Burrito...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK I love Mexican food!!! I love Hispanic food... I am Spanish and Portuguese... My Step-Mom is Mexican, I have known her and loved her cooking since I was 14yo... My Father lives in Mexico for crying out loud.
Seriously if anyone loves a tortilla or bean or rice it is me!!!

But K is starting to drive me CRAZY!!!! INSANE!!!!
It has been months! Yes Months... every night, "I want a burrito..."
I have to make her Rice, beans , whatever.... some kind of thing in a Tortilla with cheese, hopefully avocado, sour cream...
but she does not care!!!
Beans, Rice and the Tortilla...
I will slip egg, tofu other things in.
It is just the monotony of every night... BURRITO... If I make something else and not make her a burrito... she will not eat. Or she eats like one bite. DONE!!!
She is OK, I make something else, OK, one bite, "I am full"

I really don't mind so much... it is just, you know??? BORING after awhile. She is ruining my love of all things Hispanic!!!
I make enchiladas, sauces, mole, fajitas, fish tacos, tortas... all she wants is ... you know.

Gotta go, guess what I am going to go make!!!???

mstang67chic

Going Green
Gotta love it when they are picky like that. As I type this, husband is still cooking eggs and bacon for supper. He called difficult child out to get his plate which had 3 eggs over easy, bacon and toast. I just sat here waiting on the argument. It never came. GRRRRRRRRRRR

The reason I am grrr-ing? If I had cooked him eggs over easy instead of scrambled, I would have been yelled at.

I know it's a pain but at least you're able to slip other nutrients into it.

donna723

What would she do if you made something else for dinner, just put it on the table and said, "Here it is - take it or leave it!" And nothing else if she didn't want to eat it! No snacks, no "alternate" dinner. You're not a short-order cook! How many meals do you think she will skip before she gets hungry enough to eat whatever YOU decided to cook for dinner? She won't starve! If she gets hungry enough, she'll be gobbling up liver and brussel sprouts! She won't like this one little bit but you just have to be tougher than she is and ride out the storm!

Yep, I'm "old school" all the way!

Wiped Out

Staff member
When difficult child goes to Grandma's all he wants is home made tortillas.

My difficult child is also very picky and I thought about fighting the food battle. When we've tried though my difficult child gets violent and so not worth the battle. Right now we are trying something they did when he was in the hospital. If he doesn't like what we're having he can make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's only been three days so far and amazingly he like all three dinners we had planned. It will be interesting to find out how he reacts on Wednesday-I think that's the first meal I have planned that he doesn't usually eat.

Good luck in finding something other than the burritos for K!!

totoro

Oh yeah she is happy as a bug in a rug... N and I are walking around singing the "Taco, burrito- what's that in your SPEEDO" Song... SNL!!! I know nice thing to teach my almost 4yo!!! But it just kept slipping out of my mouth as I was cooking!!!
Tonight was easy, she wanted to eat early, and I had the beans and rice already made up...
She also has to have "Porridge" almost every morning for breakfast... it is a 5-grain or so breakfast cereal, hot. Like Oatmeal, but more grainy, more porridgy... I guess?
She calls it Porridge...
She eats very healthy, but gets SO stuck...

She just told me I make the best food!!! It makes it all worth it!!! She does the same thing to husband, Mustang. You don't make it RIGHT!!! That isn't like Mommy does it!!!
GRRRRR is right.

totoro

NO, she will eat other food... she just doesn't eat as well or as much. I make other food. But at times I do give in to her... When she was doing her medication-wash and going through all of this, I admit I have been giving in to her with the food. I just want peace at times in the house.
But I will let her get her own food, usually it ends up being a bowl of cereal. Right now with husband out of town for a couple of weeks... I admit I am a wimp!!!
She is never angry, she just wants a burrito, she is passionate... "Please Mom" I really want a burrito...
If I say NO, I am not cooking burrito's tonight, she may get ticked. But I do know for a fact this child is not going to starve! LOL
I don't feed her other stuff if she doesn't eat dinner. I think I am the sucker though from my horrible eating experiences when I was a kid... I want her to enjoy her meals. I like sitting with the family at dinner time. That has been for the most part our one time during the day that isn't filled with ups and downs...
I guess it is one of those pick your battles...
Maybe I need to be tougher???

mstang67chic

Going Green
I'm kind of on both sides of the food thing. If I make something I know that difficult child either likes or will eat but he doesn't want to...sorry...next meal is breakfast. However, if I make something I KNOW he doesn't like, I'll make him something else. I HATED it when my mom would make me eat stuff she knew I didn't like and I won't do that to my kids.

crazymama30

to me , the food battle is not worth it. If you don't like dinner (you do have to try it) you can make a pb & j. difficult child just is not a dinner person.

Taco burrito what is in your Speedo!!! I need to watch SNL more, well, maybe just watch it. That is just crazy. I will no longer be able to eat a burrito or taco without singing that song.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sheesh -

I thought you bought a burro.

Hey Toto - what do you call a cat in a tube sock?

A purrito.

