Buying a router

klmno

I guess that's all I need in order to unplug my laptop and go wifi in my house, correct? My laptop is wifi-ready and the internet company said all I needed was a router. I don't have a huge house (renting) but it's 2 story and I want to be able to take my computer upstairs to my bedroom. difficult child will be here sometime in 8 mos or more but honestly, I'm not going to sweat his internet usage as much since he'll be 16 1/2 yo. I'll be watching any debit or CC though. So is there anything in particular I need to know about purchasing a router? I noticed some are inexpensive and some cost big bucks but the only big difference I see is speed. If I'm used to digital connections and no dial-up, what would be a good speed without splurging for the top of the line?

H

HaoZi

I went with a Belkin N+ router. Decent speed and distance, good security once you figure out how to secure it.

witzend

I'm pretty sure we use what the phone company provided for us. The only time we have ever had any problems was when we had the router set behind a brick wall and were trying to use it on the other side of the house. That was quite a while ago, though. I think that the stuff we have now is stronger though.

DammitJanet

Billy just bought a Netgear and hooked us up wireless when we got cable. He is asleep right now but I can ask him tomorrow and let you know what he says. Probably have one on sale Friday at Radio Shack...check. Actually, I will ask him tomorrow and let you know. He just put out 350 tags...lol.

Mattsmom277

My modem provided by my ISP is a wireless one, but years ago when they didn't provide it, I purchased a D-Link router and had no problems with it. Actually I have it set up at my aunt's house now for her laptop and it's running well for her all these years later. I don't know that there is much difference for home use routers despite varying prices on the market, but a person at a computer shop would probably know a lot more about them. I wouldn't go through the expense of a pricey one personally since I've seen how well the cheaper ones work.

DammitJanet

You need a wireless N router at least a 300 range. Netgear or Linksys. Radio Shack has them on sale for boyfriend. Prices vary from 59 on up.

If you need any help, PM me and I will give you Billy's phone number.

klmno

Ok- I guess I better wait until after I make up for that payday that the employer reneged on. Or at least until I start getting reimbursements in for these trips.

H

HaoZi

300 range is a type of router, not the price for it, if that's what you're thinking.