Buttermilk & mashed potatoes

klmno

If I use buttermilk in mashed potatoes instead of regular milk and butter, will they taste the same?

donna723

I've never used buttermilk either but I've stirred a big spoonful of sour cream into them when they're done and they're delicious! Next time I do that, I may put in some crumbled bacon too! Making myself hungry now!

graceupongrace

I'm not sure, as buttermilk has kind of a sour taste on its own.

Sour cream is good; so is chicken broth if you want the potatoes to be lower in calories but still flavorful. I've also used a dollop of plain nonfat yogurt.

klmno

Well, I could use low-fat but my reason for asking is that I forgot to get milk at the store. I bought buttermilk to make some cornbread tomorrow. Then after I got home, I realized that mashed pot. would be good with tomorrow's dinner, too. I'll pick some up tomorrrow.

As far as mixing stuff in- I normally put a few dashes of garlic powder and grated cheddar cheese. Bacon bits and chives or chopped green onion are good in there, too!

muttmeister

I've used buttermilk. I"ve also used yogurt and I've used sour cream. They won't taste exactly the same but they will be good. The buttermilk, yogurt, and sour cream are all a little tangier than regular milk and it does come through in the potatoes but it is not a bad taste; in fact, not being a great fan of regular mashed potatoes, I think I like them better.