:furious:

Steely

Gosh that cracks me up. When difficult child was that age - he was the same way.

For years it was oatmeal in the morning, or nothing. I would go to Costco and buy bulk Oats.

And since he was 2 he had to have beans and cheese as part of his meal. Even if he had the flu, before chicken soup he wanted beans and cheese. (Keep in mind I am from Oregon - Tex/Mex was never a regular on my menu - but it was on his.) He does not care, he used to eat beans out of tupperware for school lunch. What a cutie, really. I miss those days.

Very funny similarity. At least our kiddos insist on nutrition???

F

flutterbee

I was a picky eater growing up - still am - so I don't do the food battle cause I know what it's like to be forced to eat foods that literally make you gag.

Sometimes, I will make more than one meal if it's not too big of a deal. But, if the main meal I'm making is laborious or if I'm tired, either kid can makes themselves something even if it's a bowl of cereal. Although, they are both more adept than that at their ages.

T - enjoy singing those kooky songs with your kids while you can. When I do it now, difficult child yells at me to stop. Which, of course, being the good mother that I am just prompts me to sing it LOUDER. *snicker*

It's my favorite way to wake her up. Lately, it's been the Annie song, "Tomorrow". Would probably be better if knew the words. :tongue:

Abbey

Spork Queen
You're preaching to the wrong choir here. I could eat Mexican food 24/7. I LOVE it. My problem is I don't like meat in it and trying to convey that is sometimes tricky depending on where I go. I just like beans, rice, and all the goodies on a flour. Now, if's a REALLY good place they can pan fry up some halepenos (sp?) that are SOOOO good. I like my fire.

I think it really drives my husband nuts. When we want to go out to dinner, he always asks where I want to go. Duh. I say the same thing every time. Why ask? The other place I love is Olive Garden. I just like their salad and soup. He hates that place as well, so it makes going out for dinner a bit of a deal. Ugh.

Abbey

DammitJanet

If she loves burritos then make dinner and give her tortilla's to fix up her own burritos. Maybe you are having chicken or hamburger...let her put what she wants in the burrito with some canned mashed up pinto beans and maybe individual containers of rice. I wouldnt fight this one.

totoro

After my long struggle to get her to bed... The basket C over the bath... the screaming that she was going to die she had to leave me... crying for almost 2 hours tonight. "I am never going to School again"...
I was very happy that we had a nice dinner... burrito and all!!! If I can have a nice dinner with K, I will take it!!!
Taco, burrito hey where is my Purrito??? Thanks Star* now I have a new song!!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Everyone has to make their own decision on this one. If I go to the trouble to cook a meal that is dinner. End of discussion. Now this used to be a bit of a battle more with difficult children than easy child. easy child having known this rule lifelong and difficult children aquiring it when I aquired them. I did the PB sandwich (no jelly for dinner as the sandwich would end up all jelly otherwise) thing if they didn't like what was before them. But they had to try everything first. Because in their case most of the things they said they didn't like they had never had and were just saying it cuz they didn't know if they would like it or not.

Now with husband working evenings and easy child in track there isn't a whole lot of structured meals during the week.

I just swore to myself that I was not going to become a short order cook in my own kitchen unless that was the type of night we were having.

I like burritos though so I might stop in for dinner one night OK?

Beth

Oh and your daughter sounds like my one grandmother. She believed you could put anything between two slices of bread and call it a sandwich. Sounds like K believes anything in a tortilla is a burrito.

KTMom91

You know...a breakfast burrito sounds pretty good right about now. Might have to put my shoes on and go to Bobby Salazar's.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
I'm with DJ, I love the idea of leaving the tortillas out each nite and having her make her own burrito out of what's there for dinner. Look on the bright side - she's not asking for liver and onions every night!!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
We chose not to fight the food battle. Esp with thank you and the food allergies when he was young. It wasn't worth it.

Why not make a bunch of burritos 1 day and freeze them. Just get them ready, put them in plastic bags and freeze. Or, even more convenient, put them on a cookie sheet not touching, freeze, and put into a big ziploc and return to the freezer. Then you could just have HER microwave one for dinner.

Or, have the beans and rice made up, along with whatever else you want to offer, and have HER make them. Jsut put the fillings in and wrap them up. At 6 she is able to do this. My kids all had things they made by 6 or so. Mostly because then they could make something simple if they refused to eat what was cooked.

Sorry she is so stuck.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hello,

My name is Star, I'm a Mexican food freak. IF it's true mehichano cuisine. Not a Patio Brand Burrito. :tongue:

And after working in construction with guys who had REAL South of the Border food - I have a NEW respect for anyone that can eat the real deal and attempt a porta john in 110 degree weather. :ninja:

totoro

MMMM roadside Mexican food...my in-laws I thought were going to have heart failure, when we were in Mexico. husband and I kept eating at the little houses and roaside diners... LOVED IT!!! If it was in a back alley all the better...
I can eat it every day... But I want more than beans and rice at times... I do a lot of shrimp and tortillas... or fish tacos. MMMM