's hoping that he can finish the school year without you going with him.

Lothlorien

May seems to be a problem around here too. psychiatrist wants to put Missy on Depakote, too. Neuro says no way. I think she is doing just fine on Risperdal, but psychiatrist doesn't want to increase. HUH? Won't increase Risp, but wants to put her on Depakote? I think psychiatrist is a difficult child!

Anyway, I can certainly empathize with you, today. Missy left the house hypomanic this morning. I have a feeling I will be getting a note, if not a call, from teacher, today.

Hope the increase works, gvc.