Caffeine withdrawal...what are the symptoms? Arrrrgh!

BusynMember

I have a killer headache and yesterday I was sooooooo tired that I slept half the day (work is done for me until after Jan. 1st). I felt so non-productive. Then I realized I hadn't had coffee for a few days. So I'm brewing a cup now, but are these signs of caffeine withdrawal? If so, the headache is a BIOTCH of a headache...lol...and the sleepiness makes ya useless. Notice I've been grumpy too (who me???)! :fightings::fightings:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
MWM, headaches are a common symptom of caffeine withdrawal. In some medical arenas caffeine withdrawal is a 'condition' worthy of it's own definition. It can cause some pretty severe reactions including depression, fatigue, irritability. You can do a Google search on it and you will be amazed at what you read! Enjoy your coffee!!

pasajes4

I tried to give up coffee. I will never make that mistake again. That is the closest I have ever come to having a nervous breakdown.

Nancy

Yes headache is a big sign of caffeine withdrawal. A few years back a group of neighbor ladies went to Cancun and I was told be everyone not to drink the water so I went five days without my ice tea and the entire time I had an awful headache. I didn't realize what was causing it until I finally drank my first ice tea and felt a huge relief and then realized caffeine is in ice tea.

BusynMember

Thank you, ladies. I just am having my first cup and the headache is gone...lol.

I didn't give up caffeine on purpose. I just didn't have time for my morning coffee. That is a mistake I won't make again. I had no idea caffeine withdrawal was so brutal. Never had such a horrible headache before and my kids were complaining that I was crabby...lol.

InsaneCdn

Nancy... bottled/canned pop is considered safe, if you get the actual bottle/can, and not "iced" in a glass... It's how I get my caffeine when travelling.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I am so addicted to caffeine that being late with my coffee can trigger those symptoms. I'm glad you are feeling better!

DDD

I didn't realize there could be so many problems until a manager at our real estate office announced she was giving up Coke. Truthfully I had never paid attention before but she evidently always had a can on her desk or in her hand. She
ended up having to go to the Dr. who in turn told her never to go "cold turkey". She weaned herself but it was a long process and she was a strong willed mature woman. Yikes. DDD

Nancy

Thanks Insane. They did not have bottled or canned ice tea where we were and only had fresh brewed. Trust me we looked for bottled beverages the entire time we were there.

InsaneCdn

If you're desperate for caffeine... there are other options. i.e. not necessarily what we "want" but it avoids caffeine withdrawal. Like various colas, for starters.

donna723

I was once (accidentally) completely decaffeinated and it was awful! I was staying at my cousins house and she only had decaf coffee but I didn't know it was decaf. I got a headache that was worse than the most awful sinus headache I've ever had - sick to my stomach and dizzy. Then I started throwing up! One big Dr. Pepper later and it all magically went away!

Californiablonde

I quit caffeine cold turkey when pregnant with easy child and it gave me the worst migraines ever. My doctor told me to quite caffeine while pregnant but he never told me to wean myself off slowly. Big mistake. Now I have my two cups of coffee every morning and my diet coke every afternoon and I never get headaches. I have no plans of giving up caffeine any time soon.

H

HaoZi

Same as with quitting smoking minus the coughing - headaches, irritability, tiredness, and a craving for the substance.

I drink coffee all day long, and then I come home from work and drink my spearmint tea (completely caffinated). It's probably why I'm upallnight! Honestly, it's nothing I'm proud of, but I never drink plain water.

Going without caffine makes me feel so sick, bad headache and nausea. It's not the worst thing, so to me, in my mind it's healthy because it makes me feel good. If you need it ladies, just enjoy your caffinated beverages, and lets give props to diet soda...another awesome beverage!!

In all honesty, everything we consume is full of chemicals including the air we breathe.

H

HaoZi

I tend to be a coffee and tea drinker myself all day, but as long as I get enough coffee first thing in the morning I can skip caffeine the rest of the day without ill effects. Well, I get tired more easily but I won't get the withdrawal headaches at least.

DammitJanet

Here is to whatever gets you through the day! As I raise my bottle of diet coke! And smoke my cigarette. I have no plans on giving up either anytime soon.

I am telling you what though, I was more willing to do anything for my diet coke than for a cigarette when I was in rehab. I actually forgot I smoked but I sure remembered what diet coke was...lol. I stood for the first time for a few sips of diet coke! Those 5 seconds got me about a small cup of diet coke. They fast learned what my reward was. I would do anything for diet coke.